Book Haven discussion

General > Strong Heroines!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Anyone know of some GREAT books with strong heroines??? If you do, let us know! :)

message 2: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) "In Death" series by J.D. Robb (a.k.a. Nora Roberts). Nora Robert's books usually have strong female heroines, which is why I like her.

Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, pre-orgies. Enough said.)
Mr. Perfect (mentally strong)
The Ugly Duckling (She starts off weak, but quickly changes into a strong heroine.)
Lion's Bride (mentally strong. Also it's my favorite HR novel.)
Dark Horse (Loved this book. Mystery/thriller with not much romance in it, if any.)

message 3: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica Cordelia's Honor Sci-fi
Sabriel Fantasy
The Unexpected Dragon Trilogy Fantasy
The Deed of Paksenarrion Fantasy
Trading in Danger Sci-fi

These are just off the the top of my head

message 4: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) BonFire I agree about Anita Blake...but in some of her other books (even the orgy ones) as long as she's got a gun and willing to kill I'm all about it (I told my husband I wanted to go to a shooting range and learn to shoot because of Anita)!
I have discovered the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs is fantastic when it comes to a strong woman. She's sarcastic and loves her independence.
The YA series Vampire Academy has Rose. She's a very strong woman who wants to keep her friends safe. Love that!

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments I have gotten hooked on Anita! ms. Badass with a gun

message 6: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I know, right?! A woman who can take care of herself (mostly) using nothing but the weapons strapped to her back/arms/legs/sides/etc. lol

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments Elvia wrote: "I know, right?! A woman who can take care of herself (mostly) using nothing but the weapons strapped to her back/arms/legs/sides/etc. lol"

hahaha some times i look at myself and think where the hell does she put them all

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments One of my favorite classics is Jane Eyre and I think she is a wonderful heroine to admire. She was extremely intelligent, self-sufficient and stuck to her guns when she believed it mattered.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I would also like to add Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. While she has a tendancy towards violence and her own code of morals she only hurts those who she deems deserves it (and frankly I usually agreed with her) she is also a computer genius who knows how to box and will never give up in a fight. She has found ways to deal with horribly painful life situations and continue on with life.

Not sure she's a role model or that I would apply the term heroine, but she has some amazing strenght.

message 10: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Lisa Anne wrote: "I would also like to add Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. While she has a tendancy towards violence and her ow..."

She sounds like a character I could get into.

I'm not sure "heroine" is the appropriate term...although in some cases it is. I'm more about the chicks who can take care of themselves. A woman who can acknowledge a man's existence in her life but doesn't NEED a man to exist. That's why I love Mercy so far...she really wants to be left alone and take care of herself. Anita Blake used to be like that before the ardeur took over...but she can still kick-ass.

message 11: by Gothicladybug (new)

Gothicladybug | 32 comments um all my favorite books the banded and the banished serise by james clemens, the dark jewels series from anne bishop ,kushiles series from jaquline carey daughter or the forest, anita blake,

message 12: by J.D. (last edited Aug 07, 2009 07:45PM) (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Vampire Academy-Rose is basically a moroi bodyguard! She is a complete "bad ass", and can kick some major butt. LOL She has a dominant personality.
Basically she is a strong woman. :)

message 13: by Gothicladybug (new)

Gothicladybug | 32 comments i love a strong female who still is definitively female and embraces her emotions and feels they empower her

message 14: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Joy wrote: "Vampire Academy-Rose is basically a moroi bodyguard! She is a complete "bad ass", and can kick some major butt. LOL She has a dominant personality.
Basically she is a strong woman. :)"

I love her too! She whipped ass in #3!

And I agree Gothicladybug! If she knows she's a strong woman and still can admit to her flaws, she can be phenomenal!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments Im gonna say Victoria from the Gardella chronicles The Rest Falls Awayis the first book.

message 16: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Elvia wrote: "BonFire I agree about Anita Blake...but in some of her other books (even the orgy ones) as long as she's got a gun and willing to kill I'm all about it (I told my husband I wanted to go to a shooti..."

lol I completely understand. She always made me want to practice shooting too. I used to be a decent aim, back when I was a teenager going with my dad to the shooting range. Except for the shotgun. The kick on that thing kicked my butt.lol I like the 9mm. :) But that was a long time ago, and I doubt I am any good now.

