Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Group Reads > Sept-Oct (b) Sword -n- Planet

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.E. Lindberg (SELindberg) | 1599 comments Mod
"Off the Planet;" Sword & Planet like Kenneth Bulmer's Dray Prescot Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1); or Edgar Rice Burroughs's John Carter of Mars.
Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Delian Cycle, #1) by Alan Burt Akers John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #11) by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

message 2: by Severius (new)

Severius | 9 comments Love Sword & Planet stories. I'll have to look through my library for something appropriate.

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 634 comments The matriarchal version:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/1902...

Reminded me a lot of the Gor series, which I had to give up because the books started to be 70% "sex slave" scenes.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments My favorite sword & planet so far is Banners of the Sa'Yen. The Dray Prescot books are great too but there are a lot of nouns to keep track of. Would the Richard Blade series be considered Sword & Planet? Blade explores different dimensions.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 634 comments I wish the Richard Blade series would be available on the Kindle. I used to love those.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments I've only read the first three but I look forward to reading the rest.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 421 comments Some suggestions:

Scout's Honor by Henry Vogel and the rest of the series -- an interstellar Scout First Class crashlands on a world, and adventures ensue

The Dragons of Dorcastle by Jack Campbell and the rest of the series. Steampunk and sorcery! And, as is hinted even in the first story, a lost colony world

Ice Crown by Andre Norton -- even though you can buy it only in the omnibus Ice and Shadow -- a girl brought on an archaeological expedition to a feudal, sword-wielding planet finds herself caught up in its intrigues.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 854 comments I'm torn -- it's been a while since I read John Carter, but on the other hand I just recently picked up Ray Cummings' Tama books. And there's always Almuric waiting for me ...

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 421 comments Here's a list, albeit a bit meager.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments Thank you for the share Mary!

message 11: by Dean (new)

Dean | 13 comments Lin Carter's sword and planet novels are quite amusing--Jandar Of Callisto and the sequels (except the Lancar one, that was a potato). His green star series is on my to-read list.

message 12: by Jack, Bran Jack Morn (new)

Jack (AlamoJack) | 500 comments Mod
Dean wrote: "Lin Carter's sword and planet novels are quite amusing--Jandar Of Callisto and the sequels (except the Lancar one, that was a potato). His green star series is on my to-read list."

Good suggestions, Dean. I have both series but have not read them yet. This group read will be a good opportunity to get some of these off of my shelf.

message 13: by Jack, Bran Jack Morn (new)

I'm starting the first book in Lin Carter's five-book Green Star series, Under the Green Star. Maybe I can get all five books done this month, but that's a lot of Lin Carter to read in a row.

message 14: by Severius (new)

Severius | 9 comments Under the Green Star is on my long list of books to read as well. I enjoy Carter's work most of the time.

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 854 comments I know I read the Green Star books at some point. I always have kind of a complicated relation with Lin Carter's fiction -- I appreciate that he's always very up-front about what he's trying to do and which author(s) he's trying to be influenced by, but his track record is kind of hit-or-miss.

Still, they're generally fun, quick reads; and I'll always be eternally grateful for the work he did as an editor.

For myself, I'm not entirely sure if it counts as sword & planet, but I just started reading Barrington J. Bayley's Star Winds probably for the first time since I was in high school. Or maybe college.

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments Awesome!!

message 19: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments Hey - in this group - you pick a theme and people read any book that fits into the theme? Rather than having one specific book (or series) that most people try to read during a time period? Is that correct?

message 20: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Haaze, yep. We actually have two themes typically (each two months duration).

This sept-oct we have
A) sword n planet
B) viking age

Join in!

message 21: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments So anything goes (as long as one follows the theme)? So it is more of an inspirational group in that sense since we will mostly be reading different books throughout the month?

message 22: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Yes, though obviously some folks pick the same book.
We are not picky here. anything that inspires polite conversation and reading is welcome.

message 23: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments Thanks S.E! :)

message 24: by John (new)

John Meszaros | 16 comments S. M. Sterling wrote a series called The Lords of Creation, which is a modern update of Sword and Planet.

The two books in the series are The Sky People and In the Courts of the Crimson Kings.

message 25: by Jack, Bran Jack Morn (last edited Sep 21, 2017 10:15AM) (new)

I finished the first book in Lin Carter's "Green Star" series, Under the Green Star. It was a fun read, straightforward Sword & Planet. Recommended for S&P fans. (view spoiler)

After the tale concludes, Carter included an epilogue about the writing and influence of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Carter notes that with this book, he intended to create "a Burroughs kind of story, rather than a Burroughs story." I think he succeeded. He makes an interesting comparison to his Callisto books (at the time of writing, Book 1 of that series was soon to be published). Carter stated that the Callisto books "are written in a close approximation of Burroughs' own prose style." Fortunately, I also own this series, and I will see if Carter's attempt a ERB style worked.

