Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > 1600s-1800s

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments This one is pretty broad, but we'll see how it goes. A good idea for this thread, besides just specific book recs, might be to recommend your favorite period or culture within this time frame.

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 48 comments I know a ton of people enjoy reading about the Civil War, and there are so many Civil War HF books out there such as:
North and South by John Jakes
Cold Mountain by Charles Frasier - I have yet to read this, but the cover is pretty and I love a good love story :-D
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments For an interesting look at the Civil War I would recommend March by Geraldine Brooks.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments ooooh Donna, I love that you recommend that because...I have it! hehe. I'm glad you gave me a reason to bump it up the list.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Enemy Women A Novel was good, from what I remember.

Do the Pink Carnation books fit in here?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Yup! I think they would. The Pink Carnation series starts with...The Secret History of the Pink Carnation of course.

My favorite of the series so far is actually the second book, The Masque of the Black Tulip

message 7: by Esther (last edited Aug 06, 2009 12:52AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) I love the time period of the English Civil War and the InterRegnum (1641-1659) but it doesn't seem to be that popular in film or in books.

So far I have read Graves Wife to Mr Milton and Iain Pears An Instance of the Fingerpost.

Any recommendations?

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) One book that I highly, highly recommend is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It's set in the 1850's during the Gold Rush and is a retelling of the story of Hosea in the bible. I'm horrible with book descriptions, so click on the book link to get a better picture of what it's about.

This is hands-down one of the most AMAZING books I've ever read. It's a beautiful illustration of God's unending grace and the power of forgiveness. If you're looking for something to touch your heart in a big way, this is one you won't soon forget!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments I totally back Heather, Redeeming Love is one of my absolute favorite books of all time.

message 10: by JG (The Introverted Reader) (last edited Aug 10, 2009 03:16AM) (new)

JG (The Introverted Reader) The Alienist is fantastic historical crime. It's set in New York in the late 1890s, when fingerprints are just being identified as evidence and features a psychiatrist who gets into some psychological profiling. There's a sequel too, The Angel of Darkness.

The Known World is a Pulitzer prize winner about a black slave owner. It took me a while to get into this, but I really enjoyed it in the end.

Is historical fantasy okay in here? If not, I'll edit this out. Anyway, His Majesty's Dragon is set in England during the Napoleonic wars, but the twist is that dragons are used in the fighting.

Going further back now, The Passion of Artemisia was really good. It's about the first female painter to be admitted to a prestigious art academy in Florence. Sounds dry, but it's not.

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 469 comments There's a book called Dragon America which takes place during the American Revolution. Daniel Boone is trying to get dragons to help win the revolution. There are some Native Americans along for the ride. It's a fun read.

Shomeret

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) WOW - For the Civil War I like the Micheal Shaara and Jeff Shaara books, Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure.

Allison - I have been really looking forward to starting The Pink Carnation series.

JG - I love the Temeriare series that starts with His Majesty's Dragon. It is great!! And I have added the Alienist to my TBR list.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments I am listening to The Disagreement A Novel by Nick Taylor. It is set in Charlottesville, Va at the beginning of the Civil War. Very little about the battles, it is a story of a young man attending medical school at UVA and the effects the war has on him and his family. A different Southern perspective.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I hope you like The Alienist when you get to it, Lyn! And Pink Carnation! Those books are addicting. :-)

message 15: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments Has anyone read The Crimson Petal and the White? I believe it's set in the late 1800s.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Natalee wrote: "Has anyone read The Crimson Petal and the White? I believe it's set in the late 1800s. "

I know quite a few of us own it to read.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Yep...I just bought it the other day :)

message 18: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) April wrote: "I know a ton of people enjoy reading about the Civil War, and there are so many Civil War HF books out there such as:
North and South by John Jakes
Cold Mountain by Charles Frasier - I have yet t..."

Wouldnt recommend Cold mountain! I read that for A level. Yuk! Mind you I suppose everyone has different tastes!

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 225 comments I liked the Oldest Living COnfederate Widow tells all. I read it years ago and dont recall the auhor. But I do remember loving the book

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3733 comments Mod
Wow... seems I've somehow not replied to anything in this thread yet. *Slacker Mod* =\

JG - HF Fantasy is perfectly fine. We don't discriminate here. I'm willing to allow just about anything and everything that could possibly be considered HF. Fantasy, Alternate History, Steampunk, Sci-fi (if there is any HF Sci-fi), whatever! :)

April - I love GWTW! It's one of my favorite books. In fact, it's the ONLY book mentioned in this thread that I've actually read before. LOL

I do want to read the Pink Carnation series and North and South by Jakes.

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

And furthermore... I'm very surprised that Allison hasn't mentioned the great books that I sent to her that she really enjoyed! Those being Push Not the River by James Conroyd Martin and Against a Crimson Sky A Novel, which is the sequel.

Push details the Revolution in Poland at the tail end of the 18th century, and touches on the French Revolution at the same time. It's also a bit of a love story and family drama. It's based on the real diary of a Polish Countess. I loved it!