The Rest Falls Away! Forgot about that one. I haven't read the rest of the series yet but I liked it. I'll agree. She's a strong heroine. I like female characters that don't need to rely on a man and can do their own ass-whoopings, basically. :p

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments BonFire
I haven't read the rest either I think I have two more that I still have to read in the series.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2010 03:03AM) (new)

you could try the Stephanie Patrick series by Mark Burnell -1) Rhythm Section through to 4) the Third Woman - I really enjoyed Chameleon the 2nd book in the series. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/m...

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2010 03:08AM) (new)

and for fantasy enjoyers
www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/kristin-...

message 20: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Vows and Honor - Mercedes Lackey

This is actually a collection of two books, Oathbound and Oathblood. They feature two strong heroines, a swordswoman and a mage who meet and, as is often the case in fantasy tales, have adventures.

I also liked Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels ... ton of books, many with strong female protagonists.

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Jonathan1) Lyra in His Dark Materials
and also LIsbeth Salander in The Millenium trillogy.

message 22: by Rea (new)

Rea Firethorn in Firethorn / Wildfire by Sarah Micklem. It's fantasy and the main character is basically a knight's whore and she follows her knight to war, but she's a really strong character, never giving up no matter what happens to her.

Skaaha in Warrior Daughter by Janet Paisley. It´s historical fiction based on the early life of one of the famous Celtic warrior queens. I found her a captivating character and grew to love her.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Basically all of Tamora Pierce's books feature a strong female hero.

Other good books (YA) would be Princess Academy, Little Women, or the Princess Diaries.

message 24: by Ralph (last edited Nov 11, 2010 08:11AM) (new)

Ralph McEwen There is a whole science fiction series of 10 books and several anthologies written by David Webber called the Honor Harrington series. A very strong female hero. The series is available for free at http://www.baen.com/library/ , I enjoyed it very much.

message 25: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 867 comments Alyssa Locke from Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series.

message 26: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 43 comments Most women from Margaret Atwood's current trilogy (of which the first two are out).

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com

message 27: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I love Elena Micheals from women of the otherworld by Kelley Armstrong!! The entire series has some strong women in it, but I think Elana is my favourite followed by Savannah Lavine.

Bitten -- Elena Micheals and the first book of the series, all these books are great as stand-alones too!!

Dime Store Magic -- Paige is a strong woman in this book, however the reader learns that Savannah is the character to watch and that is confirmed in the latest release Waking The Witch!!

message 28: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) and though I have not tried this series yet I am told that the Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin has a strong female lead

it starts with Once Bitten, Twice Shy

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth Some of Juliet Marillier's novels portray very strong heroines, my favorite being Sorcha from Daughter of the Forest, but there are others.

Gemma Doyle from Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle Trilogy is also very strong and independent even though the novels are set in the Victorian times when women typically don't get much say in anything.

message 30: by Rachel Alice (new)

Rachel Alice | 34 comments Kat from Heist Society by Ally Carter
Deryn from Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Charlotte from The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Alex from Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Mary Russell from The Beekeeper's Apprentice (and subsequent sequels) by Laurie R. King
Helen from Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner
Enna from Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

message 31: by Kass (new)

Kass It's a young adults fantasy book but I love "Finnikin of the Rock" by Melina Marchetta. Evanjalin.

message 32: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 440 comments eve duncan from FACE OF DECEPTION (iris johansen) and other books. This character is in a series.

Kay Scarpetta (patricia cornwell) series character

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games series. She's definitely a flawed main character (but that's why I like her), but she's capable, strong and resourceful. Side Note: If you have not read 'The Hunger Games' I recommend doing so; It's fantastic!!!

message 34: by Paula (last edited Jan 23, 2011 03:39PM) (new)

Paula Martin (paulahmartin) One of my favorite heroines is Mara of the Acoma from Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts' Empire Trilogy. She is also flawed (seems like the best characters are) but since she does become aware of her flaws throughout the story, it makes her that much stronger as a character.
I never really considered myself a fan of the whole fantasy genre, but this series is full of political intrigue, and is pretty well written also.

message 35: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 440 comments i'm liking political espionage a lot lately, especially after 9/11 in america.

message 36: by Ive (new)

Ive Genciagan (ivedelafuente) Astrid Magnussen from White Oleander
Tita Dela Garza from Like Water for Chocolate

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Dent  (Kellythebookbug) | 10 comments Joy wrote: "Vampire Academy-Rose is basically a moroi bodyguard! She is a complete "bad ass", and can kick some major butt. LOL She has a dominant personality.
Basically she is a strong woman. :)"

I absolutely ADORE the VA series! I just finished Blood Promise last night. Go Roza! haha good taste you've got there.

