Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed List 2008 > HATE house of night series!!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (last edited Aug 20, 2009 04:31PM) (new)

Lydia Zoey is such and annoying, unrealistic, slut!!!!!
stupid stupid stupid

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments Couldn't agree more, don't worry though, I heard she might die.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandysouthgate) Yes, see, I'd like to agree and in fact, I think I wrote a whole blog post about Betrayed doing just that. Can someone please tell me then why i just started reading the fourth book Untamed? I'm like a moth to a flame - I can't seem to help myself!!!

message 4: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzydavies) actually I'm quite enjoying the series, but I do think it is annoying sometimes- please don't kill me for posting that- lol

message 5: by Bria (new)

Bria (briasf) | 19 comments I have a love/hate relationship with the series. I love the story in general and the idea of a school for vampyres with everyone having a special power.
But oh god zoey is such a skank.
Why would you sleep with a grown man when you have a perfectly good boyfriend. Not too mention a human dude whos in love with you.
Then too top it off she starts to like an evil fallen angel, and then she has Stark.
I mean really? Come on.

message 6: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzydavies) yea the ho bits make me cringe. I think P.C cast thought she had to put some love in to make it more 'likeable' and fit with teenagers these days but she ended up making the series disgusting

message 7: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (maesiff) | 7 comments The series is revolting, badly written, not to mention incredibly offensive. Remember when she trashes people in band by calling someone a band fag? I could've smacked the bitchiness right out of her and left her a cardboard cutout because she's composed entirely of two traits: Stereotypical Mary Sue Syndrome and Total Bitch-itis.

message 8: by Poindextεrr. (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) I read this series, yet I hate it. I can't stand the characters, but I must admit P.C and Kristin Cast have me wrapped around their fingers because I'm really interested to see what happens in the end. I hate the whole 'ho' thing! Zoey irritates me. Stevie Rae irritates me. The guys stuck up Zoey's coot irritate me too. The only character's I have civil feelings toward are Aphrodite and Darius. Their relationship is the only reason I continue to read the whole stupid series.

message 9: by Poindextεrr. (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) Marooned wrote: "The series is revolting, badly written, not to mention incredibly offensive. Remember when she trashes people in band by calling someone a band fag? I could've smacked the bitchiness right out of h..."

daaaannnggg. hahahaaaaa!!!!

message 10: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Mmm, this book series was okay. Just like Twilight, at the time I thought that it was the best book that I'd read. But, I soon realized that this series was horrible. Their still not the worst books I've read, but It was pretty bad. Zoey isn't the common character that you'd find in real life, but I've seen girls do SO much worse than her. So, Zoey's kind of realistic. I didn't have a favorite character, they were all hot messes. Overall, I give this series a 1.8 out of 5.

Devan, Sarcasm Expert (curiouscat) | 9 comments Marooned wrote: "The series is revolting, badly written, not to mention incredibly offensive. Remember when she trashes people in band by calling someone a band fag? I could've smacked the bitchiness right out of h..."

I totally agree with you! I tried reading the first one which I didn't like then tried to read the second book the I slamed it on the ground and said, "HELL NO!"

message 12: by Poindextεrr. (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) Devan wrote: "Marooned wrote: "The series is revolting, badly written, not to mention incredibly offensive. Remember when she trashes people in band by calling someone a band fag? I could've smacked the bitchine..."

aaaahahahhaaa! :D

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F (awesomeness1) | 1 comments I read up to the fifth one. I'm surprised on how I made it this long. It makes me cringe when I see the five star ratings.

I don't see anything good about it anymore. The writing is bad, the dialogue is embarrassing, the characters are ridiculous, the plot has been dragged out waaaay too long. And then there is Zoey- the five-guys-at-a-time wonder.

I just wish I didn't spend money on the series.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! I stopped reading this series just in time. I stopped before she slept with anyone. I had also been thinking about starting to read it again but I do not think I will now. Thanks for the warning.

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 3 comments 1. zoey is not a slut
2. she's not annoying
3. the only reason she slept with someone is because he convinced her to.
4. you have no taste in books. all of you. be a little more open minded!!!!!

