Gather Yourselves Together discussion

July > The End

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments Sorry I have been slacking on posting (blame my mafia)

So what has ever one thought about the book.

It reminded me so much of the books I read in High School. It has that classic style to it. I am surprised it isn't read in more English classes. Or maybe it is and I just don't know about it.

Tiffany wants you all to know she is headed to WA to see me right now and she promises to post her thoughts when she gets here.

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments Well, you all know basically what I think about it. If I HAD to pick a favorite book of all time (which feels almost treasonous), I would pick this one. But honestly, I still don't know quite why. It's just the way Llewellyn describes everyday moments, I guess. The way he says the self-righteous preacher looks up with eyes that are "hurting with goodness" - or describes how it feels to know you did something wrong - or see people walking the city with insatiable desire for things in the shop windows - or sit down to an amazing meal when you're starving... So many of the things he writes make me say, "WOW! I've felt EXACTLY like that before! I can't believe he found the PERFECT words..." Plus I love a coming-of-age story. One that makes you truly care about the characters - almost as if you know them. As if they really lived. To top it off, the story is written in such a naturalistic style (which isn't common among the well-crafted plots of today's fiction) that glorifies the everyday miracles of the common man. Which is something we can all relate to. I guess I just wish I could write a book like this about my life. Then long after I'm dust, someone could pick up the book, read it, laugh and cry along with me and think, "This matters."

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
This was one of those "romantic" books for me. As I read it, I wished that I lived there in that time. Which shows that it sucked me in, because as I reflected on the book after I finished, I snapped out of it and realized I could never live in a small town, at least not without a big city within 30 miles. And I don't really want to spend my life cooking and cleaning and not knowing how a map works. But as I read the book, I wanted so bad to live there with the Morgans and Mr. Gruffyd. Ahhh...

I do love and appreciate many of their ways of life however. I loved that they settled their own matters and didn't want the law in their town. Everyone that lived there was basically good. They were hard workers and found stuff to do with their time. I loved Huw. I loved reading when he would go to his brothers houses and clean and start supper while he waited for them to get home. Or if he was home from school, he would whitewash the front of the house and the barn, etc. Although I couldn't be far away from a big city, really, that life is ideal.

I loved the dialog between the characters. They said things as they were and made no excuses. The relationship between the brothers was perfect.

I really did love it. Wonderful pick Meg! I'll continue to write things as I think of them, but I think this is a good start.

message 4: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments So, staying home sick for a weekend is apparently what I needed! I finished the book! I really liked it, but I was a little surprised by the way it ended. I thought it would go all the way up to when Huw left, not end after his dad died. Of course, that would have made the book much longer, but I did wonder what happened to everyone between when Gwilym died and Huw left the valley. And what ever happened to Ceinwen?

That being said, I liked it a lot. It's not a book I ever would have picked up on my own, so I'm glad that you picked it, Meg.

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

I assumed and hoped also that it would tell the complete story up until the time that Huw was leaving the house. Ceinwen got knocked up, didn't she? Huw was like, "Huh, I guess that makes sense that it would have happened since we had sex" but he didn't even seem to wonder about his own child! At least that's what I got from it, but I could be wrong (but I'm pretty sure I'm not).

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments I picked up from the library book sale the "sequel" to this book called, of course, "Green, Green My Valley Was" or something of that nature. Someday when I've got a bit of time I'll look into it and see if more of those questions are answered... Hopefully it's better than it's title. HAHAHA

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments Man... I can't make fun of people who write "it's" in place of "its" anymore, I guess. That's the last time I "right" an entry past midnight...

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 58 comments Haha! I can easily spot writing mistakes that others make, but I miss them when I'm writing all the time. Don't worry, Meg, you can still make fun of people when they right stuff rong. :)

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments Was this sequel written by the man himself? Or is it like the sequel to Gone with the Wind, which was written by someone else? Anywho, I am curious to hear what it has to say, once you read it, Meg.

As for typing errors, at this point in my life, I figure any criticism I make of anyone would be beyond hypocritical. I'm a terrible speller and a horrible typer, which is apparently not a word. Typist? There we go.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments So, I did a little research - much more incompetently than Mer, trust me - and it turns out there are THREE sequels to How Green Was My Valley. The first is Up Into the Singing Mountain, in which Huw immigrates to - that's right! - ARGENTINA. Of course he does. Then Down Where the Moon is Small deals with his life in South America, and the final book - Green, Green My Valley Now, which is the one I picked up the other day - deals with Huw's return to Wales. It turns out that Llewelyn himself lived in the United States, throughout Europe, South America, Africa and even Israel. I'm so jealous!

Yeah, I don't really make fun of people who have bad grammar OR typing... mostly just editors who don't catch it because COME ON that's "you're" job. And I prefer to make up my own words, anyway. It's much more interesting. :)

message 11: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments Wow, 3 sequels? That's impressive! Are you planning on reading them, Meg? Or are you content to leave things as they are?

message 12: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments Actually, I think I will read them someday. Although my expectation is that they won't live up to my expectations :)... because, hey, most sequels don't. But I figure it couldn't really hurt anything... and I'd be interested to know where the author sees Huw's life going.

message 13: by Tiffany (new)

Hmmm... I will add them to my "to reads" list. It would be interesting to find out the rest of the story. It might take me a few years though.

BTW, Meg, did you see my reply to your question about "Speaker for the Dead"? I wasn't sure where to reply: should I just reply there? Go to your profile page and respond? ???? I didn't know what to do!

I never make mistakes in typing. I just wanted too note that. Ha ha ha.

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments Yeah--thanks, Tiff. I'm definitely going to read on in the Ender's Game series. I picked up Ender's Shadow the other day (I know it's not actually part of the series, more a parallel story--but I love the character of Bean, so I'm really interested). Maybe after I get to that one, I'll move on to Speaker of the Dead, etc. It's kinda the same deal as How Green--I love the first book so much that I just don't see how the rest could possibly live up to it.

message 15: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 58 comments Well, I can't speak for How Green, but I definitely think the rest of the Ender's Game series is not nearly as good as Ender's Game. Not even close. Not that I didn't enjoy them immensely, but Ender's Game freaking rocks! I love that book so much. I have literally read parts of that book 20 times, at least. I love the zero gravity fights. LOVE!

message 16: by Meg (new)

Meg Sherman (megsherman) | 85 comments I know! And it's so not my typical book choice... I guess if a book is great, it's just GREAT.

message 17: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments I love Enders Game and Enders Shadow and have reread both. As far as Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of The Mind I would have to say don't rush out to read them. They really have little to do with Enders Game.

message 18: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I agree about Ender's Game and the sequels. I like the sequels, but they're so different from the original. It's been about a billion years since I read Ender's Shadow, but I recall loving it, as well. It's the kids playing war games that makes it awesome!