mythos discussion

Myths as a Major

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
This topic kind of got started in another thread, but I thought I'd start a new discussion with it.

Do any of you study mythology in university? If so what is the major called? I tried to find some schools in the states with majors in ancient myths. The best I came up with was ethnic and cultural studies and folktales. Does anyone know what those majors are about? Would they cover ancient cultures?

message 2: by Al (last edited Aug 10, 2009 06:39PM) (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
These are the schools I found with the folklore major if anyone is interested.

Laurentian University
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Université Laval
University of Alberta
Marlboro College

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (d286380) | 4 comments This won't really be helpful (since I'm in Australia)
but I'm doing my major in history, so I'm taking a unit now that's titled "Mtyh in the Ancient World". This is a unit inmy ancient history major though, so a lot of my other units are about Rome (Decline and Fall...) Then you can do a post graduate in Ancient History qith my uni...I think that most courses are based around ancient history/classic civilizations and are pretty much mainly based around Greece and Rome. If you were interested in doing Egyptology though this site has all the universities that offer that: http://www.guardians.net/egypt/educat...

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (dariusgreyhound) | 13 comments Mod
I'm yet to grace any college's walls, but if i could find it, I would study creative mythologies, and germanick folklore - it might be the closest thing i could study to norse mythology, which could be catagorized as it

on a side note I just returned from a road trip/vacation - I saw the king tut exibit in SF, it was awsome :)))))))

message 5: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "on a side note I just returned from a road trip/vacation - I saw the king tut exhibit in SF, it was awsome"

Isn't it amazing?! The Tut exhibit has got to be my second favorite of all the museum exhibits I've seen. It was wonderful. There was so much found in his tomb! It really was a great break for Egyptology.

BTW what is creative mythology? Do you mean fictional mythologies like what is created by authors i.e. J. R. R. TOLKIEN?

message 6: by Andrew (new)

sorry, i meant creative writing, I wana write --.....

message 7: by Andrew (new)

but I do like to base or mytholgies together, such as havinf the coyote, and loki being one and the same, just at diffrent point in time

stuff in LOTR does have simularities with myths from parts from europe

message 8: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Yeah. He pulled a lot as do many writers. Although it can get annoying when a writer uses a creature or god from mythology without doing the research. Some things you read are just wrong beyond what creative license should allow.

I don't know if you're into research, Andrew, but if you do end up studying creative writing you could totally do a study on "creative mythologies." You know, like how fiction evolves from mythology or rather how much mythology seeps into our culture as portrayed in literature. It could make for an interesting thesis. (although I would assume creative writing majors would have portfolios instead of a senior thesis as their capstone project.)

message 9: by Andrew (new)

I feel dumb??????

but that first part is VERY intresting

message 10: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Sorry. My school is pretty big on unique research projects. They have us trained so well that the strangest things will pop into my head as thesis topics.