I Am Legend and Other Stories I Am Legend and Other Stories discussion

Best Short Story?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Owlish (last edited Aug 04, 2009 02:23PM) (new) - added it

Owlish I have to be honest, I still haven't read the last two short stories that come after I Am Legend, but I thought "Prey" was outstanding. I wonder if the Chucky movies were based on it. Anyone else think that was the best of the short stories?

Ricki I loved "Prey" too which was the basis for one of the stories in the film, Trilogy of Terror. The whole time I was reading it, I was thinking it reminded me of that movie, so I looked it up, and sure enough, it was based on "Prey".

thehappyman "I am Legend" is a Very Good book but it's oh so scary and the end is a little depressing. Packs a real PUNCH !!!

Miriam The stories were creepy. The one that liked the most was "Mad House".

Geoffrey I have given BORN OF MAN AND WOMAN to my students as a read. I highly recommend this very creepy story.

Kirby are you guys talking about a book that has I am legend plus some other short stories by the same guy? I only recently read I am legend, and I really liked it...

Miriam Kirby wrote: "are you guys talking about a book that has I am legend plus some other short stories by the same guy? I only recently read I am legend, and I really liked it..."

In some of the editions they also have short stories by the same author. Highly recommended.

message 8: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Hallas thehappyman wrote: ""I am Legend" is a Very Good book but it's oh so scary and the end is a little depressing. Packs a real PUNCH !!!"

Well happyman, I feel like if Matheson didn't end it the way he did that punch would not be there. I also think the ending he gave us was necessary and that's part of what made it so great.

Faye Meredith I agree. It's a shock because he totally turns everything upside down - brilliantly unexpected and original. I think it's a cracking ending.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Walsh This one isn't in that edition of IAL, but if you like Matheson you have got to read his short story "The Distributor" ASAP.

message 11: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Trevelean Novella surely?

message 12: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay I loved Prey. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it.

Harpal Singh Born of man and woman is about two page story which is brilliant and so is little girl lost

Karen Prey and Mad House are the two that stick out to me. I loved Prey. There was one other that I really liked, but I can't remember the title. The only details I remember is that it takes place at a carnival, and there is a tall, thin man in a black suit. Can anyone help me out with name of that one?

Karen John wrote: "This one isn't in that edition of IAL, but if you like Matheson you have got to read his short story "The Distributor" ASAP."

I'm kinda new to the world of Matheson so thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.