Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3723 comments Mod
So, we think that it would be fun to maybe have a challenge... We'd like to keep it small, for fun only. No prizes or anything like WT!

Would you be interested? If so, please throw some ideas out there for challenge tasks, and we'll throw something together.

I'm thinking of a maximum of 20 tasks (since HF books can be long!), for a four month time frame starting September 1... Point scales to be determined. :)

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 44 comments I enjoy doing challenges! I'd probably participate.

Here's some ideas for tasks:
Read a YA Historical Fiction<3
Read a book set during a war
Read an HF book set in Asia
Read an HF book set in Africa
Read an HF book longer than 400 pages

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

WOW! If I didn't know better, I'd think you were waiting on me to open this thread! LOL

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments April is the challenge queen! I can't do them. I cannot do assigned readings in any way, shape or form. I'm way too immature and undisciplined. :D

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Allison wrote: "April is the challenge queen! I can't do them. I cannot do assigned readings in any way, shape or form. I'm way too immature and undisciplined. :D"

*says NOTHING*

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new)

*whistles* Oh, hi! Some silence that was, huh? :P

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments OMG...I was trying to think of something really funny to say back to you and I have nothing.

BUT I did think of something really cool to change my mod name to. lol.

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon | 362 comments i think im ready to dip my toe challengeward again, if it was a little one

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 324 comments Those are some fantastic ideas! I just joined this group but I'd definitely be up for a challenge :)

message 11: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hehehe... Everyone just joined this group! I just started it 3 days ago. ;)

message 12: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments I like Fiona's First book of a big saga.

I just bought Outlander and I'm itching to get started.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments I can't wait to see what you think, Outlander is (probably) on my top 5 favorite list.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 324 comments Becky wrote: "Hehehe... Everyone just joined this group! I just started it 3 days ago. ;)"

haha I didn't realize... great group though. Seems to be catching on quickly.

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Becky wrote: "Hehehe... Everyone just joined this group! I just started it 3 days ago. ;)"

haha I didn't realize... great group though. Seems to be catching on quickly. "

THanks!

message 16: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Here's a recap of the task suggestions so far:

1) Read a YA Historical Fiction
2) Read a book set during a war
3) Read an HF book set in Asia
4) Read an HF book set in Africa
5) Read an HF book longer than 400 pages
6) Read a book about a king/queen not of England.
7) Read a book set in B.C
8) Read the first book of a big saga.
9) Read a classic historical book
(this would be where the book is a classic (i.e old) but set before the time it was even written i.e Lorna Doone, The Three Musketeers)
10) Read any historical but submit a review of at least 500 words.
11) Read a PERIOD historical i.e a book set in the past/history but about fictional characters

Keep them coming! :)

message 17: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'll add some more to this:

12) Read a HF recommended (or rated 5 stars) by someone NOT on your friends list.
13) Read a second book by one of the authors used for another task and write a short review comparing the two books and which you liked better.
(For example, if you choose Philippa Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl" for #10, then you could read "The Queen's Fool" or another P.G. book and compare them.)
14) Read a HF Group Read book during September, October, November or December.
15) Read a HF book by an author who does not usually write HF. (Example: Markus Zusak or Stephen King)
16) Read a book set within the last 50 years.
17) Read a book written by one of the "Favorite Authors" listed in the group.
18) Read a HF crime or mystery.
19) Read a book about a specific event in history.
20) Read a book containing time travel to the past.

Anyone else want to add any? We have 20 now, but I'd like to have as many as possible to choose from. :)

message 18: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments Okay I have an outragious idea for calculating points.

I noticed with TNBBC challenges there would be a 25 point task where you were supposed to read 3 books and a 30 point task where you only have to read one. This doesn't add up to me...why would I spend the time to read 3 books for less points than one book (aside from the fact that the challenge is about the enjoyment of reading:))

I think the point value should be based on the number of pages. Or every book is automatically 5 points so multiple book challenges compare nicely.

I don't know...what do you all think?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds about right to me Felina. I like the number of pages idea. A lot of HF books are pretty long, so that would work out well I think.

I'm excited about this challenge. It will get me reading more HF!

