New Yorker Lovers discussion

The Kindle

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jana (new)

Jana | 27 comments Mod
The newest issue (Aug. 3rd) has an interesting article about the Kindle. What do you all think? I think the writer has an opinion but is holding out a bit because he thinks that he needs to report on the new fad of digital book media, opposed to saying one medium is better than the other. I have no desire for a Kindle--I prefer the paper. There's nothing better, really.

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc | 5 comments You're probably right about the author holding back a bit on his criticism. While the end of the article has a somewhat positive tone, the rest of the article points out the drawbacks. I was especially taken by the amount of resources that go into this supposedly "green" piece of technology, but my favorite passage in the article was the one where the author lists all of the negative comments on the design of the original Kindle.

message 3: by Randi (new)

Randi (randiw) I, too, prefer holding a good book. Nicholson Baker (the author of the article) answers some questions online: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs...

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 13 comments I have some comments about the issue in general. Should I start a new topic?

message 5: by Jana (new)

Jana | 27 comments Mod
Jayme, write your comments here. It was a pretty great issue, so we'll just call it the Kindle issue. I also read about Michael Savage (what horrible experience did he go through that made him get so weird?) and Judas. I couldn't get into the Joshua Ferris story, though, despite my initial excitement.

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 13 comments I really enjoyed the piece on Siberia-I didn't know anything about it before. Who knew there was such a vibrant and viable culture there? The issue is worth the price just for the women with strategically placed lettuce selling vegetables at the market.

message 7: by Jana (new)

Jana | 27 comments Mod
Randi, thanks for the link. There are a lot of thoughts about this!

message 8: by Jana (new)

Jana | 27 comments Mod
I actually didn't read the piece on Siberia. I'm a big setting person, and I didn't know if I wanted that setting in my head for the duration of the article. But I will have to look at it now.