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 854 comments Jack wrote: "He makes an interesting comparison to his Callisto books (at the time of writing, Book 1 of that series was soon to be published). Carter stated that the Callisto books "are written in a close approximation of Burroughs' own prose style." Fortunately, I also own this series, and I will see if Carter's attempt a ERB style worked. "

Someday I need to read Callisto.

That's one thing I've always liked about Carter -- he was never shy about identifying his influences and/or the stylistic effects he was trying to create.

message 27: by David (last edited Sep 24, 2017 04:44PM) (new)

David | 5 comments Joining the conversation a bit late and I haven't read the pair of books but I am enjoying reading this conversation. Have limited experience in the Sword and Planet sub-genre. So it's nice to hear recommendations and comments from some smart folks and savvy readers.

message 28: by Joseph (last edited Oct 12, 2017 08:10AM) (new)

Joseph | 854 comments Relevant to this group read: Gardner F. Fox's Thief of Llarn (second of the two Llarn books) is currently free on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Thief-Llarn-Ga...

(Also, most or all of his sword & sorcery stuff -- the five Kothar novels and the four Kyrik novels, amongst others -- is available for somewhere around $2.99 each.)

message 29: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments DUDE! I've been looking for a paperback version of this for years. Thanks for the heads up.

message 31: by Severius (new)

Severius | 9 comments Started reading The Secret of Sinharat/People of the Talisman this weekend. I'm really enjoying it. Leigh Brackett's dialog is amazing, really some of the best I've read in a while.

message 32: by Jack, Bran Jack Morn (new)

Severius wrote: "Started reading The Secret of Sinharat/People of the Talisman this weekend. I'm really enjoying it. Leigh Brackett's dialog is amazing, really some of the best I've read in a while."

I haven't seen this one before. I'll have to check it out.

message 33: by Severius (last edited Oct 24, 2017 02:39PM) (new)

Severius | 9 comments Jack wrote: "I haven't seen this one before. I'll have to check it out."

I really liked them both. Leigh Brackett is great and I wasn't disappointed. I really liked the feel of her Mars, how it was filled with ancient ruins and long dead civilizations.

Now that I've finished with these, I started Warrior of Llarn. Frazetta's cover for it is amazing, I've been staring it all day.

message 34: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments Severius wrote: "Jack wrote: "Severius wrote: "Started reading The Secret of Sinharat/People of the Talisman this weekend. I'm really enjoying it. Leigh Brackett's dialog is amazing, really some of t..."

Warrior of Llarn is one of my favorites!

message 35: by Severius (new)

Severius | 9 comments Finished Warrior of Llarn last night. I thought it was great, and I raced through it in a day. The prose was a little stiff in places, and dialog was often interrupted by the narrator telling us the rest of a what a character had to say. But the story was fun and I thought the world and its alien creatures were interesting. Overall I really enjoyed it.

Now on to Thief of Llarn

message 36: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 854 comments Speaking of sword & planet stuff, this just arrived in a box from an eBay seller today ...

description

message 37: by Richard (new)

Richard | 343 comments Oooh! Neat!

message 38: by Severius (new)

Severius | 9 comments Wow that looks really cool, Joseph. I love old games like that. My dad had a copy of the Avalon Hill Dune board game when I was a kid. I only played it a couple of times but it was pretty fun.

message 39: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 854 comments It sounds interesting ... If I understand correctly, each player controls a hero who (in typical Barsoomian fashion) is haring all over the planet to rescue his lady-love; each player also controls a villain who's trying to thwart another player's hero.

message 40: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 76 comments Joseph wrote: "Speaking of sword & planet stuff, this just arrived in a box from an eBay seller today ...

"

It's a fun game. I bought that when it first came out way back when. I was kinda addicted to SPI board games back in the day...

message 41: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 854 comments Bruce wrote: "Joseph wrote: "Speaking of sword & planet stuff, this just arrived in a box from an eBay seller today ...

"

It's a fun game. I bought that when it first came out way back when. I was kinda addict..."

Thanks! It's nice to hear from somebody who actually played it ...

message 42: by Severius (new)

Severius | 9 comments I finished Thief of Llarn by Gardner F. Foxa couple of days ago. I liked it a lot. Compared toWarrior of Llarn, I thought the story expanded on the world well, and I liked how Fox didn't interrupt dialog with narration as much. The story was really good, but I thought the end was a bit of a let down. The final resolution sad, and I think could have been done better.

message 43: by Rob (new)

Rob | 4 comments John wrote: "S. M. Sterling wrote a series called The Lords of Creation, which is a modern update of Sword and Planet.

The two books in the series are The Sky People and In the Courts of the Crimson Kings."

I really enjoyed these I have to say