Jane Austen discussion

Fan Fiction/Continuations > Discuss Fan Fiction?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Would you be interested in discussing in September a Jane Austen-inspired novel (fan fiction, sequel, continuation of some kind)? If yes, would anyone be interested in leading or co-leading the discussion. If someone else could lead, I would be happy to post the discussion folder and then the discussion leader(s) can carry on the topics within the folder.

Please offer suggestions for group reads, if you are interested.

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexac) | 8 comments I would definitely be interested in this. I actually belonged to a JAFF group on Goodreads, but it was disbanded a few months ago due to not enough activity. To begin with, I'd like to know if anyone else is an active JAFF reader....you haven't had any other responses to this question so far, so it makes me wonder!

I'm always on the lookout for good stories I haven't read yet (published or just online), and in particular am trying to find out if there are any other published modern fics aside from The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy. I'm talking about actual Darcy/Elizabeth stories, not things like Austenland, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, etc.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments Great idea, Sarah!

message 4: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Alexa and Christy,

Maybe you folks can scout out some really good JA fan fiction, and at least give us some reviews on what you liked or didn't like. Maybe we can get some discussions going.

For now, if you look on the bulletin board at the top of our Jane Austen page, see that I chose two to go along with the Mansfield Park read. They may not be to your taste, and there is one of the Carrie Bebris mysteries. I have been curious about those that I wanted to try one. Maybe we'll have fun reading and discussing those, and seeing what others think of fan fiction.

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexac) | 8 comments Sarah,

Are you talking about the threads for Mr. Darcy, Vampyre and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I don't see anything else (and I don't see anything about one of Bebris' books, and I *have* read the first 3 of them). Unfortunately haven't read either of the others....I tend to prefer the romances (ie, anything by Abigail Reynolds) but I did like the Bebris books. (well, Pride and Prescience was okay but they got better after that).

message 6: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Hey Alexa,

Check out the bulletin board at the very start of the page -- I have added some notices of what we'll be reading. It is above the discussion folders.

message 7: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Alexa,

It is also above the images of the books.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments Alexa, I have Pride and Prescience on hold at the library. I'm hoping to get it this week!

Sarah, I haven't read either of the Mansfield Park books, but they sound good!

The only other JA Fanfiction that I have read so far is Austenland by Shannon Hale (Loved!), Mr. Darcy's Diary, (LOVED!) and am working on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now.

I also have...

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler
An Assembly Such as This - Pamela Aiden
Darcy's Story - Janet Aylmer
Mr. Knightleys Diary & Captain Wentworths Diary - both by Amanda Grange.

And I found Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery by Stephanie Barron at the library. I haven't gotten to it yet either, but it's a whole series! Guess I need to start reading faster! :)

Is this the type of fanfiction that you had in mind? Let me know if I'm going in the wrong direction!

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexac) | 8 comments Christy, if you wind up not caring for Pride & Prescience, keep going because I thought Suspence & Sensibility and North By Northanger were much better.

I thought Austenland and Confessions of.....were alright, but I prefer actual fiction based on Lizzy and Darcy. What ifs, or sequels. However, my favorite part of Austenland was the dedication in the front: "To Colin Firth- You're a really nice guy, but I'm married, so I think we should just be friends." Hysterical.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments I've been reading the Jane Austen Mysteries for a few months now and really like them (ordered the rest of the series for my birthday!) Barron does try too hard sometimes to sound like Austen, but on the whole she does a pretty creditable job.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments Alexa wrote: "Christy, if you wind up not caring for Pride & Prescience, keep going because I thought Suspence & Sensibility and North By Northanger were much better.

I thought Austenland and Confessions of....."

Thanks Alexa, I will remember that! Do you have to read the original books in order to follow along with these? I'm a bit behind on my JA!

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments Robin wrote: "I've been reading the Jane Austen Mysteries for a few months now and really like them (ordered the rest of the series for my birthday!) Barron does try too hard sometimes to sound like Austen, but..."

I'm glad to hear you like them, Robin! I can't wait to read them myself. :)

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexac) | 8 comments No, I read them all before I read any JA. Elizabeth and Darcy are the main characters, anyone else who shows up is merely incidental to the story.

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments I would be interested in discussing Jane Austen fan fiction. Is there specific books that we will be discussing?

message 15: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Scroll up in this thread where we were previously discussing titles. These are just ones that I had already put on the board. I welcome any more suggestions -- titles or authors you have run across. Feel free to post suggestions.

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments Thanks Sarah!

