Recipes Galore discussion

Chilli, Soup and Stews > Spicy Coconut Cream Cabbage Soup

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali | 130 comments Mod
This sounds fantastic...I think it will be a favorite of mine!

Thanks for posting!

:)

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) Wow! This sounds like an interesting combo. I can't wait to try it. :P

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 9 comments Yum! I LOVE the texture of cooked cabbage! When you stir fry it in the beginning, does it get those nice little gold brown bits on the edges, like brussels sprouts?

The coconut cream sounds very interesting. Do you think that using broth instead of water would be a nice savory addition to the soup, or would it contrast too much with the sweetness?

Also, for those not totally comfortable with using stevia, and who don't want the taste of honey, I've found that agave is a great sweetener with virtually no taste of its own.

Thanks for the recipe, Eugene!

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Nov 28, 2009 11:10AM) (new)

Sarah | 9 comments I finally got around to making this, Eugene. We're having a cold, rainy, windy day in southern California (which is rare!) and it was perfect.

I did go the more savory route. I used peanut oil for stir frying the cabbage and tofu, and broth instead of water. I also had a leek threatening to go bad, so I threw that in, too. I added a little more agave to adjust the sweetness enough to keep up.

And you're right - the more heat (spice, not temperature) that I added, the better it tasted. The chili really opens up your taste buds for the coconut. Good recipe!

If you like this, you should check out this recipe by Heidi Swanson. It's the same concept of golden tofu, with sweetness and Brussels sprouts.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/...

message 5: by Bev (new)

Bev Patterson | 4 comments Speaking of Chille, Stew and Soup does anybody have any thoughts on Dutch Ovens - are they worth the penny, do they make a difference in how things cook/taste (more tender?). I have a yen to go get the top of the line model, Le Creuset/sp? but not sure KitchenAid would do just as well. I'd love your feedback.

Bev - the kitchen monkey