Silent World — A discussion group discussion

Silent Fear (A novel inspired by true crimes)
This topic is about Silent Fear
Silent Fear (the novel) > Introducing...Detective Valerie Crowther (Coda)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James, Group Founder (last edited Aug 22, 2017 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Morcan | 49 comments Mod
Our lead character in Silent Fear (A novel inspired by true crimes) is Detective Valerie Crowther, who is a Coda (aka Child of a deaf adult).

Silent Fear (A novel inspired by true crimes) by Lance Morcan

Detective Valerie Crowther, of London's New Scotland Yard, takes on a serial killer and a killer virus in Silent Fear.

As a Coda (child of a deaf adult) who is fluent in sign language, Valerie is the Yard's logical choice to head an investigation into the murder of a student at a university for the deaf. She had to grow up fast looking after her deaf mother, which no doubt explains her no-nonsense persona. Tall and lithe with a natural beauty that turns heads, her good looks belie her ability to kick ass when the situation demands it. And boy does she kick some ass.

Here is Valerie's character page here on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/characters/...

message 2: by Lance, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lance Morcan | 44 comments Mod

Detective Valerie Crowther, the feisty heroine of Silent Fear, is not one to mince her words. Here’s a random selection of statements our Val makes in the course of the novel…

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

“Now I have a serial killer and a killer virus to contend with!”

“Last I heard being gay doesn’t automatically mean you’re a serial killer.”

“This plonker’s going to be the death of me!”

“You can’t be serious!”

“Where do they get these guys?”

“Who do these bastards think they are?”

“All I wanted was a nice quiet life!”

You’ll have gathered by now that our Val is not to be messed with. Her feistiness is nowhere more evident than when she’s attacked by rebellious deaf students intent on escaping the deadly quarantine they’ve found themselves caught up in. Here’s an excerpt from that action-packed event: https://morcanbooksandfilms.com/2017/...

As you can see, our Val really does kick butt in Silent Fear!

Reminding you the Kindle eBook version is available via Amazon Pre-orders and will be auto-delivered to buyers’ Kindles on October 31st via: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075HRYTVC/

The paperback is available now via: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0473408120

And don’t forget advance review copies are still available via this group’s thread at: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by James, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seems our heroine Valerie has made quite an impression on one book reviewer at least. Here's an excerpt from a recent review of Silent Fear:

First Class Detective Superintendent Valerie Crowther was a no-nonsense Scotland Yard cop fluent in British Sign Language. The ideal person for the job. As a woman she was severely tested, proofing to every person involved that she was more than capable to do the work. With a heatwave that send the temperature up to 39ᵒC, with no working air-cons inside which raised the temperature inside the Uni to more than 40 Degrees. Add the growing tension of a serial killer on the loose and the H7N7 virus on the prowl for its next victim the temperature was 50 degrees going to 100. A boiling pot that she had to manage as best she could. During the entire ordeal she had to cope with difficult lecturers and students alike and be depended on people. Amidst it all she had to face a mother’s depression, an ex-husband, her immediate boss, and the occult plus nosy reporters. These two tested her patience to the max. Between all the deaths surrounding her she kept her focus and levelheadedness. Even during her own abduction she remained calm, her emotions always in control while tension was growing around her. Her pain and fears elevated her sense of survival and she stayed true to herself. My admiration and respect for this woman grew with each obstacle she had to face. She was thrown in at the deep end and persevered. Her strength and agility a true testimony of her persona.

For full review go to: http://lynelleclarkaspiredwriter.blog...

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments I thought Valerie was a strong character, I did wish she would have been a bit more tougher with her questioning, suspects seemed to be hiding information and she doesn't persist with her questions.

message 5: by Lance, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason wrote: "I thought Valerie was a strong character, I did wish she would have been a bit more tougher with her questioning, suspects seemed to be hiding information and she doesn't persist with her questions."

I guess she was kinda hamstrung. It's not like she had back-up or could put any uncooperative people behind bars if they didn't answer questions. But thanks for the feedback.

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments I would have used up my taser in the first hour :-)

message 7: by Lance, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason wrote: "I would have used up my taser in the first hour :-)"

Ha! Me, too.

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments And then I would start asking questions. Ya can't beat a healthy dose of tasing to set the mood.

message 9: by James, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's now clear why your application to work at Scotland Yard was not successful, Jason :)

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments Pfft, they have no idea how close they came to having a proper modern day Miss Marple on their hands.

message 11: by James, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason wrote: "Pfft, they have no idea how close they came to having a proper modern day Miss Marple on their hands."

:)

Harry Whitewolf | 6 comments Jason wrote: "Pfft, they have no idea how close they came to having a proper modern day Miss Marple on their hands."

Sounds like you'd be more Regan from The Sweeney than you'd be Miss Marple!

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments Hah. Regan doesn't have the facial hair.