I have read all of Abigail Reynolds' books
all but the newsest Bebris' mystery
Pemberley Promise by Kara Louise
Drive and Determination by Kara Louise
None But You by Susan Kaye
For You Alone by Susan Kaye (almost done with this one)
The Cumberland Plateau by M.K. Baxley
Darcy, Knightley, Edmund, and Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange

I highly recommend the Susan Kaye novels they are from Captain Wentworth's point of view, which is refreshing and insightful.

message 17: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Oh, the Susan Kayes I have read. I would love to discuss those with you -- I can make a spoiler folder because I wanted to discuss the ending in particular. I did single those books out though because Persuasion is my favorite of Austen's novels and there seemed few continuations or fan fiction about Persuasion.

When we go to the other folder, maybe you could compare Amanda Grange with the Susan Kaye novels also.

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments I have about 40 pages left of For You Alone and then I would love to discuss and compare books with you! I am really enjoying it!

message 19: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I started a new folder called Fan Fiction/Continuations and then added a topic for Susan Kaye - spoilers.

If anyone else wants to begin a discussion or ask a question about another Jane Austen "continuation" kind of novel, please add under this folder. Have fun!

I haven't heard of Cumberland Plateau. Is it good? Thanks for listing all those above, Meredith. Please discuss any of them you are drawn to in particular.

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments The Cumberland Plateau is a new self-published book about the descendants of ELziabeth and Fitzwilliam and what happens to them in the 21 century.

Here is the link to my review if you are interested in what I thought about it . . .
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67...

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 11 comments Has anyone read Seducing Mr. Darcy? I noticed it's not in the bookshelves and is definitly fan fiction for Pride and Prejudice.

message 22: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Annie, feel free to add books to the shelves. I haven't read Seducing Mr. Darcy. What did you think of it?

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 11 comments I thought, especially from the cover art, that it was going to be bad and raunchy but it wasn't! It was fun and I found myself wondering what book I would imagine myself into, I enjoyed the characters and liked this different idea for a book, what if ___. I don't know if you looked it up but in the book the main girl ends up at a place that specializes in massages while you imagine yourself in your favorite novel. The problem is the main girl does that and it really happens so she messes with the original text of Pride and Prejudice in our time. It was a hoot. I thought, while reading it, "If that happened to me, I would probably be doing that too..."

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill (Bill_Bee) | 81 comments I haven't read Susan Kayes books but I would be willing to read one and join the discussion if that is what everyone wants to do.

Sarah wrote: "Oh, the Susan Kayes I have read. I would love to discuss those with you -- I can make a spoiler folder because I wanted to discuss the ending in particular. I did single those books out though bec..."

message 25: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments I'm not that far into Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters. It's a very different fan fiction compared to others I have read.

Susan Kaye's books look VERY intriguing. I have had one of hers on my TBR for a while now!

message 26: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Tanja & Bill,

We haven't selected the Susan Kaye books as a formal group read, but discussion did arise about it. I previously started a topic for Susan Kaye discussion under the Fan Fiction/Continuations folder.

If several people are interested in doing a group discussion of her two books, Robin or I could post it on what I call the billboard at the top of the group page. It would be great if someone could be designated discussion leader. I won't be able to revisit the Susan Kaye books right now, but anyone is welcome to lead.

message 27: by Bill (new)

Bill (Bill_Bee) | 81 comments I don't know anything about Kaye but I am always ready to try a new author - but after 10/27 when another passion of mine comes out. This is when the newest addition to Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time fantasy series hits the shelves. Fans of this series, which includes me, have been waiting four years for the 12th volume in this story that began in 1991. We have suffered through the Jordan's death after a long lingering fight, the appointment of a new author to finish the series working with Jordan's widow and the writing of volume 12.

I am in the midst of rereading the last 3 books in the series so I am going to be a little tied up for a while.

But when I am done with Book 12, I am up for anything involving Jane Austen.

Bill

Sarah wrote: "Tanja & Bill,

We haven't selected the Susan Kaye books as a formal group read, but discussion did arise about it. I previously started a topic for Susan Kaye discussion under the Fan Fiction/Cont..."

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "I don't know anything about Kaye but I am always ready to try a new author - but after 10/27 when another passion of mine comes out. This is when the newest addition to Robert Jordan's The Wheel of..."

Hi Bill

Thanks for mentioning Robert Jordan -- another "new" author to check out!