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Shimotakahara (lshimo) | 4 comments Eva Peace, the eccentric matriarch in Sula! Actually, "eccentric" is putting it mildly considering the lengths she has gone to for her family's survival (few women would sacrifice a leg as a creative solution to economic woes). A strong, conflicted, fascinating figure in American literature.....

Ex Lit Prof
www.the-reading-list.com

message 39: by Inkspeckle (new)

Inkspeckle | 1 comments I like Virgilia in "Sand for Dreams" by V.S. Carnes. She appears scatter-brained and almost childlike in her naivete most of the time, but she's as stubborn and fierce in her beliefs as anyone I've ever met in real life!

message 40: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments MARIA RIHTE - VILLAGE OF SYCAMORE Great characters and the main female character is very strong, slightly stubborn and almost defeated when she tries to arrange a studio tour with other artists on the island. The weather is so cold now, that I just might read it again…I need a good laugh and a bit of romance... Village of Sycamore by Maria Rihte

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments Lisa See's females in "On Gold Mountain"

message 42: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert | 1 comments Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine and Tamora pierce are my favorite,although some time authors make their Heroines too stubborn, i respect and admire someone who wont give up easily but i dislike stubbornness for the sake of stubbornness after all error is human but persistence in error is diabolic lol

message 43: by Rhianna (last edited Jan 18, 2012 04:27PM) (new)

Rhianna Clawson Mistborn: The Final Empire it's actually a trilogy

message 44: by Cary (last edited Jan 18, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments My ideal of a strong Heroin is Carmilla. The famale vampire in Sheridan Le Fanu's famous novellete of the same name, Carmilla. Vampires are generally depicted as strong evil men in the old Gothic vampire stories. Or in the new stories as overprotective super hero's. However Carmilla is beautiful, pleasant, and capable of love. As well as being clever and strong enough to elude the men on her trail.
As far as women in real life. I would have to say Cleopatra. Between Ceasar & Marc Antony she bought her country an extra decade of freedom. Had Caesar lived Caesarion may have become Emperor. Or at least Egypt may have maintained it's independance awhile longer.

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (rrrjtl) | 107 comments I would say anything in the Scarpetta series from Patricia Cornwell i.e. Post Mortem. Kay Scarpetta, the main character, is a strong intelligent woman. These are some of my favorite books honestly.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 211 comments I totally agree about Rose from V.A. I think she is a great example for young women. I also enjoyed Honor Harrington, though her man troubles in a "future setting" give me a bit of pause! Same with Kay Scarpetta. I think my over all favorite is Riatha from Eye of the Hunter (though, technically she is an elf!) My friend Dawn Tevy has a book coming out soon (Angels and Warriors) and her lead, Tynae is phenomenal!! She is a fantastic blend of girlie and tough! I am really excited about it!!

message 47: by Edward (new)

Edward Creter (httpwwwedcoolcom) | 62 comments Fans of Kay Scarpetta might wanna try the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. It goes by the alphabet (A is for Alibi, etc.) but each one is terrific. Kinsey is a private eye, very smart, very caring and compassionate and every inch her own woman. She's feminist without overdoing the macho nonsense. I guess that's why I like her. I'm also on the verge of reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tho' I'm not sure. It might be good therapy knowing I'm not alone when I wa hurt in boys' homes, mental wards, etc. and it seems from what I've heard Lisbeth Salander has beeen thru it all and then some.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 211 comments Edward, I totally forgot about Kinsey!! Love her too!!

message 49: by Edward (new)

Edward Creter (httpwwwedcoolcom) | 62 comments Cool! How far have you gotten in the series? And do you think they'll make good movies? Who should play Kinsey?

message 50: by Heidi (last edited Jan 20, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 211 comments I'm a poor book buyer, so I often hunt things out in free bins or garage sales. I have read A is for alibi, M is for Malice, K is for Killer, E is for Evidence and I think I read H is for Homicide. I always hate trying to cast movie version, but I picture either Sandra Bullock or maybe even Angelina Jolie, if she could tone down the sex appeal a bit.

« previous 1 3