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 11, 2009 09:14AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 324 comments I think that sounds like a great idea Felina!
The bigger the book, the bigger the points or else I think we would limit our choices to smaller books and not necessarily the best ones :)

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments Jennifer - I totally agree. If I'm going to spend my time reading Shogun at 900+ pages I want that to reflect in my score. Otherwise I read a 900+ page book for 5 points and someone else reads a 200 page book for the same points. Hurts my feelings it does!

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 324 comments Same goes for me if I get the chance to read The Memoirs of Cleopatra!

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Aug 11, 2009 07:34PM) (new)

OK how about something like bonus points based on pages? How about something like this:

Up to 150 pages = 2 bonus points
151 to 400 pages = 4 bonus points
401 to 650 pages = 6 bonus points
651 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

So, lets say that the task is worth 15 points, and the book used is 750 pages, that person would get 15 points for completing the task plus 8 bonus points for the number of pages read?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments I think that is a great idea Becky...I think keeping track of total pages and/or assigning a page # range for every task would be very cumbersome and this bonus points system keeps us away from that.

message 25: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yep... I'm all about simplicity...

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

So... does anyone else want to throw some tasks out there, or do we want to go ahead with the 20 we have?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments <----- has no opinion since she can't participate due to being mentally challenged.

message 28: by Becky, Moddess (new)

>=\

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments well :P mentally challenged in the discipline category ;) hehe.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments those are pretty good tasks though.

message 31: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments I really REALLY like the point system. Becky...is a genius.

message 32: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments I have an idea for a challenge...Because I love holidays and themes, since this challenge will be during October how about a challenge to read a HF book that is about the Salem Witch Trials or something equally sinister?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 344 comments ooo like The Heretic's Daughter! I want to read that.

message 34: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Felina wrote: "I have an idea for a challenge...Because I love holidays and themes, since this challenge will be during October how about a challenge to read a HF book that is about the Salem Witch Trials or some..."

Perfect! :)

message 35: by April (last edited Aug 11, 2009 09:30PM) (new)

April (booksandwine) | 44 comments Well, the thing with points by pages is that some books are way easier to read despite having more pages, I mean, compare Twilight which has 498 pages according to GR with Walden by Henry David Thoreau which has 384 pages according to GR. I bet Twilight will read faster, and I hate to say this but in no way do I think someone deserves more points for reading Twilight which has more pages than points for Walden which is more complex. If anything, I think it should be left up to the challenge moderator, because it can be a pain in the ass to calculate even more stats.

Oh, and I'm one of the ones who has three books for my 25-point challenge. The Reading Through The Ages task was my task, I saw it as being challenging plus not too limiting, plus I earned the right to create whatever task I wanted, by completing all of the Spring Challenge tasks. The pages totals for those three books for me are much less than the page totals for the Presidents task. So really, I think it is all in the eye of the beholder. (That's in reference to the TNBBC summer challenge)

Edit: I keep editing this LOL, but FYI I know we obviously would not be reading Twilight and Walden for a Historical Fiction challenge!

message 36: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments April, You're right. Depending on your book choice a 3fer could be easier than one read.

I never really thought that the exact page number would be a good idea thats why I asked everybody what they thought. I think Becky's solution is going to work out nicely.

I understand what you mean about the depth and quality of a book making it harder or easier to read it. But it seemed to me that the point values for the Cynthia's Challenge were really arbitrary. I guess it just confused me that there was no real back bone to the point system.

And please understand that my question on this thread was in no way put and posted with any disrespect. I think its amazing that you guys can finish that challenge. You more than deserve to create your own challenge.

message 37: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hmmm... that's a very fair point April. Maybe we should institute density/anti-fluff bonus points? (I'm thinking along the lines here of First Man in Rome -which could be used for a number of different tasks, and is by all accounts pretty dense- vs a book like The Other Boleyn Girl which seems to be much "fluffier" from what I've heard.)

I'd ask for the person who read the book to somehow rate it as either "Fluff", "Dense" or neither, (I'll give this some thought), and then award bonus points on the perceived density.

The problem though, is that those would be very subjective. If someone who reads a lot of books like Twilight (which I enjoyed) but doesn't read a lot of classics (which I also enjoy), reads a book and finds it dense, that doesn't necessarily mean it IS dense. And then there could be a lot of confusion between "dislike" and "density", if you know what I mean.