The sequel continues Anna's (the Countess) story years later during Napoleon's time.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments I've been slacking in here too, it seems. Yes, Push Not the River is very good! I haven't read the sequel yet, but plan on it soon.

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Allison wrote: "I've been slacking in here too, it seems. Yes, Push Not the River is very good! I haven't read the sequel yet, but plan on it soon."

*taps foot*

message 24: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 3081 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "Wow... seems I've somehow not replied to anything in this thread yet. *Slacker Mod* =\

JG - HF Fantasy is perfectly fine. We don't discriminate here. I'm willing to allow just about anything and e..."

I've read the first three in the Pink Carnation Series. I really enjoyed them. The first two have a bit more romance in them but after that it's a bit more mystery.

message 25: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) A really good book or series, is the Flashman Papers. Ok yes this is a complete boys series, but they involve a series of 'autobiographies' by one Harry Flashman Victorian Solider, a great hero of the realm. Unfortunately he is a complete fraud, coward, raciest, bigot, sexiest and will shag anything that moves. But you get to go into places such as 19th century Afghanistan, Africa, China and India. They are really different and ludicrous in a sane way.

Oh and I cannot not leave out Pride and Prejudice, which I know is technically not historical fiction, but can be read as one since we are now in the 21st century :).

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I think P&P would just be a classic. I'm pretty liberal with HF, but to me, if it was contemporary when it was written, meaning that the time it was written in is the time that it was set, then I don't count it as HF.

I will look into the Flashman papers. Thanks for that!

message 27: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Yeah I knew I wasn't going to get away with that one :). Flashman is written by George Macdonald Fraser.

message 28: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL There's nothing to get away with. If you want to think of it that way, by all means, do so! I wouldn't count it for the challenge, but you can categorize however you like!

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon | 374 comments Im audioing Master and Commander, read by Robert Hardy - pretty amusing seafaring stuff so far... hope it doesnt flag. Audios have a tendency to get me excited and then end up droning on after a disc or two, but this is making me smile in the car at the moment which is a good thing right now let me tell you

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Ok - this thread has definitely made my TBR worse. As for my favorite period during this time, I think it would be the early 1900s (before the Great Depression), or the time right before the Civil War.

message 31: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Lindsay wrote: "A really good book or series, is the Flashman Papers. Ok yes this is a complete boys series, but they involve a series of 'autobiographies' by one Harry Flashman Victorian Solider, a great hero of..."

Isn't Flashman based on the character from Tom Brown's School days?

message 32: by Misty (new)

Misty | 39 comments I just read Witch Child by Celia Rees. Thought you guys might like it. It's about a girl who flees England in 1659 after her grandmother is killed for being a witch. She escapes with Puritans and lives on eggshells, waiting for them to being to suspect her, too.
It has a great "witch trials" feel. It takes the form of a diary, and it really makes your skin crawl sometimes thinking of how easily a smart/unmarried/independent/outspoken/insert-description-here girl or woman could be put to death just for being herself.
All told, great story, quick read, Puritans freak me out.

message 33: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Religious fanatics of all kinds freak me out. Denomination notwithstanding.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Misty and Becky - I agree with you both, and I'll take it one step further, fanatics of all kinds freak me out, regardless of the cause.

message 35: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I concur. :D

JG (The Introverted Reader) Sounds good, Misty. I'll look forward to your review.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments have you guys seen Just Like Heaven? The creepy priest that kept yelling "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" from that movie is always what comes to mind when I think of a fanatic.

lol.

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

No... Whenever I hear that line I think of The Exorcist.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments yeah, I think it might have been making fun of The Exorcist.

message 40: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Oh. O_o

That's dangerous. They could get all possessed.

message 41: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Yes Flashman is from Tom Brown, the series starts after he is expelled.

message 42: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments Yeah Fanatics scare me. I can't imagine believing something so strongly you would kill people over it. Can't we all just get along?

message 43: by Misty (new)

Misty | 39 comments I think of Pastor Becky from Jesus Camp when I think of fanatic. Her yelling "Warlocks are the enemies of god! And if Harry Potter had lived in the bible, he would have been stoned to death!"
Fanatical? check.

message 44: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Ugh. She gave me a bad name. >:(

message 45: by Becky, Moddess (new)

If HP had lived in the Bible, he'd probably be Jesus. But, whatev. LOL

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Becky wrote: "If HP had lived in the Bible, he'd probably be Jesus. But, whatev. LOL"

*doesn't have anything to say to that*

But if there was a Harry Potter camp, I would totally go.

(there probably are some)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments http://ucci.org/event%20desc/Harry%20...

oh look, a HP camp run by a church.

They are double dipping! haha.

message 48: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I want to go to the HP Universal attraction. It opens in March.

We should totally go.
Really.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments uh, YEAH. I thought that was the plan.

message 50: by Becky, Moddess (new)

It is. Just making sure you're not gonna be all like, "Oh, I thought that was just talk so I totally made other arrangements to go to Camp Jesus." O_o

« previous 1