fantasy book lovers!! discussion

your top 5... > Top 5 Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) I know lots of you have recommended some good books, but I am really interested in series. The thing is I haven't been able to find a series that I seem to absolutely love since The Mortal Instruments finished. I know I felt this way when Potter ended and again when Twilight ended, so I know I will find something else eventually.

I have started the first books in a few series, but since they didn't catch me the same way I have yet to read the next books in the series. Some of those recently are: The Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy, Night Huntress, Percy Jackson, Gemma Doyle... So far I liked the Night Huntress the best out of all of them (warning, it is a very adult series). I wonder if maybe I would like some of the series more if I keep reading? If some of the later books are better than the first?

So I guess I'm asking for your help since most of us seem to like the same books. If you had to rate your top 5 fantasy series of ALL TIME, what would they be?

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 04, 2009 05:00PM) (new)

The Hunger Games
Pretty little liars
The Divide
Maximum Ride

Those are my favorite series

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I had a hard time getting into Vampire Academy unitl it got to about page 100 so if you haven't finished that book keep going it gets better. I just bought the second one because I finally got into the first one. I haven't read the House of Night series but I hear that it is really good too. Dont even bother with the Sookie Stakehouse series it's terrible!! Another series you might want to try is the Carpanthian series by Christine Feehan. I haven't started that one either but there are like 20 books int and the reviews are pretty good. Hope that helped!

message 4: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) ^^Thanks Stephanie! I actually finished the first Vampire Academy book a couple days ago. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I am starting the second one though. I didn't care for Sookie Stackhouse either. I couldn't get into the House of Night series, but I may give them another shot someday.

Eme, I loved the Hunger Games! I have Maximum Ride on my to-read list, but I wanted to finish Percy Jackson first.

message 5: by Mazmum (new)

Mazmum | 18 comments Have you tried the Dragons books by Katie MacAlister? There is the Aisling Grey Series and then a spin of which is the Silver Dragons. Very funny books indeed.

message 6: by ~Kate~ (last edited Aug 09, 2009 08:11AM) (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) well my top 5 fave eva series includes wot u have already read but here goes

The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass

Glass Houses(morganville series only read the 1st 1 but definately will read the rest the 1st 1 was really gud mayb if u havent read it u cud give this a try i luved it)

The Twilight Saga

Wicked Lovely series

Inheritance Cycle(eragon etc...)

message 7: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ The House of Night Series

Blue Bloods (don't read if your a strong christian)

message 8: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) I haven't heard of the Dragon books before. I'll have to look them up. I will probably give the HON series another go.

Katie, I just bought Wicked Lovely. I haven't read it yet though. Going to finish the last Vampire Academy before the new one comes out. I will probably try the Morganville vamps too. I put it on my TBR list. I haven't read the third Inheritance yet. I was a little miffed when I got the email saying there would be a fourth book so I didn't buy it. Did you like Brisingr more than the first two? I liked Eldest better than Eragon.

message 9: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i thought it was betta than eldest but eragon is the best 1 loads does happen in brisingr so if i were u i wud read it. wicked lovely is soooooooooo gud i neva thought i wud luv it so much but i did. yeah u shud definately give morganville series a go as i luved the 1st 1 soooooooooo much that i feel its betta than twilight but that is only my opinion!!

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments Here's min although most have already been mentioned.

The Mortal Instruments
Gemma Doyle
House of Night
Wicked Lovely
Vampire Academy (I''ve only read the 1st one so far but I really like it.)
(and I have to say Twilight otherwise i feel like I'm betraying it.)

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) TMI
Gemm aDoyle
Wicked Lovely
Any Sahra Dessen Books
Thithe
Graceling
Gone
More look at my books for more....

message 12: by Jessamine (new)

Jessamine (jessiisawesome) | 4 comments My only two have already been mentioned, but its the Twilight saga and the Mortal Instruments trilogy

message 13: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) a couple of u have sed about gemma doyle wots it about av neva heard of it

message 14: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) ^^ I am just over halfway, so I don't know a whole lot yet, but it's about a young girl that gets sent to an academy for young women to learn how to become proper ladies. She ends up being able to see realms or another world. It's actually still pretty confusing where I'm at, I don't really know yet. So far it has been really hard for me to get through. I hear it picks up soon so I'm trying, but I only have it on audiobook and it puts me to sleep.

message 15: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) lol thanx 4 explaining might read it dont no yet tho

