Historical Fictionistas discussion

Buddy Reads > The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough

This is the first book of McCullough's Masters of Rome series, and I know several of us are already interested in reading it together sometime in September so...making it official!

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments Yay so excited!! :-D

message 3: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) | 5 comments Is that like a sequel type thing to Thornbirds? I read the big TB last summer and adored it.

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It is NOT a sequel to Thornbirds. I have read almost every book she's ever written numerous times, and would love to try to trick you into thinking you have to read those next, but that would be wrong;)

The cover I have is not on here, but I prefer it. It's a bas relief (sp?) of Romans.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough

Sorry, I had to put in the ISBN.

message 6: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) | 5 comments Ahhh, that makes sense. I vote yes on reading it. September we said?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments yup...shall we make it the first week of September to get started? Everybody just make sure to mark your spoilers as you read with a chapter number!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I am starting September 1! :) Can't wait!!

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I had not realized that Antony and Cleopatra A Novel was considered part of this series until just now. It's the last. I think that any of the series after Caesar A Novel are kind of extra, as they are kind of re-tld from different viewpoints. Everything she writes is worth reading, I just hate for someone to feel they are comitting YEARS to a series.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments I am dying to start this.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments have you started Song of Troy yet K?

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Nope. I am devoting every ounce of my attention to W&G, so I can justify doing the same to Troy! Well, other than the book on CD I listen to in the car.

message 13: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments Anybody getting ready to start this one??

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't remember where I posted this before, but to prevent any frustration, I strongly suggest you at least skim the glossary before beginning, and copy the Cursus Honorum on a piece of paper and maybe use that as a bookmark. That's a list, in order, of the positions they must hold in the Roman Government. Especially in the first book, it's a little hard to remember who outranks who, and it's quite important.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm totally ready to start this book. I already have it on hold at my library, ready to start on the 1st. :)

message 16: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments I already started it cause I'm naughty. Its so good and I can't wait to talk about it!!!

message 17: by Frances (new)

Frances | 8 comments I read First Man in Rome a while back and found it rather heavy going, but I liked Caesar's Women & October Horse, and I really loved Caesar. Have put aside Antony & Cleopatra, just was not enjoying it at all. Willing to give First Man another shot if you think it's worth it!

JG (Introverted Reader) I am so torn about this. Part of me really, really, REALLY wants to read along with you guys. But the biggest part of me is a little overloaded on HF right now and just can't face a 900 page book. I'll probably pass at the moment, but I hope you guys enjoy the book and your discussion!

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The first time I read First Man in Rome, it WAS a bit of a job, but I think that's because nothing I had read about the period was quite so accurate and detailed. This book gives you so much information in the first, that by the time you continue the series you have learned so much they feel easier. My favorites in the series were The Grass Crown, because I love Sulla so much, and Caesar's Women because of Cleopatra. I love them all, though!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments I just had to move in a hurry...and shoved my books in trash bags because I didn't have time to find boxes...aaaaaaand I can't find this one. Grr. I'm going to work on unpacking and sorting them this weekend...then I'll get started.

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments Books in trash bags?!? *felina gets visibly sick*

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments well I stacked them and moved them carefully so they aren't all bent up or anything :P

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't care if it IS bent, I want you to find it! Bending does not impair the quality at all...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Kandice wrote: "I don't care if it IS bent, I want you to find it! Bending does not impair the quality at all..."

I promise I will this weekend :D I'm buying plastic tubs to organize them in for now.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments I went to a second-hand bookstore the other day and found this one sitting on the shelf. Hardcover. No price. So I asked the guy how much and he said "meh. $5? I'd normally charge more but no one else is going to want THAT book!" like I was nuts for buying it. He figured I was a history major :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe that's great Jennifer. I picked this book up from the library today and will start it shortly.

message 27: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3407 comments Mod
I just got this in the mail today!! YAY!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Becky wrote: "I just got this in the mail today!! YAY!"

when you starting it?

message 29: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments Yay Becky!

I'm starting this one next week. :-)

message 30: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments Jennifer, Thats hilarious. This book is so good. Thats what I think is so funny about 2nd hand stores. Usually when I go to thrift shops for books people are fighting eachother for Nora Roberts (no offense if you like it, I don't) while they don't even look at some gems. I've found some awesome books in the 'free' piles because nobody wanted them, had been there for over 6 months and they were trying to unload them.

message 31: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments Felina wrote: "Jennifer, Thats hilarious. This book is so good. Thats what I think is so funny about 2nd hand stores. Usually when I go to thrift shops for books people are fighting eachother for Nora Roberts (no..."
LOL why, why would you fight over Nora Roberts, when there is a beautiful Collen McCullough right there, or some lonely Jane Austen. I guess the masses are asses.

message 32: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments Ha ha. Yeah I found The Blind Assassin in mint condition in the free pile as well as three of the Anne of Green Gables books. I died.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments I know, right? I couldn't believe my luck!
One man's treasure, I suppose...

message 34: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I will probably start it after I finish the Abhorsen series Al, but I don't know... because... *gulp* I've requested Fortune's Favorites, Caesar's Women, and Caesar from PBS. That's close to 5,000 pages, because I'll have to read the series straight through. O_O

*grin*

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You don't HAVE to read it straight through...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Becky does :P lol.

I'm starting this today!

message 37: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yeah... I do... I don't like to interrupt series books.

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Becky wrote: "Yeah... I do... I don't like to interrupt series books."

*shakes head*

message 39: by Becky, Moddess (new)

What? I consider a series to be one story. If I'm reading a regular book, I don't stop after every chapter and read another chapter from a different book. WEIRD! LOL

message 40: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Plus, it's ONLY 5100 pages. O_o

message 41: by Kandice (new)

Kandice YOU. ARE. WEIRD.

@-@

message 42: by Becky, Moddess (new)

But you love me.

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yes. I do. I certainly do! ♥

JG (Introverted Reader) Even though I won't be joining in this time around, I did find a hardcover copy at my library book sale this weekend for $1? $2? Super-super-cheap anyway. So it's sitting here staring at me. Along with everything else I bought. :-)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments I'm about 130 pages into it and loving it! Very addicting actually. I couldn't put it down last night.

message 47: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments Thats how I feel Allison. I'm about half-way through the book now. I had to force myself to take a break from it for the weekend because I was becoming obsessed.

message 48: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's a compelling read. I remember I had no idea how the Roman Senate worked. I was amazed at how much political maneuvering was going on behind the scenes and that, seemingly EVERYONE knew it! It was so much more ruthless and scandalous than politics now. I had read All the King's Men pretty recently, and had been shocked by it. After this series, that book seemed tame.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments I took your advice K, and wrote down the cursus honorum or whatever its called on a sticky note, because like you said...all the steps that aren't official, but help you gain recognition and such are the ones that are the most confusing!

message 50: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Even when I was looking at it and trying to tell you...well I had forgotten lots! Like Tribune of the Plebs...etc. I hope it's helping:) Do you love Marius?

« previous 1