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 3 comments also. Rebecca, whoever you are, they don't go into that much detail. not as much as breaking dawn at least.

message 17: by Devan, Sarcasm Expert (last edited May 11, 2010 01:42PM) (new)

Devan, Sarcasm Expert (curiouscat) | 9 comments Hannah wrote: "1. zoey is not a slut
2. she's not annoying
4. you have no taste in books. all of you. be a little more open minded!!!!!"

Well I don't know anything about 3 and 4-2 are souly opinions, but Zoey does have a lot of guys after her. Since I stopped in the middle of the 2nd book, I only know that she did try to seduce the teacher when she already had a boyfriend.

And eventhough she didn't think it was offical it was, because she just can't decide that herself. And besides what guy helps you through all of that and he's still not your boyfriend? And whats will the human boy being her semi ex-boyfriend or whatever? Thats not even possible its either you're together or you aren't.

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 3 comments tis. and i take #4 back.

message 19: by LilaBird (new)

LilaBird | 7 comments Hahaha......this thread is funny. I just finished Marked (book 1) last night and had all the exact same reactions! Zoey is so freakishly immature -- maybe it's not Zoey, I think it may just be the horrendous writing. How this book ever got published is beyond me. But why then, am I finding myself saying, "Yes, I think I will read the rest of the series."???????? No explanation.
I just reviewed Marked, if anyone's interested. It's kinda funny.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank gawd I'm not the only one. Zoey continuously makes dumb decisions for no reason. And I make dumb decisions in continuing to read each book as it comes out.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Poindextεrr. wrote: "I read this series, yet I hate it. I can't stand the characters, but I must admit P.C and Kristin Cast have me wrapped around their fingers because I'm really interested to see what happens in the ..."

I hate to say it, but I know what you mean. Aphrodite may be a bitch, but at least she has some substance. Darius just matches her.

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1 comments K the only book in this series I've read is Marked and while most of you are making complaints about things that are more prevalent in the sequels, I think it needs to be said that every single one of these problems annoyed the shit out of me in the first book.

1. Zoey is already a skank mary-sue bitch. I can tell. I could tell just from the first few dozen pages.

2. Aphrodite is the only good character, and even though she's the bitch ("hag from hell"....UGH HOW MANY TIMES DO THEY HAVE TO SAY THAT BEFORE THE REALIZE IT WILL NEVER BE FUNNY) of the series, she is the most interesting of all of them. Honestly if I was tied to a tree being rolled down a hill about to be grated by a wood chipper and the only way to get out alive was to become a character in this series, I'd want to be her. I don't give a shit if none of the other shallow, blinder-wearing, one-track minded, unfunny characters don't like her. She less of an annoying mary-sue than everyone else.

3. I'm not a homophobe, in fact I absolutely HATE homophobes with a passion, but seriously? Congratulations, P.C., you put a gay boy in your book. Why don't you go pat yourself on the back and eat yourself a cookie. But please, PLEASE, stop mentioning every other page that Damien is a flaming gaywad. I stopped caring on page 2.

4. Most annoying thing in the whole book- THE DIALOGUE. AWFUL. JUST AWFUL. The authors try WAY to hard to sound like teenagers. While they try to convince us that Zoey and the gang are all 16-18 year olds by making them say things like "poopie", "boogie monster", "Totally!!!!!!", "Bandfags", etc. etc., it makes them all seem more like 6th graders. I can't take any of the main characters seriously. The dialogue.... uugh! by the books end I just couldn't take it any more. I literally CRINGED almost every time one of the kids opened their mouths.

5. WTF is up with the constant typos people? Seriously, if your editor doesn't know what the @&%$ she's doing, fire her ass! I don't care if she's a family friend or whatever your cheesy dedication said she was, just get someone who knows how to do their job well enough that I don't feel like I need to get out my correcting pen every time I flip a page.

This book gets a few points, though, because I genuinely enjoyed the story, which is the only reason I didn't trash this book after reading for five minutes. If only the authors fixed some of the huge structural problems that really put a damper on my enjoyment of this book.

all in all, I give it a 2 out of 10.

message 23: by LilaBird (new)

LilaBird | 7 comments Sam wrote: "K the only book in this series I've read is Marked and while most of you are making complaints about things that are more prevalent in the sequels, I think it needs to be said that every single one..."

Nice Sam! That's awesome. That's basically everything I said in my review of Marked too. The typos were so annoying, right??? I can't believe it's actually professionally published!!!!

