The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Kurt Wallander series - Henning Mankell

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 04, 2009 05:38PM) (new)

Donna | 2143 comments Mod
There were parts of a thread on the Kurt Wallander TV series and the beginnings of a discussion on the books by Henning Mankell so I thought I would bring them together.

I have read a few and seen quite a few of the Kurt Wallander series.

I am partial to the first Swedish version with Rolf Lasgaard as Kurt but the new Swedish version is pretty good. Unfortunately, as much as I like Kenneth Branagh I didn't really like his portrayal of Kurt.

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I liked the Brannah ones - they're showing the Swedish ones on BBC4 unfortunately I didn't know. If it's still on tomorrow I might watch...I find it quite hard to read the subs though in the small window. I'm not sure if it will play in full screen whilst streaming it from iplayer.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read 5 or 6 of the Wallander books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I missed the television series. I'm not even sure I want to see it.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I saw 2 of the 3 Kenneth Branagh/Wallander episodes they showed here. I thought Branagh played the character quite compellingly, and it made me want to read the books. So I've just finished "The Man Who Smiled" and "The Return of the Dancing Master" which isn't a Wallander (it's a Stefan Lindstrom). I love the settings - very atmospheric. A lot of fog, wind, dampness, cold, etc. Although Lindstrom's obsessing about his tongue cancer got to be a bit much.

message 5: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2143 comments Mod
I just saw an episode of the Swedish TV series with Krister Henriksson as Wallander. It seems, but I could be wrong, that these shows are not based on Henning Mankell's books directly but written as TV episodes with the characters from the more recent books. There are 18 episodes made since 2005. It was very good and I think our local station will air a few more but I guess they are limited to those available with English subtitles.

message 6: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 4 comments In the credits at the start of the Swedish version (which haven't been completely translated from the Swedish), it states that the series is based upon the books by Henning Mankell. I hope that explains things.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Donovan | 45 comments Just finished "Faceless Killers" and enjoyed it very much. Wish I could have read it in the original Swedish, though. Kenneth Branagh was a great choice in the series to play Wallander in the series that I saw. My PBS station did not run the subtitled Swedish version (and I wish they had - or would). When I was quite young, I read everything that Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowell wrote. Very good books as I recall, and I'm going to re-read them now. They were well written and, as I recall, well translated. I live in a beach town in sunny Southern California, but seem drawn to cold dark climes in a lot of my reading.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I recently read "The Dogs of Riga" and was disappointed. It started out well, but then turned into something more political than straight murder-mystery. I still intend to read all of Mankell, though, because some of them I've really liked.

message 9: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 14 comments I am sad this series ended. It was like losing a good acquaintance.

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 32509 comments Has he made an announcement that he is through with the series?

I know he has written books in the last few years that are both in the series and outside the series.

message 11: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 4386 comments Mod
I've seen most if not all of the Kenneth Branagh series and quite enjoyed. Mind you, he is the most depressing police officer I've ever seen on TV and I do think at times he just sort of walks into solving the cases. I've two or three of the books on my book shelf and hope to read them this year.

message 12: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1330 comments I've enjoyed the novels, and I think Branagh makes a great Kurt. There's always that darkness in the atmosphere of the novels and the series.

message 13: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Britton | 39 comments I enjoyed both the UK and Swedish versions of Wallander. But it may have spoiled the books as now I know the endings of the ones I've seen. Which is most of them. I like the dark atmosphere and he seemed a real character.

message 14: by R.M.F (new)

R.M.F Brown | 239 comments I liked the original Wallander (blond haired) but I read somewhere he got the boot for on set trouble. A shame really.

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 187 comments I prefer Krister Henriksson and Kenneth Branagh to the first Swedish Wallander. There was a short documentary about the TV series recently on the MHz network. Apparently Mankell created the ideas for more recent TV episodes that aren't based on books.