Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Books Set in the Medieval Period

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Got some good ones? This is one of my favorite settings!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read some books from this period... what would you recommend?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments A lot of people like Mistress of the Art of Death...it wasn't my favorite, but probably worth checking out. Then there are two other books in that series out so far.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is very good...

Bernard Cornwell has a series called "The Saxon Tales" I want to check out. I think they're pretty popular. Actually I think he has several series set in the Middle Ages, that is just the one I've heard most about.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments and really, the Arthur legends probably technically occurred in the Middle Ages, but we're talking about them in the 1-1500 thread, and we aren't really that nit-picky about dates :P so who cares.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments Name of the Rose is great if you have some patience, i really enjoyed it.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I have Name of the Rose!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I just think everything set in this period is so interesting....

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments if you do World Without End as a group read I might join you.

Pillars IS very good, and never seemed too long for me.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yay Fiona! Warn me about Wives and Daughters, is that next for you after your viner? Hope so! I'll read it with you, then I still want to read Middlemarch...but I have to start that Rome one in September.

)))Bricks(((

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah I started Middlemarch but I started Kushiel's Dart at the same time and well....Kushiel is brilliant and I haven't been able to put it down :)

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 12 comments Ohhhh I love this time period!

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments Heather we WILL do pillars one day lol

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice This book starts out in our time, but ends up in the time frame you are looking for. I love it, because it's always so romaticized, and this book shows you just how hard it would have been to live then.

Timeline Timeline by Michael Crichton

Plus, if you are just getting into this time period as a genre, it will help you compare. I highly reccomend it:)

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 12 comments Heather and Jon,

When you do Pillars, let me know! I would love to read this with others. :)

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 12 comments Sounds great Heather! Thanks for the invite! :)

JG (Introverted Reader) I'm hazy on dates. When are we calling the Medieval Period?

message 17: by JG (Introverted Reader) (last edited Aug 10, 2009 03:13AM) (new)

JG (Introverted Reader) I'll put Dissolution and it's sequels in here since they don't belong anywhere else. Historical crime again, set in the time of Henry VIII. My husband's not a reader, and even he tore through this series.

It's been a while, but I remember The Wild Irish A Novel of Elizabeth I and the Pirate O'Malley as being really good.

message 18: by Toni (new)

Toni Osborne (toniosborne) Ariana Franklin fiction series " Mistress in the art of Death" is set in Medieval England.(was mentioned previously by Allison)

Sandra Gulland fiction " Mistress of the Sun" may quality for being during France medieval time...

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Kandice wrote: "This book starts out in our time, but ends up in the time frame you are looking for. I love it, because it's always so romaticized, and this book shows you just how hard it would have been to live ..."

Hi Kandice, I agree with you; Timeline is a great book! It is one of my favorite quick reads and one of Crichton's best.