Alia iloveBendtner (Jazzy_spazzy) | 7 comments Poindextεrr. wrote: "I read this series, yet I hate it. I can't stand the characters, but I must admit P.C and Kristin Cast have me wrapped around their fingers because I'm really interested to see what happens in the ..."

sooo TRUUEE!!! I was HAPPY when Stevie-Rae died. i couldn't take much more of her "optimism" i wanted to strangle her. the typos just... disgusted me. and aphrodite and darius really are the best and only slightly worthwhile characters in the book. ZOOEY. IS. A. SLUT. period. she is completely UNREALISTIC! dialogue was... just unbelievably bad! and her inability to say *bullshit* is just stupid. they should all just die ('cept aphrodite and darius)

Alia iloveBendtner (Jazzy_spazzy) | 7 comments oh and if i were to rate it, i'd say i couldnt because there's no number low enough. nuff sed

message 26: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Thanks for the heads up guys. I was about to read this. But I think I'll skip.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise | 3 comments Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "Thanks for the heads up guys. I was about to read this. But I think I'll skip."

OMG I can not stad it when people base their opinion of books on haters opinions you could read the books and love them I mean please form your own in the famous words of "the twins" please just please

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise | 3 comments Oh sorry about the typos (LOL)

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise | 3 comments Devan, Sarcasm Expert said I only know that she did try to seduce the teacher and I just want to say that FYI Loren Blake was seducing Zoey not the other way around you people need to get your facts right I mean really...

message 30: by Evie7 (new)

Evie7 | 4 comments What about the times the characters/the Casts bash religion (People of Faith) and then turn around and say they're open minded when it comes to that? Hypocrite much?

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (Avid7Reader) | 60 comments Hannah wrote: "Devan, Sarcasm Expert wrote: "Hannah wrote: "1. zoey is not a slut
2. she's not annoying
4. you have no taste in books. ..."

Actually, the point of this group is literary criticism, and it says right in the description that people should feel free to defend their books and try to convince others... just saying...

message 32: by Evie7 (new)

Evie7 | 4 comments Well, I think there's not many things that could defend these books. They're REALLY bad and Zoey's the worst main character I've read about. She's such a hypocrite and she never seems to grow out of it. In fact all the other characters (especially her grandmother) don't call her out on it. And I don't buy the "the only reason she slept with someone is because he convinced her to" excuse for a second. She had a boyfriend at the time. If she was really smart, like the authors keep trying to convince us to believe, she would have known better than to go and do something like that.

message 33: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments Denise wrote: "Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "Thanks for the heads up guys. I was about to read this. But I think I'll skip."

OMG I can not stad it when people base their opinion of books on haters opinions..."

Hey, I'm saying this beased on a lot of things, mainly all the sexual content.

message 34: by Bria (new)

Bria (briasf) | 19 comments I think the Casts' are like many writers who try so hard to make their teenage characters believeable, but can't quite accomplish it because they have an extremely twisted perception of what teenagers are like.
Zoey is just one out of a list of characters I can name that's a negative and distorted stereotype of young adults.

message 35: by Evie7 (new)

Evie7 | 4 comments Bria wrote: "I think the Casts' are like many writers who try so hard to make their teenage characters believeable, but can't quite accomplish it because they have an extremely twisted perception of what teenag..."

Yeah, and the fact that Kristin Cast, who's supposed to be only 24 and responsible for getting the characters to sound more like teens, can't get the voices right and makes them sound more like caricatures rather than normal people is even sadder. It's not like it's that hard to get your teens characters to sound exactly like teens. They talk like normal adults. I deduce that Kirstin Cast probably talks like this herself.
You know what's even worse? The black characters in the story. They're stereotypes, too, complete with the weird, gangster-like way they talk.

message 36: by Bria (new)

Bria (briasf) | 19 comments Evie7 wrote: "Bria wrote: "I think the Casts' are like many writers who try so hard to make their teenage characters believeable, but can't quite accomplish it because they have an extremely twisted perception o..."

