Young Adult Reader Club discussion

New Members > Tell us about yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna (last edited Aug 08, 2009 03:45PM) (new)

Jenna (missjenna) | 586 comments Mod
This area is for members of our group (both old and new) to tell us a little bit about themselves. It can be anything really, just a way to let us get to know you.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm not new but heres a little about me. I am 23 years old and I reside in Walnut Creek, California. I am currently in college studying to be a teacher. I have two cats and two dachshunds. I LOVE TO READ. I am a total bookaholic.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments Hi everyone, I'm Rachel. :)

I'm almost 16 (birthday is this Tuesday), and I plan on becoming a doctor. I love to read, and I read just about anything.

I'm also very obssessed with musicals, and can relate everything that I read to at least 1 of my musicals.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourselves Ashley and Rachel and welcome!

message 5: by Sar (new)

Sar (sarahjstraley) | 4 comments Hi everbody, I'm Sarah.

I;m seventeen and I want to be a nurse when I'm older. I'm currently a senior at a high school about 45 minutes northwest of chicago.
I absolutely love reading, and i'm fairly new at reading. It hasn't really been my favorite thing to do since about april, but since then, I have had a book in hand everyday.

message 6: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 73 comments Hey everybody. I'm Shanna. I'm 21, i'll be 22 in October. I live in Michigan and work at a fast food restaurant. I'm really excited for fall time, it's my favorite season. I like reading, knitting, dancing, music, being on the computer, exercising and other random stuff. I love discovering new hobbies and meeting new people!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments Hi Sarah! Hi Shanna!

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Hello Sarah and Shanna,thanks for telling us about yourselves!

message 9: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Hi, I'm Gemma (:
I'm 16 and since it's the holidays I've been obsessively reading anything & everything :L I love Alfred Hitchcock movies & surfing Wikipedia for random facts, and my fave subjects are history, latin, english & french.
I'd love to live in Paris one day, preferably with a hot French guy. :] So looking forward to the fall books all coming out this year, it's going to be amazing!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I'm Hannah,
I live in California and I'm fourteen years old. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I love to read. My favorite books are The Book Thief and To Kill A Mockingbird.

message 11: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 25 comments Hannah wrote: "Hi I'm Hannah,
I live in California and I'm fourteen years old. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I love to read. My favorite books are The Book Thief and To Kill A Mockingbird."

Hi Hannah. Have you read Graceling?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey hannah! Dana, I love Graceling! Great book for anyone who likes YA fantasy.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Dana I read Gracling and it was great. I just learned there is going to be a prequel I am so excited!

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bell | 8 comments My Name is Hannah Bell I just joined Goodreads. I am a student at the local college and I want to be a teacher.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments Hi Hannah! I hope you like Goodreads and the group! :D

message 16: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Hello. I am Kellee. I am 27 years old and from Orlando, FL. I currently teach 7th grade language arts (though I taught 6th grade for the last 3 years) and have a 1300 book classroom library. My favorite book of all time is The Giver and The Hunger Games series has quickly risen on my list.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments Hi Kellee! 1300 books?! I wish I had you for a 7th grade teacher. XD

I love those books so much! They're some of my favorites too!

message 18: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Thank you Rachel! Yes, my classroom library is my pride and joy! I try very hard to help each student find a book that they will enjoy. This is much easier with 1300 books :)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments That's so nice! I wish my brother's teachers would do that.

message 20: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Rachel,

(Not tooting my own horn, promise... Just getting on my soap box.)

I wish all teachers would do that. I find it very sad that language arts and reading teachers don't read themselves! They should be knowledgeable about everything in their content area- including the books their students read. Even without the classroom library teachers could do it (because I know some teachers can't/don't want to spend the money), there is always the school library.

I would be happy to help your brother find books if you need my help. I don't know how old he is, but if you want to message me that and what type of books he likes, I can try to help :)

message 21: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Linda Grace wrote: "Hey hannah! Dana, I love Graceling! Great book for anyone who likes YA fantasy."

Linda,

Is this book appropriate for 7th graders?

