Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Book Cover Challenge > The Book Cover Challenge Rules

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Aug 21, 2017 10:22AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7505 comments Mod
Created by Jenna :)

The Book Cover Challenge involves copying the list below to your own challenge thread, then filling your book information as you read titles that match the categories. Only one topic can be completed by each cover. Other than Scott (who has to follow cover-matching exactly), what "qualifies" for each category is completely up to you. Have fun!

Copy and paste the following to your thread:
Red cover
Orange cover
Yellow cover
Green cover
Blue cover
Purple cover

Pink cover
White cover
Black cover
Metallic cover

Cover with the author’s name in the biggest font
Cover with the title in the biggest font

Cover with a tower
Cover with a cityscape
Cover with a boat/ship
Cover with a house

Cover with a tree
Cover with a mountain
Cover with a night sky

Cover with a man
Cover with a woman
Cover with a dragon
Cover with a bird
Cover with a magical creature

Cover with a weapon
Cover with a crown
Cover with a cloak
Cover with a mask

message 2: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 17020 comments I see some of the older threads have a Rainbow cover on their list... was this cut on purpose or accident?... seems like a hard cover to fill...

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Iain wrote: "I see some of the older threads have a Rainbow cover on their list... was this cut on purpose or accident?... seems like a hard cover to fill..."

I added it to my challenge (with a few others) to personalize it a bit and others followed suit (you're welcome to as well). This list is the original template. :)

message 4: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
*Pops some popcorn... waits for Scott to come in and roast Niki about changing her challenge*

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Margret wrote: "*Pops some popcorn... waits for Scott to come in and roast Niki about changing her challenge*"

Hahaha - don't tell him!!!! He'll start looking critically at what I did to my A-Z challenge....

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Margret wrote: "*Pops some popcorn... waits for Scott to come in and roast Niki about changing her challenge*"

In my defense, I changed it before I started it haha. Not cheating!!

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I accepted that there has to be special rules to punish me for my greatness.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

That would be petty.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Scott wrote: "Margret wrote: "*Pops some popcorn... waits for Scott to come in and roast Niki about changing her challenge*"

That would be petty."

Hahaha, nice tactic.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "Scott wrote: "Margret wrote: "*Pops some popcorn... waits for Scott to come in and roast Niki about changing her challenge*"

That would be petty."

Hahaha, nice tactic."

You can always tell who's married.

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Scott wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Scott wrote: "Margret wrote: "*Pops some popcorn... waits for Scott to come in and roast Niki about changing her challenge*"

That would be petty."

Hahaha, nice tactic."

You c..."

Lol true story.

message 12: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

That's why we never give up our arguing.. there is no greater sanctity than that of the competition between husband and wife

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 17020 comments So... "We don't keep score." -- the mantra of someone who's losing?

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 24, 2017 07:13AM) (new)

Iain there's really no score. All of the mods are friends at this point and we just like poking fun at each other to keep it light. The book cover challenge is just my turn to be the object of their jesting.

There's no score. We hope everybody simply has fun and as a bonus they finish and do the next challenge.

message 15: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I think Ian's also joking but yes, all of the banter is in good fun :)

message 16: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7793 comments Is it way too late for me to start one of these? Looks fun!

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Siobhan wrote: "Is it way too late for me to start one of these? Looks fun!"

Nope join and enjoy.

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7793 comments Scott wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Is it way too late for me to start one of these? Looks fun!"

Nope join and enjoy."

Thanks Scott :)

message 19: by Loralie (new)

Loralie | 48 comments This sounds fun.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm gonna join for this one too. Because you guys are right - it's fun.
And speaking about the rainbow - I just discovered one book on my shelves with a beautiful rainbow on it. (that too just when I was thinking it would be an impoosible task to find something like that. :))

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Are all the categories staying the same for 2018? I can see the color ones staying the same but was wondering about the rest.

message 22: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 17020 comments We should brainstorm some new category ideas... some people already have done so with their current challenges...

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Iain wrote: "We should brainstorm some new category ideas... some people already have done so with their current challenges..."

We can do that? I hadn't noticed. I'm game but I don't want to make it too hard, lol.

message 24: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 17020 comments Yea... I dunno what to add... I kinda want to go "inception" and include a book with a book on the cover, if I happen across one...

message 25: by Bill (last edited Dec 28, 2017 09:15AM) (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Book covers aren’t something I usually pay any attention to so I really enjoyed this challenge.

If starting a second challenge we could do fantasy races(dwarves, elves, fairies). We could switch up the nature to sun, moon, water, snow and desert.