OMG Evie7 I never really noticed that, but your completely right!
The black charaters are complete stereotypes, they have these super ghetto names and they do all talk like uneducated hobo kids!
This angers me, of course, because I AM black! I may never read another book from this series. I can't believe I never noticed.

message 37: by Evie7 (last edited Jan 13, 2011 02:26AM) (new)

Evie7 | 4 comments Bria wrote: "OMG Evie7 I never really noticed that, but your completely right!
The black charaters are complete stereotypes, they have these super ghetto names and they do all talk like uneducated hobo kids!
This angers me, of course, because I AM black! I may never read another book from this series. I can't believe I never noticed.

Yeah it's really bad.

The constant religion-bashing is stupid. What are the Casts trying to prove here? That everyone who doesn't follow the Casts line of thinking are stupid and unimportant?

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (its_leviosa_) I really liked the first few books in this series, then it turned to crap. As many have said the racial stereotypes are awful. i think if they had kept this series to four or five books it would have been much better. The last few have just seemed like filler. And what is up with the bulls? It is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

message 39: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 3 comments I agree with you Poindextεrr - these books drive me up the wall, but I keep reading them because I like the basic idea of the story. I've only read the first three books so far.

I think the reason the characters seem immature is because they are written with her daughter, my guess is that that's her influence and why we get gems such as "poopie" and "hag from hell". Trying to sound like teens I guess, but not pulling it off. I agree with with others that have mentioned how bad the dialog is.

One thing I hate in the books is Zoey's low opinion of herself and of Aphrodite - constantly thinking/saying "I'm such a slut." Her behaviour may not be appropriate, but I hate that she's supposed to be this strong young woman, but has no self esteem and thinks so little of herself. I don't think either of their behaviour makes them a slut. Sure the first time we meet Aphrodite (if I remembering correctly), she's on her knees - but it's with her boyfriend (or ex?) - and with Zoey, her teacher seduces her, part of the whole 'evil' plan - sure she could've been stronger and smarter and said no, but she didn't, she's a teenager, I remember making stupid decisions when I was that age (although shagging my hot vampire teacher wasn't one of them).

What can I say - sometimes love/lust makes you do the whacky!

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I don't hate these books, but I also bought and read them with the mindset that they weren't going to be great literature. They are just time filler, entertainment books.
I'm pretty sure when I read the book that the bad guys made a point out of seducing Zoey, who as a hormonal teenager is bound to be attracted and not have a lot of defenses against an attractive older man who makes a point of seducing her. I don't think using this to call her a slut would be accurate... more like she let herself become a victim. I don't consider her a slut.

I like the Damien and Jack characters, they are both reather cute characters.

I plan on reading more of them, I won't be giving them a 5 star rating but I'll have fun reading them.

message 41: by Iris (new)

Iris (didreams) Thank god there are others out there that loathe this as much as I do!

So backstory, I begun reading this because 50% of my classmates had read it and convinced me that it was worthwhile and very good. So I decided to stay open-minded and give it a go... only to be completely disappointed.

The books were exactly as I expected them to be: a typical pre-teen vampire storyline with possibly the most irritately Mary-Sue protaganist there is. I continued reading and was cringe-slapped to an inch of my life. (SPOILER: like that bit in Marked when Aphrodite is giving a freaking blowjob in the school halls?!) I can't imagine how a mother and daughter were able to co-write this series without constant awkwardness.

And Zoey... oh my god. Ticking yet another cliché in the series by having - what? - 5 or so guys running after her? And instead of showing any signs of independence or decisiveness, she is always cheating at some point.

And the parts with her and Heath? These are supposed to be books for young people. It sickens me to think of 11/12 year olds reading this. (Because some of my friends' little sisters are -_-)

The writing quality as well. Patronizing, very roll-eyes worthy, and terribly simple. I've got to about the fifth book (with no intention of carrying on) and I know it's good to remind readers of who characters are or what happened previously, but in EVERY single book, they mention - multiple times actually - that "Shaunee and Erin are twins even though one has coffee skin and one has vanilla" or something along those lines. Practically the same wording every time. Or as mentioned earlier in message 22, they keep reminding us that Damien is gay, which is really unnecessary.

If the series was shorter, like trilogy short, which meant the plot was more interesting and not painfully stretched out, then maybe the books would be better. To be honest, I really can't remember what happens in each of the books except some boyfriend changes.

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Melissa wrote: "I don't hate these books, but I also bought and read them with the mindset that they weren't going to be great literature. They are just time filler, entertainment books.
I'm pretty sure when I..."

