Guilty Pleasures discussion

Running with scissors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Lily McGarr | 2 comments I have read running with scissors recentley and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of books that are like it. A satyrical book where the main character is gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 28, 2007 07:46AM) (new)

We Think the World of You by JR Ackerley. Really something.

message 3: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Heather (adorabubbles) | 9 comments that book looks interesting, thanks for the rec!

i haven't read RWS altho i saw and mostly enjoyed the movie. i have read a bit of burroughs beside, though, and he is stellar.

message 4: by Lily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Lily McGarr | 2 comments thanks, that seems like a interesting book...
i will check it out...

message 5: by Wally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Wally | 1 comments How about anything by Max Beerbohm? No queer main characters, but so good...

message 6: by Borden (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Borden | 1 comments I've only read "Zuleika Dobson" and hated it. Do you recommend anything else, Wally?

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Just to let everyone know. Augusten Burroughs wrote a sequel memoir called "Dry". It is where Augusten is all grown up, he works for an advertising company, and has an alcohol problem.
Some other books of his:
Sellevision
Possible Side-Effects(on my to-read list)

message 8: by Travis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Travis | 1 comments just finished We Think the World of You... absolutely great.

message 9: by Scott (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Scott (scottmillerdc) I assume you have checked out David Sedaris, who is quite gifted and extremely funny. He is the go to for funny gay reads (and his sister is a riot too).

I read "Openly Bob" by Bob Smith quite a few years ago and found the book quite cute and poignant. I am about to read the follow-up "Way to go Smith", but I can definitely recommend "Openly Bob".

message 10: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Danielle Maybe if you end up liking David Sedaris, you might also like David Rakoff's "Fraud." Very much along the same vein. It's an autobiographical series of humorous/satirical essays by a gay author.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to suggest "The Fran Lebowitz Reader", a series of essays that are absolutely devastatingly funny.

"Anyone who says a dog is man's best friend has never met a good tax lawyer."

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 12 comments ORLANDO by Virginia Woolf.

Fiction, but the original queer dry humor book.

message 13: by Jon-michael (new)

Jon-michael (The_Disciple) i loved this book so much that i started all over and read it again! lol