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (robin1129) | 306 comments Whew! I'm not alone in thinking I should check out all the buzz about this author.

message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill (Bill_Bee) | 81 comments I guess I should say a little bit more about Robert Jordan, since some people seem to be interested in my mention of him. He once said Jane Austen was one of his top five favorite authors. Which is strange since Jane never put a word in her novels that didn't move the story forward. Jordan put in 1,000s. He loves to describe people, places and women's dresses. He is very imaginative and in the course of his 11 books created a whole world full of dozens of nations all with their own customs, histories, and dress.

He has about a dozen main characters with a few more women than men. There are a couple of dozen lesser characters and close to 2,000 named characters, counting inn keepers, etc., horses and wolves.

I find the books fascinating in the same way I enjoyed Tolkien. But if you don't like a very long story, this is not the series for you.

Tor and Sanderson, the new author, are saying that the 14th and last book will be published two years from this fall, more or less.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "I guess I should say a little bit more about Robert Jordan, since some people seem to be interested in my mention of him. He once said Jane Austen was one of his top five favorite authors. Which is..."

I read LotR through every year, but I did find it easier after I had seen the movies. I hope I'm up to the challenge of Robert Jordan! I'll give him a try.

message 32: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments I've never read any Susan Kaye novels before but it would be fun as a group read. If there's interest, I am willing to try my hand at leading the discussion ^.^

Btw - WoT is a very lengthy and thoroughly engrossing series. I well understand why fans are very antsy for 10/27. Most of Jordan's novels would hint at the BIG BAD and leave you hanging for the next novel. Hopefully this one gives a wonderful sigh of relief with series' conclusion. HOPEFULLY!

message 33: by Bill (new)

Bill (Bill_Bee) | 81 comments Tanja - It isn't over yet. The story that Robert Jordan left is too long to be told in one book. Which isn't surprising given the number of story threads up in the air at the end of book 11. There will be three more books to be published in the fall of this year and in the fall of 2010 and 2011. So the series will conclude 20 years after it started.

message 34: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) Annie wrote: "Has anyone read Seducing Mr. Darcy? I noticed it's not in the bookshelves and is definitly fan fiction for Pride and Prejudice. "

I loved this book too. I actually bought it online without seeing the cover, thankfully, or I would never have picked up this book!

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill (Bill_Bee) | 81 comments I read the summary and it looks good. I intend to buy the Kindle version also and avoid the cover issue. It certainly doesn't seem very Janish. But the story line doesn't either, even if it does sound fun.

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments *looks at the cover and gawks* Wwwoooooowwww.

And Bill, 20 years? Goodness gracious.

message 37: by Bill (last edited Nov 03, 2009 10:38PM) (new)

Bill (Bill_Bee) | 81 comments Yeah, that cover kills me.

I wanted to say one more thing about the Wheel of Time. It appears from the discussion boards that there are as many, if not more women fans of this series as men. I think that is because there are such great women characters in it - there are a few more women main characters than men. I think RJ must have had lots of help from his wife Harriet when he wrote the stories of these brave and rescourceful women. Two of the my three favorite characters in the series are two women, Elayne and Egwene.

Tanja wrote: "*looks at the cover and gawks* Wwwoooooowwww.

And Bill, 20 years? Goodness gracious."

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma (EmmaHox) | 8 comments Bill wrote: "I guess I should say a little bit more about Robert Jordan, since some people seem to be interested in my mention of him. He once said Jane Austen was one of his top five favorite authors. Which is..."

Alexa wrote: "I would definitely be interested in this. I actually belonged to a JAFF group on Goodreads, but it was disbanded a few months ago due to not enough activity. To begin with, I'd like to know if anyo..."

My husband had the first 3 of his books as we got married and as they continued to come out we bought them all. I really enjoyed the storyline and although my husband has read every book of his I had trouble getting beyond the middle of the fourth book. It seemed to drag on and I could not make it though. I do have to agree that his descriptions are amazing.

message 39: by vard (new)

vard | 28 comments I'd like to put in a good word for the "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" trilogy by Pamela Aidan. She retells the story of P&P with Darcy as the central character, filling in the gaps and even providing a narrative covering the "quiet period" between the ball at Netherfield and Darcy's trip to Rosings. They are terrific books, very well written, and I have read and reread them with enormous pleasure. The titles are: An Assembly Such As This, Duty and Desire, and These Three Remain.

message 40: by Megan, Moderator & Ardent Janeite (new)

Megan | 724 comments Mod
You just have to love Fletcher, the valet, in those books.

message 41: by vard (new)

vard | 28 comments Fletcher is wonderful. I love Dy too. They add so much texture to the untold backstory. And I love the way Aidan brings in authentic period characters like Beau Brummell and Lady Caroline Lamb, and the current events of the time. They are really terrific books.

