The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > David Sedaris recs

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee I have read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris and I really enjoyed it! I would like to read another of his books but I'm not sure which to choose from.

Can you give me any suggestions? Thanks!

message 2: by Jill (last edited Aug 05, 2009 09:57AM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Gypsy wrote: "Holidays on Ice was overall ok ...the first story, Santaland Diaries, is pee-yourself hilarious, the rest of them (I think there are five), not so much. But Santaland Diaries alone is w..."

I thought all the stories in Holidays on Ice were great, but then, I like dark comedy and dark holiday stories.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments I recommend When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Excellent book. Of course, I just adore anything Sedaris writes, so your mileage may vary. ;)

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Naked and When You Are Engulfed in Flames were my favorites.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I love anything by Sedaris. He occasionally appears on David Letterman and does readings from his latest books. Don't miss these if you can stay up!!! He is hysterical!

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with When You Are Engulfed in Flames, that seems to be the popular choice.

message 7: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I thoroughly recommend getting the audiobooks if you can to supplement the experience. Listening to the author read his own work adds just another level of comedy to the experience.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Jensownzoo wrote: "I thoroughly recommend getting the audiobooks if you can to supplement the experience. Listening to the author read his own work adds just another level of comedy to the experience."

This is true. Sedaris reading his own work managed to fill a rather large theatre in Tulsa, Oklahoma of all places. If he can fill up houses there, there's definitely something to be said for his ability as a storyteller.