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

harrypotter
pendragon
twilight
campconfidential
ttfn(some are not fantasy)

message 17: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Another series no one mentioned was the Sloppy Firsts series by Megan McCafferty. This series is really funny, although not fantasy.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I've heard the Jack Daniels Mysteries by j.a. konrath are good. I haven't started them but i'm looking forward to it.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Marked
Not a Series but ANything By Sarah Dessen
TTYL
The CLique (my guuilty pleasure)
HARRY POTTER! ALL THE WAY MY NUMBA ONE!

message 20: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Absolutely any Sarah Dessen book. :) They're really good and you won't regret reading them.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

omg Madison!... we. have. the .same. NAMA! whoooa

message 22: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Lol. We do. :)

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments ~♡кαтιє♡~ wrote: "a couple of u have sed about gemma doyle wots it about av neva heard of it"

It's seriously good. The last book is absolutely amazing. Gemma has a special power inherited from her recently deceased mother which enables her to enter the 'realms' and control their magic. She has to deal with the responsibility of all that as well as try to survive a ruthless social scene, come to terms with her mothers death, deal with some pretty bad friendship issues and then obviously there's a guy.

message 24: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) sounds gud

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments it is

message 26: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) might give it a read

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments you should, i really enjoyed them!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

ew i started them and got really really bored, partly bcuz i can't just read one book at a time, i was reading a few and the others were sooo much better than that book I just stopped and got a bettr book

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments how far did you get in it?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

like far like 60 pages i was like DONE!

message 31: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Hmmm, now I'm not sure if I want to read it or not.

message 32: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Me too Madison. I stopped right around halfway. It is so boring to me so far. I am going to force myself to finish it though. Lots of people like it so maybe I will eventually.

message 33: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments If two people say that, then I probally won't read it

message 34: by Sar (new)

Sar (sarahjstraley) hmm, just five?
well, I would have to say:
The Twilight saga,
Mortal Instruments,
Evernight,
Vampire Academy,
Blue is for Nightmares.(If you havent read any of these, you really should. it's a great series.)
(my new favorite series would have to be The Immortals by alyson noel.)

message 35: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) not heard of blue is for nightmares wots it about?

message 36: by Sar (new)

Sar (sarahjstraley) ~♡кαтιє♡~ wrote: "not heard of blue is for nightmares wots it about?"

Its about a girl who has nightmare and they are premonitions. So her and her friends have to help each other. She mostly has nightmares about people who are going to die, and she has to help save them before it's too late. It's a really good series despite the new book that's coming out is supposed to be a graphic novel.

message 37: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Oh, I liked the Blue is for Nightmares series. I'm really bummed the 5th is gonna be a graphic novel. I'm not even going to deal with that.

message 38: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) sounds interesting but wots a graphic novel magazine/comic book

message 39: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Well, it's a lot of pictures and captions about the pictures. I think that's what it's gonna be, right?

message 40: by Sar (new)

Sar (sarahjstraley) ~♡кαтιє♡~ wrote: "sounds interesting but wots a graphic novel magazine/comic book"

it's like a comic book, yeah.
and you can preview it if you search the book on amazon and click to preview it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Beginning...#

message 41: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) okies thanx

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments sounds good but the graphic novel thing puts me off. BTW anyone who gave up on a great and terrible beauty should give it another go, it does get better and the last book is amazing!

message 43: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments Hmm, I haven't read it but it's on my to-read. Has anyone read the Luxe series?

message 44: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) yup av read the luxe series

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments I just finished Luxe today and am getting Rumors tomorrow, I loved it.

message 46: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) Rebecca ❤ Bea ❤ wrote: "I just finished Luxe today and am getting Rumors tomorrow, I loved it. "

av read them all they get betta as the series goes on and it looks like the last book splendor will not b out til july 2010 4 uk neway the us get it in november this year

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments so we have to wait nearly a whole year after thats so unfair.

message 48: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Rebecca ❤ Bea ❤ wrote: "BTW anyone who gave up on a great and terrible beauty should give it another go, it does get better and the last book is amazing!"
Hmmm, I am pretty far into it now, but I am still kind of bored.

***SPOILERS***

I've read past where Gemma brings her friends with her and sees her mother to find out about her magic. Is the next book better?

message 49: by madison (new)

madison (HBmadison) | 131 comments They do get better as they go along. I love Henry and Diana. That's a bummer you have to wait so long.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 71 comments Carrie wrote: "Rebecca ❤ Bea ❤ wrote: "BTW anyone who gave up on a great and terrible beauty should give it another go, it does get better and the last book is amazing!"
Hmmm, I am pretty far into it now, but I ..."

The next book is better.

« previous 1 3