Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Fun for our Portugese speakers

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41094 comments Mod
Found this "author" by accident.

As you can see, it's also connected to other books/authors that need work. And while I could probably manage, I'm concerned that I'd accidentally mess something up that someone who actually understood the titles, etc. will not.

Thank you!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Rivka, it means "without illustration, figure, picture". Since it doen´t make any sense at all, I would delete it.

message 3: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments You have to go through each entry and delete the author from that edition - then we can merge the empty author to something like "not a book". But there are also a lot of other authors that show up here that need work like: SANDRA CARNEIRO/ESPIRITO BENTO JOSE. So not so simple.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Laura, I actually figured that out (thanks to Google ;) ). The problem is as Melody already explained.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments since I am a very new librarian, I don´t dare to make those changes unless you explain to me with more details. I don´t mind to help you in any case, on the contrary. I wonder who could make this kind of foolishness.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

People adding books to Amazon started the problem, presumably. ;)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments you are totally right Rivka, unbelievable!!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Amazon has 377 books in this condition.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Melody wrote: "You have to go through each entry and delete the author from that edition - then we can merge the empty author to something like "not a book". But there are also a lot of other authors that show u..."

May I try to work with Sandra Carneiro then?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Please do!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Rivka, may I ask you opinion about it? Since I am newbie as a GR librarian, I think the best way to proceed is step by step: first, by creating the author´s site, then the corresponding books and so on. After that we could follow Melody´s recommendation.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm not sure what you mean by "author's site". She already has a page (although it should be edited to fix the capitalization).

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments I was speaking generally, I mean page instead of site, sorry.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Not a problem! I just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Melody wrote: "You have to go through each entry and delete the author from that edition - then we can merge the empty author to something like "not a book". But there are also a lot of other authors that show u..."

Melody and Rivka, I have already fixed the problem with SANDRA CARNEIRO/ESPIRITO BENTO JOSE. Any other one?

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Actually, if you go back to the original "author", it looks like almost every real author also listed needs work!

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Ok, I fixed Marcia Leite also. However O DOMINIO DA RAINHA PENETRANDO COM O REINO DE DEUS NA JANELA 40/70
by C. Peter Wagner, S/ILUSTRACAO (Illustrator)
doesn´t exist!!! May I delete it?? I wonder where Amazon get these crazy records....

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Deleting it won't help. It will just repopulate.

Why are you sure it doesn't exist?

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments I looked at Wiki, Google books, all brazilian bookstores and finally at http://isbndb.com/

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That implies that it was a very limited release, not that it does not exist at all.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments okay, may I remove the illustrator as an co-author?

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The one that you said means "no image"? Of course! :) The only reason to leave them until you get to each one is to make the records easier to find.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments exactly!! In the meantime, I am working in some other Brazilian authors also since I noticed there are a lot of information missing, such author´s biography, book descriptions, cover book, etc etc etc.
Thanks you for your valuable comments!!

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

And thank you for all your help cleaning things up.

Don't forget that you can recruit other Portuguese-speaking librarians (see volunteer list) for help. :)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments My pleasure Rivka, since there is so much work to be done. Thanks to send me this volunteer list, I will contact them.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Barbara and Julia will join me!!!