How to Train with a T. Rex and Win 8 Gold Medals How to Train with a T. Rex and Win 8 Gold Medals discussion

Meet the artist!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ward (new) - added it

Ward Jenkins Hi there! I illustrated "How to Train With a T. Rex and Win 8 Gold Medals". My name is Ward Jenkins and I live in Portland, Oregon with my wife, Andrea, and my two kids: Ava (9) and Ezra (5). I've been working in the animation industry for over 12 years and have recently been working on various illustration projects. This is my first children's book, and hopefully more will follow. (Tell Simon & Schuster you like me!)

If you're curious as to how I illustrated the book, it's quite simple. First, I drew rough sketches in pencil to flesh out the characters and settings for each spread. I then I drew everything in tighter pencil line and scanned in all the drawings into my computer. (I use a Mac, by the way.) I then painted everything in Photoshop, but tried my best to retain a natural look to the artwork. Sometimes working in the computer makes things look too computer-y, and I wanted to make sure that the pencil line could still be detected. It was a LOT of fun to do this book! I hope that it shows in the artwork.

If you have any other questions about this book or my work, please feel free to ask away!

Ward

Mr. T.J. I used this picture book as a read aloud for third, fourth and fifth graders to inspire them and inform them how hard Michael Phelps had to work for 6 years to get to the Beijing 2008 Olympics and win 8 gold medals. Then his work becomes a great reference to what hard work really looks like. Thanks so much Ward for illustrating this book.