Melissa wrote: "I don't hate these books, but I also bought and read them with the mindset that they weren't going to be great literature. They are just time filler, entertainment books.
I'm pretty sure when I..."
to up

Okay so now I have actually read a few more of these, I must say I cannot figure out why the story keeps going and going.... I no longer enjoy them and cannot believe I thought to use them as a time filler to begin with.
The characters are annoying, the story line is ridiculous, and its a complete waste of anyones time reading them.

message 43: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 5 comments I gave up after the first one. can't even remember what happens!!

message 44: by EIJ (new)

EIJ (sansadarling) | 1 comments I remember liking the first one and thinking it was really good so I bought the second and third... it gets worse and worse!!!!!!! D:

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading the series back in grade nine because my friend was obsessed with them. She couldn't stop talking about how great they were.
So, I finally gave in and asked her to borrow the first. I actually liked it so I read the second as well, but when I got to the third I knew something was different. I was tired of having to re-read happenings from the previous books i.e how Zoey put on her make-up? Eyeliner, enough to look like she has it on but not so much that she looks like a raccoon, trying to hard, emo, blahblah. Who cares how you're putting on eyeliner?!
If felt like they were trying to hard to really 'connect' with teenagers. It reminded me a lot of those 'stupid blonde' jokes. Completely unoriginal, boring, and overdone.
Also, there was absolutely no need for there to be more than four books.
Also, the characters never change. In just about all the books I have read, the characters personalities change because of their experiences. The only person who does change is Stevie-Rae and that couldn't have been helped.
In the end it was just a huge disappointment. I only read the other books because I've started it so I have to finish it.

message 46: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 07, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I hate how Zoey is so perfect. She is a new fledgling but somehow has a colored in mark, she is the most powerful vampire ever and she is the only one with the power to save the world and stuff. We get it. She's special. No need to have tattoos going all over her body to show it.

I hate everyone in the story, basically, except for the cats and Aphrodite.

message 47: by Brownie (new)

Brownie Tribbiani  | 2 comments this is the stupidest most shameful book I have ever read in my entire life
I literally typed in "I hate the house of night series" into google so I could find fellow rage quit teenagers like me who share my view.
I made a bloody account on this website just so I could share my opinion
how did this book even get freaking published
are you publishers blind? yeah okay GOOD JOB mummy and daughter worked on it together how sweet and inspiring bulleffingcrap did you guys even have a proper teenage life? clearly not because your perception of teenagers is so off the mark it's ridiculous.
the concept is stupid the characters are legitimately screwed up
what the hell is zoey meant to be? my god this book embarrasses my book shelf I can't believe I even read this
um okay. so from Untamed what the hell? "the sacred seven, north south east west below above and spirit?" LIKE LADIES WTF below and above ARE THE SAME AS NORTH AND SOUTH. then where the hell did spirit come from? so before we were talking about direction and now what you throw in spirit for the sake of it? get real!
can I just say that segment of the novel where Erik and Zoey read that Othello scene together and she realised "well Erik Night is still into me"
NOOOOOOOOOO .. no no really? oh wow I never would have guessed from the previous chapters. "I soooooooo want to be his girlfriend again!"
am I allowed to swear on this? if I get my account blocked I really don't give a shit so fukc fukc fukc you guys
this book has ruined hope for all fantasy novels
why did you make so many books for this series anyway you effing two need to take a dose of the twilight series or something but I would use the pages of your book to wipe my cra* and line my kitty litter box.
you have ruined books for me
so i have read this forum quite thoroughly and a lot of responders say "Aphrodite and Darius and the cats" are the only realistic things in this book.
I'm sorry I have to disagree again.
guys arent stupid enough to stick with someone has psycho Aphrodite unless their IQ level was that of a fish
miss and mrs Cast open your eyes . would you have continued to date a guy if he had been a complete asshole to you? I think not
go take your careers elsewhere because it clearly doesn't lie in writing stories I'm sorry
brownie out

message 48: by Brownie (new)

Brownie Tribbiani  | 2 comments Oh and my last opinion
you guys are the shittiest writers I have ever come across. JK Rowling could've manipulated this into something extraordinary, a teenager who excelled at story writing could've written this ten times better than you have.

message 49: by John (new)

John Conolley (john_conolley) | 56 comments I like the House of Night. I've read the whole series, and a couple of the side novelettes. I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume.

message 50: by LiveFire (new)

LiveFire | 1 comments So this is like five years later as a comment but I remember reading this series in 2014-15 to pass the time and I was just waiting for all the solutions (no matter how ridiculous) to show up and yet a lot of them never did. Like Z never really learned from her mistakes (especially with boys) and the authors of the book really did make me cringe.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I stuck with it so long besides the habit of finishing a series I begin before criticizing it is because I was attracted to the tattoos like a magnet.