Kellee

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments I never realized that some English teachers don't read...wow! I had always just subconsciously assumed that they all liked to read. My old teachers didn't really put much effort into getting us to read, but now, my teacher is really good about it. I'm glad that I've always liked reading enough to look stuff up on my own. If I didn't, I don't think I would have read anything outside of school.

My mom and I are always trying to get my brother to read, but he just doesn't. It's really annoying. And my mom doesn't read books at all, so he always uses that as an excuse not to read things. I'll send you a message, thanks! :D

message 23: by Jenna (new)

Wow I never really realized that English teachers didn't all read themselves. I guess I've always been really luck and had English teachers who really appreciated reading. I as an Art teacher and avid reader bring reading into my classroom any chance I get and the students just love it!

message 24: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jenna and Rachel,

You would be surprised by how many teachers do not read or even go as far as saying they don't like to read.
A lot do read, but not what their students are reading, which doesn't really help them in the classroom except that they can tell the stduents that they do read.
It is really sad....

message 25: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jenna,

What ages do you teach?

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 25 comments Kellee wrote: "Linda Grace wrote: "Hey hannah! Dana, I love Graceling! Great book for anyone who likes YA fantasy."

Linda,

Kellee"

I think Graceling is o.k. for that age. There is an allusion to the main characters having sex however, but it's never described.

message 27: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Dana wrote: "Kellee wrote: "Linda Grace wrote: "Hey hannah! Dana, I love Graceling! Great book for anyone who likes YA fantasy."

Linda,

Kellee"

I..."

Thank you. I am worried because I have heard both ways and Publisher's Weekly said 14 and up. It may just need to be one that I read myself before deciding.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 18 comments Kellee wrote: "Jenna and Rachel,

You would be surprised by how many teachers do not read or even go as far as saying they don't like to read.
A lot do read, but not what their students are reading, which d..."

What?! An English teacher who doesn't like to read is like a math teacher who hates math. That's awful!

message 29: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) There are math teachers who hate math too.....
*Sh* They don't want you to know the truth.

message 30: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Kraut I am new to the group. I am a 28 year old with 3 boys. I am in my last year to teach elementary grade levels. I am always looking for great books to read for myself but I am also working on building my classroom library even though I am not sure which grade level I will be teaching right know. I will say that I look forward to getting opinions on books from other people.

message 31: by Jenna (new)

I just think that's crazy,I think in order to get the students motivated and passionate about what you're teaching you as the teacher have to love it.

I'm currently working at a charter school with 6th-8th graders and I integrate the books they are reading with the artwork they do and they just love it.

It gets them thinking about the stories more and making thoughtful and very creative art pieces.

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie (nmasay) | 2 comments Hi. I'm Marie. I'm a nurse and a mom of 2 boys. After nursing school I have been refueling my reading. I'm always looking for new books to read. YA is one of my favorite genres. The Giver is my favorite book of all time.

message 33: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Marie,

The Giver is my favorite of all time too!!!
I read it in 7th grade and it changed my view of the world.

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I am so behind the times lately.

Just found this thread!

Hi guys. I'm Kristen, I'm a recent newlywed (Oct. 24th!) and an elementary school librarian. I run a blog in my spare time and have just recently moved!

I also set my stove on fire Monday.. which wasn't good, but our new apartment complex has already replaced it and everything is a-okay! No one hurt, it didn't spread and the smoke damage is minimal.

Happy Thanksgiving to those of us in the US!

message 35: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments I actually have an English teacher who when teaching Jane Eyre to my class, told me she'd never read past the first ten chapters - I was so shocked! She's also never read Pride & Prejudice or any classics, she says she finds them too difficult to read. She's a great teacher, but I was really surprised - I mean, I always thought it was part of the job :L She also told my class The Telltale Heart was written by Walt Whitman, which really confused me - I was questioning whether Edgar Allen Poe wrote it even though I've read it since I thought, 'She's an English teacher, so she must be right...' Very strange. (:

message 36: by snapp (new)

snapp (snappapp) Hi everyone!

