Amazon Kindle discussion

Kindle Freebies

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments I just thought it would be helpful if people posted when they saw new Kindle Freebies on Amazon. I am always looking for new Freebies. I just saw they put a few new ones up. They were on the Kindle best seller list. So if any one sees some new freebies up please share!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 43 comments Great idea, Gina! I always check the Kindle Top Sellers, too. The free ones on there are usually romance or sci-fi, but every once in a while you'll find something else. Right now there's a young adult novel by James Patterson at the top, which I think I'll give a try - I enjoy his other work, so maybe this will be a nice fun, quick read.

Another way to find freebies on Amazon is to go to a genre and sort by price, low to high. You'll get a bunch of very old out-of-copyright stuff, but if you're patient, you can find others mixed in (it's usually easiest to look for a real cover instead of the little pink book).

Also, if you read the Kindle blog on the website, they mention some freebies that last only a few days, so it's worth it to keep your eye on.

Where else can you look?

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments I look on Listmania they have list just about freebies. The only problem is sometimes they are old and the books are no longer free. If you type in Kindle Freebies in the search box you can find them too

message 4: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannef) | 4 comments You can also go to www.jungle-search.com/US/Kindle

You can put in a price range and it finds all the books in that range. Also can pick genre and how many review stars.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 17, 2009 09:52AM) (new)

Sarah | 43 comments Jeanne wrote: "You can also go to www.jungle-search.com/US/Kindle"

When you do this, do you have to manually add the items to your Kindle? I have never downloaded except through amazon wireless - is it difficult?

Thanks

message 6: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannef) | 4 comments It's not difficult. When it brings up your request it takes you directly to the Amazon Kindle pages so you can use the whispernet. The books are sorted how you want from this jungle search place. I don't know why this .com gives you more sorting options than Amazon directly but it works.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 43 comments That is AWESOME, Jeanne! Thanks!

message 8: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments thanks so much Jeanne

message 9: by Notdorothy (new)

Notdorothy | 2 comments Over at Kindleboards.com, the members are always posting new freebies as they come up under the Book Bazaar heading.

message 10: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments I just saw this freebie on amazon today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002...

message 12: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I just finished Sari Shop Widow (which I keep insisting should be named Sari Shop Window, which also works in context).

Wouldn't have read it without the free download, but I was at least entertained by it. Would be interested in hearing what others think of it though.

How are people finding the other freebies?

message 13: by Notdorothy (new)

Notdorothy | 2 comments search "-domain" in the Kindle store and then order low to high prices. There are quite a few right now.

message 14: by Elena (new)

Elena Notdorothy wrote: "search "-domain" in the Kindle store and then order low to high prices. There are quite a few right now."

Thanks Notdorothy, I'll check that out.

I just dowloaded The Briar King for free.

message 15: by Nancy Abbott (new)

Nancy Abbott | 5 comments I also downloaded The Sari Shop Widow while it was free- now it is $9.60.
I really enjoyed Paranoia by Joseph Finder which is still free as well.
I have downloaded a lot of free books so far and have only owned since July 31st. My savings are up to $150.00. I think the Kindle will pay for itself in the long run.
I like that it introduces me to new authors.
I also downloaded Legacy which I think is still free as well.
Happy Kindling!!!
Nancy

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly Christine | 6 comments www.smashwords.com is also a great place to find Kindle freebies and new authors!

I recently listed The Nine Lives of Clemenza for free at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...
[image error]

message 17: by Nancy Abbott (new)

Nancy Abbott | 5 comments There is also a website called Books on the Knob that lists many free offerings daily. I have found it to be the best source so far for freebies and inexpensive offerings.
Nancy

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 12 comments Nancy wrote: "There is also a website called Books on the Knob that lists many free offerings daily. I have found it to be the best source so far for freebies and inexpensive offerings.
Nancy"

Thanks. This site was new to me.

message 19: by Elena (new)

Elena Nancy wrote: "There is also a website called Books on the Knob that lists many free offerings daily. I have found it to be the best source so far for freebies and inexpensive offerings.
Nancy"

Thanks Nancy, I have bookmarked it.

message 20: by Zach (last edited Nov 14, 2009 01:34PM) (new)

Zach (sleptlate) | 5 comments Feedbooks is also a great resource for public-domain works.

feedbooks.com

On your kindle, just enter "feedbooks " into the search form, then scroll over to "Google search" and click the five-way. Find and click on the link corresponding to the kindle-formatted (Mobi-pocket) version of the book; it will download to the home page. Books generally have very good accuracy and formatting.

message 21: by Britt☮ (last edited Nov 16, 2009 04:05PM) (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) | 55 comments Zach wrote: "Feedbooks is also a great resource for public-domain works.

I love Feedbooks! I've read a few classics that I probably never would have picked up otherwise. I've also seen a couple of books that are free on Feedbooks but that Amazon charges for.

There's also freekindlebooks.org, which offers the same books as Project Gutenberg but are converted to run natively on the Kindle (Project Gutenberg's support of Mobi files is "experimental").

message 22: by Gary (new)

Gary (gary_o) | 7 comments Another great site for finding free (and non-free) ebooks is Inkmesh, at http://inkmesh.com/ . Inkmesh is an ebook search engine that collects data from multiple websites, including Amazon, Feedbooks, Manybooks, Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive and others. You can search by genre, author, or title. Very handy!

message 23: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (jessycfischer) I have found a great way to find the free books are to get on the kindle store and look at most popular. Usually they are free ones.

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Nov 20, 2009 01:38PM) (new)

Sarah | 43 comments There are four Don Brown books and a few other good ones up for free right now - check out the Kindle Bestsellers - the top 12 right now are all free and not public domain. If you subscribe to the RSS feed (which I do - it's updated every hour!) you can keep an eye on what's at the top all the time, and they're usually free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/...

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena Thanks Sarah! I have subscribed!