Maybe it was my excuse to uphold my habit of reading a series down to the last book but either way, House of Night is truly an eyesore.

Having sex with her teacher is like the biggest no-no in the century. This whole, I read/watch something because my friend said it was good has pretty much thrown me into a brick wall with spikes.

I remember vowing never to watch PLL when I heard the ship between a teacher and student. Love or not, there's too many sexual predators to tell the underaged it's okay to date your teacher. Like I got nothing against the age difference (even if it isn't something I would do) but having a relationship with the teacher really just freaks everyone out and normally goes wrong anyways.

I'm pretty sure the authors killed the guy off as a karma thing, but Zoey was asking for it too.
Defend her, fine, because you think it wasn't that bad. Z had a boyfriend and another one she was basically cheating on with the other.

Throw the teacher and sex in between them and you have Erik calling her out, Erik looking like the bad guy even though it was justified (and I don't like the guy), and Loren dies so everyone forgets about what Z did who realizes she was manipulated to begin with.

Loren pretty much had been a sexual predator because he knew what sugary poetic words to say to hormonal idiot like Zoey so that he could bed her and get the information is actual relationship wanted. The whole thing nearly made me ditch my moto. Hell, the first sentence of the book wanted me to slam the damn book closed!

"I lined [my eyes] with a smoky black shadow that had little sparkly flecks of silver in it. Not heavily like those loser girls who think that plastering on black eyeliner makes them look cool. Yeah, right. They look like scary raccoons." This made me laugh so hard because I was totally just took a jab from that. I put on eyeliner to hide the bags under my eyes and when I put on eyeliner it draws the attention away from my exhaustion. And I put a freakin lot on too because one of my friends are afraid of raccoons so it's a inside-joke.

The book itself is constantly insulting someone. Z, the authors, characters - whatever. If it's not religious-bashing it's family-bashing: "Did you know that your oldest daughter has turned into a sneaky, spoiled slut who’s screwed half of the football team?”

If it's not people that aren't Z or her little circle (and even sometimes she insults them) she's barking left and right "ho" and "slut" despite her happening to fit the description pretty well.

Then the lack of realism. I like Aphrodite's character, I really do. But her giving Erik a blow job (?) in a school hallway was really ridiculous. At least in my high school people were at least discreet about it. I believe they only put that there to reinforce how Aphrodite was the classic Mean Girl while Z was just 'the observer'.

One of my biggest pet-peeves though was the whole imprint thing going on. With all the drama already going on they added that and next thing the reader knows is Z's biting every other guy around the corner until she's sick of em'. While everyone was thinking it was a dramatic over-kill I was thinking of how that little method could be used for rape (-like Heath, for example. Already an idiot but the bite just made him blinded with lust)

Then Kalona: she knew he was a demon rapist which is more than just saying 'evil' and yet she was attractive to him. Sure her A-ya soul lusted for him by magic buuuut Z was too busy describing his facial features to actually fight the pull of her body walking towards him.

Really, the most noticeable thing about Z was that she was just a flakey as she was clingy. Always thinking of how her situation was unfair despite her the one throwing prejudice insults left and right because she was Nyx's special daughter.

Back to realism though. Z was portrayed as a highly flawed person in the first book and I was thinking that the authors did that to show character development throughout the rest of the series. Damn, was I wrong! Not to mention everything around her was flawed in a non-realistic way. Everything was something out of unrealistic fantasy that was shoved into a book with supernatural and teen romance (if you can even call it that).

Every time I so much as saw a sentence relating to her boy troubles I would literally jump a chapter just to avoid a migraine. The series itself was constantly stating something the reader long since memorized (like the gay characters) while trying to portray Z as the struggling victim stuck in trouble for no reason.

