Literary Award Winners Fiction Book Club discussion

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
This topic is about Bring Up the Bodies
Past Reads > Bringing up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel, pages 1 - 200

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

George (georgejazz) | 369 comments Mod
Please make comment here on Bringing up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel, pages 1 to 200.

I am half way through the novel. It is a very good historical novel.
It is not necessary to Wolf Hall to enjoy this book. With Wolf Hall there were times I was unsure whether the use of 'he' referred to Thomas Cromwell or someone else. This is not an issue with this novel. It is an easy read. It's the story of Anne Boleyn's demise told from Thomas Cromwell's perspective. I am enjoying the array of interesting characters. So far a 4 to 5 star read for me.

Irene | 443 comments I am somewhere between 35% and 40% into the novel. I am surprised how much I am able to settle into this novel. The sparse writing style that kept me at such an arm's length in Wolf Hall is not bothering me here. Maybe I am just getting used to this style of writing. I agree, interesting characters.

I too am enjoying reading this book much more than Wolf Hall

I am having the same reading experience. Wolf Hall was interesting but a tougher read for me. Bringing up the Bodies is a very engaging read so far.

Irene | 443 comments I wonder if it is because Wolf Hall got me familiar with the writing style and the characters or if this one simply comes together better. I see this is a trilogy. I did not realize there was a third volume. Do you know the name of that final in the series?

I am about 60% through this book. I guess I should start posting in the second thread for this discussion.

message 7: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (maryingilbert) | 59 comments I, on the other hand, have not read Wolf Hall. However my husband and I have watched all four seasons (streaming) of The Tudors. We very much enjoyed the series.

Am enjoying this book as an audiobook. It's helpful that the male narrator uses different tones, inflections, cadences for the numerous characters. As I'm listening to this book, am seeing the Netflix/Amazon version in my mind's eye.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltw) I hope to start this one today! I bit off a bit more than I could chew in the reading department 4 July, so I'm reading madly 2 try & finish them up.