The Sword and Laser discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
The Gunslinger > TGS: What's the deal with "Hey Jude"?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew (masupert) | 209 comments So, what is the deal with this song? It is mentioned three times in this book at different locations in the world. I understood at first that maybe King was trying to show us that this is earth, but why keep coming back to this one specific song? Wouldn't other 20th century songs have established that thread? I feel like this song must mean something more in some way.

Phil | 969 comments I haven't finished yet but St. Jude is the patron of hopeless cases and Judas betrayed Jesus so maybe he's trying to refer to one or the other.

Lena Good songs never die. Maybe it's a ray of hope across the worlds.

message 4: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 29 comments I think it's showing that our world bleeds into this one, that the two are connected in some way. I suspect later books in the series explain it more.

Dominik (GristleMcNerd) | 103 comments Maybe it was just on the radio a lot at the time, and he was like "Hey, you know what'd be weird? If the guy at the honky tonk piano played this popular song."

By the way, of course someone made that.

Phil | 969 comments I've become more convinced of my Judas=Jude=betrayal theory as I read further.
Roland tells Jake his "coming of age" story where the song plays in one scene and immediately after he is thinking about betrayal.

Phil | 969 comments For those too young to remember, at the 85% mark King directly quotes Hey, Jude ("don't make it bad, take a sad song and make it better"), Help ("Help me") (that may be accidental), and Instant Karma by John Lennon ("we all shine on").

message 8: by Joel (last edited Aug 18, 2017 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel Adamson | 9 comments I thought it was simply evocative, like something Roland was coming back to, and an interesting juxtaposition into a world where I'd assumed the history was different. It keeps the weirdness up. I would, of course, be excited to learn that there's more to it.

KevBayer (SporadicReviews) | 480 comments Phil wrote: "I haven't finished yet but St. Jude is the patron of hopeless cases and Judas betrayed Jesus so maybe he's trying to refer to one or the other."

I figured it was just his way of showing us worlds crossing... but this makes so much sense!