One of my biggest pet-peeves against Z's character was the lack of cursing. I know six year olds in this century that curse better than a sailor and we have Zoey walking around saying "oh poopie"! I cringed every time that line showed up. No one talks like that, I've never heard of it before, and with the hell Z was apparently going through I honestly expected a couple creative F-bombs here and there.

If anyone has read fanfiction, that's what House of Night is - a bad fanfiction story. An overstretched plot with a Mary Sue protagonist that the reader wants desperately to stop talking with Twilight love triangles and imprints to throw in the mix. Oh! And the student-teacher affair, the 5-year old comebacks, the shallowness, continuous bashing, hypocrisy, naivety, discrimination, and let's not forget the spelling errors.

Back the topic of Mary Sue though. I always got irritated that Zoey had five elements in her control and yet when it came to a battle she was 'badass' once in the entire book and it was short-lived and killed out in the span of two sentences following the event.

A lot of the things Zoey would 'narrate' with her thoughts sounded suspiciously like the authors were trying to influence their reader into believing something. I could re-list it all but the main one was Z's thoughts on sex. If other people did it, it had to be wrong but when she does it... nothing. Seriously wanted to light the book on fire when she started talking like a hypocrite.

When I read a book in the supernatural section I pray it's horror (because people get those two mixed up) and not something out of Twilight (blasted sparkles) or House of Night because I literally worry for the younger people who read that crap and don't know what kind of shit their reading. Horror at least teaches you something but things like House of Night remind us how not to write a story.

Then you have the name-calling. Hags of Hell and Nerd Herd... real creative. I mean, the book came out a decade ago but I'm pretty sure that's unrealistic. If someone called a group of friends something like that in my school, they would either get decked or caught on fire with glares.

And yes, this is extremely long but I just needed a place to vent like crazy. Instead of hoping that the next book would have some answers or at least a story decent of the current danger, the readers got Z's consequences for cheating on her boyfriends. And then more unwanted boyfriend drama.

Zoey is this huge contradicting character that cannot admit she does something wrong and calls someone out for doing the same. Like the first book she's bashing her drunk 'semi' ex-boyfriend then the next one she's preferring him because Erik is calling Zoey out for cheating on two guys with the third guy (whose their teacher) after being caught having sex and she has the decency to bash Erik and love on Heath. Talk about flakey and hypocritical.

I think my favorite parts in the book where when someone called Z out for her bullshit. Like Heath when he figured out why their imprint was broken. The guy's a dense drunk but he's not hopelessly ignorant like Zoey. Music to my ears when Z's on the road of hell a.k.a. being called out for once.

The whole thing with the stupid imprint: Heath could feel Z having sex with another guy. If that doesn't say 'slut' or 'skank' like Z is constantly talking shit about everyone else... then she's on a whole higher level to hell. I mean, he could feel his 'girlfriend' having sex with someone else *shudders* just another thing to cringe at but at least the calling out was gold.

And Zoey asks herself why her relationships never work out... when Heath literally tells her that loving her hurts too much. (That was the 1st book too, wasn't it?) - never learns does she.

Then, the writing style: Completely half-assed! Someone has an argument, someone's states a solution - all fixed! Or, something happens that doesn't make sense but apparently it's this huge celebration and the reader is trying to flip back pages to figure out what the huge deal is. The characters have no character therefor making the speeches absolutely emotionless (unless calling someone out) while constantly reminded us readers how great Zoey is and we're too busy pointing out all the flaws in that statement alone. Their conversations literally was pointed out the obvious, relieving the readers of hearing Zoey's thought process, saying something that's supposed to be funny but really isn't, saying something that isn't even remotely related to the topic, and then getting even more off topic, and then saying something that makes the reader want to slam their head against a table.

Honestly, I feel genuinely sorry for those that watch House of Night, if it ever becomes a movie, that haven't read the book. Because if they read the book and watch the movie, they either need something to laugh about of or are missing some screws in their head and are hopelessly naïve. Just imagine their faces when their realize there's no difference between Twilight vampires and House of Night vampyres. (aside from sparkles, shh)

My last words are this: If you want to read something to pass the time and have Tylenol nearby, grab a pen and get ready to make some notes, fix some spelling errors, and possibly a lighter to burn the monstrosity of a novel. If you want something good to read to pass the time, just read Calvin and Hobs. One can never be too old for that.