The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) The Golden Compass discussion

the golden compass

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katie I did not think i would like the book until I got a quarter of the way threw the book before i learned to like the book.
I loved the way the book was put together. Like how Lyra an elven year old is the "superhero" in the story. I can't waIT TO find out what happens in the next book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

=P

MizziQ It gets WAY cooler. :)

Natalie loves Orlando Bloom! i didnt lik it at 1st,but it got better,WAY better!

Lena The series gets better as it goes. It's one of my favorite books of all time.

thehappyman A really great Trilogy - Very well written and read.

Badgerlord Subtle Knife is where it really get's good.

277Roshan this is the greatest book...perhaps even an equal to LOTR....

Glinda the Gallifreyan Excuse me, everyone, for saying this. Please remember that when I read this I was only in about in fifth grade, but I really didn't like this book. My fifth-grade self found it to be very boring.

Clark Carlton I loved this book but thought that as is often case, the sequels got weaker. I'm glad to see some people disagreeing with that. The first book is so original, so powerful, it doesn't matter to me that the others didn't keep me glued to the pages. It's a great world with important themes. I liked the film version a lot but it definitely had the feel of rushing things.

Angie I have to admit that I got interested in the book first because of its title in UK: "Northern Lights".

I got more than I have expected from this book. I absolutely don't regret in reading it as well as the next two books.

Ruthie Pennington I loved all of these books! I thought they were great entertainment. I have actually been thinking of reading them again lately..

message 14: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina I loved the first book, Lyra's character was brilliant, but I felt that her character changed a little too much in Amber Spyglass, but it was still pretty good.

message 15: by Patryk (new) - added it

Patryk O'really an amazing trilogy,inventive and fresh......the movie however was sadly lacking.....thanks again no face movement Kidman for destroying another picture

Marge Carter I read all of them as an adult and liked the first one the best. I didn't like the way the last one played out so much. When was the movie? I missed it all together I guess. Was it all three or only the first?

Kristin His Dark Materials series was written well. ( Much better than the Twilight Series). I read the entire series when I was younger and found myself able to relate to Lyra very well. I would never compare it to classic literature like LOTR, but it is again a very very interesting story. Oh and my favorite of the series was The Golden Compass, after that I slowly became uninterested. I would suggest that if you like this story you may like The Books of Ember.

Daniel I loved the books and wonder why on earth they won't release the second and third book as movies cause they just get better.

Paula I've read the first 2 books in the series and will read the third at a later date. The Golden Compass was the better of the two that I read. However, I did like The Subtle Knife. There is so much sadness in the books. The evil people are truly evil. I hope Lyra's mother has a very painful ending. In my opinion she is due no redemption what so ever. Her pass crimes are too horrendous. Lyra's dad isn't much better. One of the main reasons that I continue to read the series is Lyra. The children of this series are the true heroes.

Scott Marge wrote: "I read all of them as an adult and liked the first one the best. I didn't like the way the last one played out so much. When was the movie? I missed it all together I guess. Was it all three or ..."

The film came out in 2007. It was excellent, but not a financial success by studio standards. It seems unlikely that it will continue at this point.

Boris Scott wrote: "Marge wrote: "I read all of them as an adult and liked the first one the best. I didn't like the way the last one played out so much. When was the movie? I missed it all together I guess. Was it..."

The reason the movie flapted was the same reson the books are having problems being distributed. Religious groups were bykoting the film and trying do do what they can to limit its release. Because of that the studios couldn't give this film a good promotion and as a result it went pretty much unnoticed in the theaters. THe remaining 2 books will not be made into a movie because its pretty much guarantied that the same thing will happen. There are to many chirstian themes in the books that certain groups don't like to show.

Scott Yes, it was more successful in Europe, where people are generally more rational about this sort of thing.

Kathy Hale I really liked the whole series. I usually reccommend this series to readers who like Harry Potter. There is also a series called "The High King" by Lloyd Alexander that is in the same vein.

Marge Carter Kathy wrote: "I really liked the whole series. I usually reccommend this series to readers who like Harry Potter. There is also a series called "The High King" by Lloyd Alexander that is in the same vein."

I'll have to look for the Lloyd Alexander series. My niece said she liked HDM better than Harry Potter and believe me she is a big Harry Potter fan.

Rachel Marge wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I really liked the whole series. I usually reccommend this series to readers who like Harry Potter. There is also a series called "The High King" by Lloyd Alexander that is in the sam..."

This is definitely the only series that has ever come close to HP in my favorites. They were actually tied at one point, but that was before the last couple of HP books came out. Now HDM is a (necessarily distant) second. Sometimes I think that my book rankings are based on how depressed a book/series leaves me (due to content and the conclusion) =P

message 26: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I read the Golden Compass and i really liked it. I have also read The Subtle Knife which is the next book in the series and I can't wait to read the Amber Spyglass.

Momentai Amber spyglass was meh, subtle knife more magical, and the first was pretty freaking sweet