message 42: by vard (last edited Feb 15, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

vard | 28 comments At the JASNA meeting in October 2010 here in Portland, I attended a talk by a university professor about the way some Austen characters display autism spectrum disorders. It was a very interesting discussion. For example, Darcy is much easier to understand if one surmises that he might have a form of Asperger's syndrome. That was in the back of my mind when I read another JAFF book recently, A Man of Few Words by Katherine Woodbury. Her book clearly depicts the interior life and struggles of a man who really has little idea how to be social. Anyway, it's interesting, and I thought I would pass it along.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy Harrison | 13 comments vard wrote: "At the JASNA meeting in October 2010 here in Portland, I attended a talk by a university professor about the way some Austen characters display autism spectrum disorders. It was a very interesting ..."

That's really funny, but it really doesn't explain Darcy for me. I have a brother with Aspergers, and he's got a ton of friends with the same thing, and Darcy doesn't really fit the bill, because he is shown to be affectionate and, well, different than Aspergers. But it is a really interesting idea.

message 44: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena Parker (MagdalenaParker) | 12 comments vard wrote: "At the JASNA meeting in October 2010 here in Portland, I attended a talk by a university professor about the way some Austen characters display autism spectrum disorders. It was a very interesting ..."

IMHO I think it's a little far-fetched and with this theory then any character can be associated with some sort of psychological disorder, especially a spectrum disorder. However I do think it a very interesting concept.

message 45: by Alicia (last edited Feb 17, 2011 07:12PM) (new)

Alicia (Alicia-bing) I have to agree with the last few posts based on my professional training and work with people with aspberger's. I can't think of a single character in a Jane Austen book that would fit in the Asberger/Autism spectrum in any way.

What kind of university professor was he?

I could envision some personality disorders though, especially for Mrs. Bennett. (Histrionic Personality Disorder anyone?) She has some serious melodrama going on.

message 46: by Manda (last edited Feb 18, 2011 10:11AM) (new)

Manda (pemberliegh) | 96 comments Same here and I have the same question... was this a psych professor or a lit professor? I'm not a professional, but I did major in psychology for my BA and labeling people with psychological disorders when they are really just shy or socially awkard (and maybe a little arrogant) is kind of ridiculous. There is a huge difference between an Autism spectrum disorder and being uncomfortable with strangers or in large groups. Darcy doesn't even come close to hitting the characteristics in the DSM. Look back at when Asperger's was seperate from Autism in the DSM-IV, fourth tab.

While you're looking at that, remember that Darcy is pretty good friends with Bingley; acts as a sensible and loving guardian for his little sister, working together with Colnel Fitzwilliam; manages his estate affairs with seeming confidence and competence; and, when he opens up, seems to enjoy banter, playfulness, humor and sarcasm - which someone with Asperger's would not be capable of understanding. Individuals with Asperger's tend to be very literal; they cannot distinguish between a serious expression and a joke. They may have trouble recognizing emotions and body language to the point where they would not be able to look at a picture of a scowling face and be able to tell you that person is angry. So no "clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

Darcy in no way displays obsessive and repetative movements or obsession with any subject to the exclusion of other topics. He is perfectly able to engage in conversation directed towards him and follow the flow of conversation around him. He clearly feels uncomfortable in social situations, especially new ones; however, Darcy shows that he can exert himself on a social level, if it is important to him. Remember the effort he puts into making a good impression on Elizabeth's Aunt and Uncle? What about his conversation with Lizzy at the end? Very teasing and sweet. I see no disorder here.

On a related note, I did write a paper in college titled "Jane Austen: Observational Psychologist, or the connoisseur of human folly" simply becuase she does do such a wonderful job of adhering to the psychological realities of human behaviour and interaction. Even though all the terms and difinitions came well after her time, she is remarkably accurate... but this post is already too long.

message 47: by Michele (new)

Michele (myavino) | 28 comments Does anyone know a good site for fan fiction?

message 48: by vard (new)

vard | 28 comments It was a psychology professor.

message 49: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (strawberrybubble) Michele wrote: "Does anyone know a good site for fan fiction?"

Mibba.com

message 50: by Moira (new)

Moira Bianchi | 3 comments Hi. I love, love, love P&P so much I became addict to fanfiction and sequels. One day I wrote one! Modern, sexy, good humored, touching.

And I feel like I'm adding to the bicentennial celebs with a zest of Brazil!

http://www.amazon.com/Friendship-spec...

and my FB page
https://www.facebook.com/HotRioChick

My blog has some other JAFF... visit me www.hotriochick.blogspot.com.br

« previous 1