Maybe also some humorous categories like cheesiest cover, sexiest cover, worst photoshop image.

message 26: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 17020 comments Niki added the rainbow cover, planet cover, space ship (separate from boat/ship) cover, alien cover, magician cover, and pretty dress cover... she also dropped the font covers

message 27: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 17020 comments In the romance and Urban Fantasy categories, you can easily do "read 2 books with the same cover"

Secrets after Dark by Marie Higgins A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink Melodia al crepuscolo (Drake Sisters, #2) (Christmas, #2) by Christine Feehan Jack (A Grim Reaper Romance, #1) by Cali MacKay

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I may not go rogue often, but when I do, I add aliens.

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I think a revamp is a great idea! I might just add it on to my current challenge rather than starting anew. I see some cool brainstorming already. Once we have enough, I'd be happy to start a "Book Cover Challenge 2.0" thread. :)

message 30: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 934 comments Iain wrote: "Yea... I dunno what to add... I kinda want to go "inception" and include a book with a book on the cover, if I happen across one..."

Books on a book cover, I have some of those if you want recs.

You guys are making me want to try this challenge too....

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "In the romance and Urban Fantasy categories, you can easily do "read 2 books with the same cover"

Secrets after Dark by Marie HigginsA Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink[bookcover:Melod..."

That's hilarious... and kind of embarrassing for the authors. Like wearing the same dress as someone to the same party.

message 32: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 934 comments So I'm in! Set up my book cover challenge for 2018.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I think a revamp is a great idea! I might just add it on to my current challenge rather than starting anew. I see some cool brainstorming already. Once we have enough, I'd be happy to start a "Book..."

I have just signed up for it for 2018. If you guys add a different challenge I'll probably sign up for that one also.

Or we may hold a sort of contest with everyone adding extra tasks for his/her own basic challenge till the end of the year when we can designate a winner: The most original challenge - or the funniest - or the most detailed or something like that.

message 34: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3580 comments Mod
I like your idea Laura about doing this where people do it and at the end of year we see who has the funniest categories.

message 35: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am going to participate in this challenge as well! It will force me to recognize the value of the covers (which I already love!)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I will join as well

message 37: by Silvana (last edited Jun 29, 2018 06:12AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1807 comments So I just checked people's list with pink covers and found only one with a cover that is dominantly pink. The rest of the pink cover books have less than 50% pinkiness and one even looks more purple than pink. So my question is how much color percentage justifies it to be categorized accordingly?

For example, is this considered a pink cover? The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6) by Ben Aaronovitch
I would say no but wonder how the others would think.

message 38: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4187 comments Silvana wrote: "So I just checked people's list with pink covers and found only one with a cover that is dominantly pink. The rest of the pink cover books have less than 50% pinkiness and one even looks more purpl..."

I'm pretty sure this is left up to our own judgement. Pink is a hard one. I would say if a good portion of it is pink it counts.

message 39: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3136 comments For me if it has the color, it counts. However, this is your personal challenge, so it is up to you to decide how strict you want to be with the definitions. :)

message 40: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7793 comments I would say that's enough pink for me to count it.
I was thinking about using this one
Final Girls by Riley Sager
I know it's predominantly black, but my eye draws to the pink.
I don't have a lot of pink books! Haha.

message 41: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1807 comments Got it, thanks guys.

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: " So my question is how much color percentage justifies it to be categorized accordingly?"

If you're not sure if the amount of colour on the cover is justified, check out Scott's cover challenge.

message 43: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Lmao

message 44: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4187 comments Jenna wrote: "Silvana wrote: " So my question is how much color percentage justifies it to be categorized accordingly?"

If you're not sure if the amount of colour on the cover is justified, check out Scott's co..."

Haha, I thought about mentioning that.

message 45: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3136 comments "Jenna wrote: "Silvana wrote: " So my question is how much color percentage justifies it to be categorized accordingly?"

If you're not sure if the amount of colour on the cover is justified, check ..."

Tammie wrote: "Haha, I thought about mentioning that. "

That one was hilarious.

message 46: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1934 comments Could I do a cover title challenge where the challenge is to find a title with a certain item, say a weapon or magical creature, mentioned in it?

For example a couple of challenges could be:

book with a weapon in the title - The Sword of Shannara
book with a colour in the title - A Cavern of Black Ice

Hopefully this makes sense and is acceptable but I could just be hyped up on too much Christmas sugar and gibbering nonsense right now!

message 47: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Shaitarn wrote: "Could I do a cover title challenge where the challenge is to find a title with a certain item, say a weapon or magical creature, mentioned in it?

For example a couple of challenges could be:

boo..."

Sounds like fun :) Go for it!