But still I think it's worth a try. Post any ideas you have regarding a weight scale, or point scale, or anything really, and I'll try to work something out to make it as fair as possible for everyone.

I agree that Cynthia's challenge points were very arbitrary - but it can be argued that one must choose between reading the book for the book or reading the book for the points. I think that we can somehow make it work that we don't have to choose a different book just for higher points, and get a decent amount of points for the long and/or dense book that we choose to read.

message 38: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments Wouldn't the fact that someone finds a book dense mean that it was a tough read for them regardless if it would be for anybody else? I mean, if you never read classics or dense books then maybe Twilight would be a tough read for you. In that case, you probably 'struggled' through it like someone else might 'struggle' through Walden.

I think that part would come down to the honor code. We pretty much have a good idea of what types of books each other reads. I know that if you (Becky) claim that Twilight was a dense read then your not being entirely truthful. :) I think we would have a good platform to question that sort of thing and if nothing else it would make for awesome discussion asking someone to explain why a particular book was a tough read for them.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Becky's Bonus points system. Even if longer books aren't always harder to read, I think it is a pretty good system. No matter how long the book is, you are going to get some kind of bonus points. And no matter how dense the book is, if you are reading something with 1000+ pages, I think you deserve the 10 point bonus. :)

message 40: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 44 comments Felina, I totally did not take it that way!! :-)

I think everyone makes good points, I just felt that point ought to be made. I am assuming Becky is the challenge moderator, so therefore it is her jurisdiction to decide how she wants to award points. Maybe Cynthia has the particular points system she does because it is easier for her to calculate, I think this current challenge has over 100 participants. If Becky wants to include page bonuses more power to her, just don't let adding up points take over your life. :-)

message 41: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments oh geez... I was all afraid I had offended you.

So you didn't decide the point value for your challenge?

message 42: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL Believe me, I have NO intention of being bogged down by point calculations. That's what Excel is for. All I would need to do is enter the points next to the person's name, and I'd get an automatic tally.

We just need to figure out the metrics for points and then we will be all set.

April, in your perfect challenge world, how would you award the points regarding density?

message 43: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 44 comments Becky, I wouldn't, I'm too lazy, plus I see it as the potential to start arguments LIKE OH MY BOOK HAS WAY MORE VALUEZ!

Felina, the 30 and 25 pointers were decided on who finished when. The 30 pointers were the first 10 people who finished, and the 25 pointers were everyone who finished after that. :-)

message 44: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments I get it. Thanks April.

message 45: by Becky, Moddess (new)

April wrote: "Becky, I wouldn't, I'm too lazy, plus I see it as the potential to start arguments LIKE OH MY BOOK HAS WAY MORE VALUEZ!

Felina, the 30 and 25 pointers were decided on who finished when. The 30 po..."

You forgot the most important part of the argument: "zOMG!1!!1!"

message 46: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 44 comments hahahahah, how could I forget the zOMG! LOL

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is the list I have come up with. Any help on the tasks not filled in would be greatly appreciated! :)

Also, let me know if something doesn't fit for the task I have it for and I will move it.

5 POINTS
5.2 Shogun
5.3 Outlander
5.4 Labyrinth
5.5 The Grass Crown

10 POINTS
10.1 Rebel Angels
10.2 Caesar's Women
10.3 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

15 POINTS
15.1 Gone With The Wind
15.3 Memoirs of a Geisha
15.4 The First Man in Rome
15.5 A Northern Light

20 POINTS
20.1 The Sweet Far Thing (Is it okay to use a book from a series for this task? I am reading another book from the same series for 10.1)
20.2 Girl with a Pearl Earring
20.3 The Thirteenth Tale (Becky gave it 5 stars)
20.5 TBD - September

25 POINT BONUS TASK
25.1 Fortune's Favorites

message 48: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I've opened the other thread if you want to post your lists... I forgot about that. :)

But please keep the questions in this thread!

Linda, you can use a series book for 20.1 as long as you're reading another book by the same author for another task, which you are, so yes. :)

I'll look at the books I'm not familiar with later, if you'd like me to, but I don't intend to review or police everyone's list. This is pretty much a hand-picked group and I trust you all!

message 49: by Becky, Moddess (new)

PS. I think you'd really like The Thirteenth Tale! :D

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Okay thanks!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.