My name is Anna, I'm 27 years old and live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a high school librarian with an interest in YA literature so I'm excited to join this group and read everyone's recommendations. I hope to find time to join in some of the challenges too :)

message 37: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 10 comments Welcome Anna! I am Tracy, 35, and love YA books. I am reviewing this discussion about English teachers above and it is shocking. All of my English teachers have loved reading. I know two English teachers and they read all the time. I am not sure how you can teach English (grammar or literary appreciation) without reading. Interesting . . . and sad that it happens.

message 38: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabithaherron) | 1 comments Hello, everyone!
My name is Tabitha, and I am a high school English teacher who loves to read everything. I joined this group with the specific purpose of exposing myself to more YA books that I can use to hook my students into reading. I love the classics, but I love contemporary novels and fantasy/paranormal romance when I need to escape. I read what the librarian suggests, and I have my students on goodreads.com so we can share things that we think someone else would like. It seems like every year I have a student who shares with me that by being in my class he/she finished his/her first book ever! It is that reason that spurs me on to find more books that they might like. I'm having my students do book trailers this semester on a favorite book of theirs that they would like someone else to read. Thanks for letting me in!

message 39: by Lorainne (new)

Lorainne | 1 comments Hi :)
I'm Lauren. I'll be 16 in January, and I'm very excited because I'll be able to drive to the library without my mom grumping about having to take me. I live near Nashville, and I hope to become an animator one day. Maybe I'll get the chance to bring a book alive ;)

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz Durham | 3 comments Hi!

I'm Liz, a 26 year old Literature major! I currently reside in North Dakota, and I LOVE young adult/children's fiction! Especially anything to do with fantasy, myths, fairy tales, stories about journeys, etc. I really like almost all the books on this group's bookshelf!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ | 3 comments Hey everyone! I'm Gokce, 26 years old and I just discovered this genre but I absolutely love it! I've read The Hunger Games books and another series called the Darkest Powers so far and looking for more. Recommend me anything you think is worth checking out, I'd love to read more of this genre!

message 42: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Welcome Gokce, Liz and other new members!
We are glad you decided to join! :)
Remember to vote on monthly reads and partaking in challenges is always fun.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ | 3 comments Hey Kellee, thanks for the welcome! :)

message 44: by Christina (new)

Christina (iceprincess) Hello! I'm Christina and I'm 23. I work at a hospital switchboard so I'm lucky enough to be able to read during slow times. I'm also in college. I'll read pretty much anything, but I love YA books and a good number of the books I read are YA. My other favorite genre is fantasy, so a YA fantasy book is basically automatically awesome in my mind. LOL I have a sister who is about to turn 13, so reading YA books that she's into also helps me connect with her. :)

message 45: by Jenna (new)

Welcome all new member! We are so glad you have joined us! I hope that you have tons of fun reading and discussing with our group! If you ever need anything or just have some suggestions,please feel free the message me anytime!

message 46: by Tlc (new)

Tlc | 7 comments Kristen invited me into this group - so hi everyone! I'm TLC and work with kids in a public library in the Chicagoland area and love to read. I think I'm on the oldest end of this group but I do prefer YA books personally. Favorites include Terry Pratchett's teen trio Wee Free Men/Hat Full of Sky/Wintersmith and Andrew Clement's Things Not Seen series (haven't read the 3rd yet however.) When I'm not reading for fun or work, I'm a jazz trombonist.

message 47: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Welcome Tlc! Nice to see you again :)

message 48: by Jenna (new)

Welcome to the group TLC

message 49: by Nindy (new)

Nindy Hardjadinata (nindyart) | 2 comments Hello everyone, I'm Sara and I'm a Psychology student. I'm an artist and a writer as well. Mostly I'm blogging but currently I write novels and some short stories.

I mostly read books of Meg Cabot, Sitta Karina, Dee (Dewi Lestari) and Becca Fitzpatrick. They're my fave authors.

This group would be an inspiration about what book I'd like to read in the future. You know, gimme some clues or what and then I can throw my self to the bookstore and grab some :D

Anyway, nice to meet you all here :]

message 50: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Welcome Sara! I cannot wait to hear your input :)

« previous 1 3