The Book Challenge discussion

n-z > Variety is the Spice of Life - Genres Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (last edited Aug 04, 2009 05:51PM) (new)

Liz | 11 comments I loved the idea of the Variety is the Spice of Life challenge! That challenge is almost a year old already so its a bit late to tackle that one. So, this challenge is to read one book from each of the genres listed under find books as of today. The rules are the same as the original 'Variety is the Spice of Life' Challenge. For genres you read regularly, branch out into a new sub-genre!

Rules:
1. Each book can only satisfy one requirement.
2. Only one book per author. The idea is to branch out after all.

Genres:
Art
Biography
Chick-Lit
Children's
Classics
Comics
Contemporary
Cookbooks
Crime
Fantasy
Fiction
Graphic Novels
Historical Fiction
Historical
Manga
Memoir
Music
Mystery
Non-fiction
Philosophy
Poetry - collection
Psychology
Religion
Romance
SciFi
Self-help
Spirituality
Travel
Young Adult

I'm off to explore books to read!

message 2: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 43 comments Liz wrote: "That challenge is almost a year old already so its a bit late to tackle that one."

It is not as though it expired. ;-)

Your challenge is a neat idea. I hope it proves as fun as it looks.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments hmmm . . . perhaps I'll try to combine the two ;). It will make identifying the books more of a challenge :)

message 4: by Liz (last edited Nov 15, 2009 12:36PM) (new)

Liz | 11 comments These are the books I plan to read to meet the challenge. I'm also going to read a collection of short stories so that I will also meet Greyweather's challenge :). It was a lot of fun looking for books and this list will definitely stretch my horizons.

Genres:
DONE. 8/?? Art: Griffin & Sabine - An Extraordinary Correspondence 8/6 - Delightful! I've added the remaining books in this series to my read list!
Griffin & Sabine - An Extraordinary Correspondence by Nick Bantock

IN PROGRESS: Biography: Truman
Truman by David McCullough
Decided to read No Ordinary Time Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt The Home Front in World War II instead. In progress and I LOVE it so far. I still plan to read Truman perhaps after No Ordinary Time.
No Ordinary Time Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin

DONE!: Chick-Lit: Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office This book has slipped in the review since I chose it first. Instead Remember Me?
Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

Children's: The BFG
The BFG (Puffin Fiction) by Roald Dahl
Probably The Graveyard instead
The Graveyard Book opps, YA not children's

Classics: Jane Eyre, opps I have already read this. Need to find a different Classic.
Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics) by Charlotte Brontë

Comics: Watchmen
Watchmen by Alan Moore

Contemporary: The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Cookbooks: Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
Everyday Italian 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes by Giada De Laurentiis

Crime: The Big Sleep
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Fantasy: TBD

Fiction: A Farewell to Arms
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Graphic Novels: Blankets
Blankets by Craig Thompson

Historical Fiction: The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

DONE! 8/28 Historical: The Wordy Shipmates
The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell (Non-fiction)

Manga: Death Note, Volume 1
Death Note, Volume 1 Boredom by Tsugumi Ohba

Memoir: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Music: What to Listen for in Music
What to Listen for in Music by Aaron Copland

DONE! Mystery: Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15)
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich

IN PROGRESS: Non-fiction: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim Instead: THE VICE - ADMIRALTY COURTS AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
THE VICE - ADMIRALTY COURTS AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Carl Ubbelohde

Philosophy: Tao Te Ching
Tao Te Ching, 25th-Anniversary Edition (Mandarin_chinese Edition)  by Laozi

Poetry - collection: The Dream Songs
The Dream Songs by John Berryman

IN PROGRESS: Psychology: Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience Instead: Letting Go!
[image error]

Religion: A Border Passage: From Cairo to America--A Woman's Journey
A Border Passage From Cairo to America--A Woman's Journey by Leila Ahmed

DONE! Romance: Bet Me
[image error]

SciFi: Snow Crash
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Self-help: The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert by John Gottman

Spirituality: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle This sounds a little too much like The Power of Yes made fun of in a movie we viewed recently. Hmmm . . . any suggestions?

Travel: China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power
China Road A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power by Rob Gifford

DONE! Young Adult: Twilight
Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

Very few of these had been on my reading list but I'm now looking forward to reading them all!

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments Liz wrote: "These are the books I plan to read to meet the challenge. I'm also going to read a collection of short stories so that I will also meet Greyweather's challenge :). "

Ok, just finished Twilight and I can honestly say that the Fantasy genre is not for me . . . Well, with the exception of Harry Potter. I didn't realize Twilight was a young adult book as well. But in keeping with the theme of variety, I still plan to read a Young Adult book. Either The Westing Game or The Graveyard Book. The quetion is, which is the bigger variety challenge? :)

message 6: by Greyweather (last edited Sep 13, 2009 06:41AM) (new)

Greyweather | 43 comments Liz wrote: "Ok, just finished Twilight and I can honestly say that the Fantasy genre is not for me . . ."

Twilight is part of a small sub-genre of fantasy, that of paranormal romance, YA paranormal romance at that. I humbly ask that the fantasy genre not be judged by Meyer's standard any more than she should be considered representative of romance novelists.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments Greyweather wrote: "Liz wrote: "Ok, just finished Twilight and I can honestly say that the Fantasy genre is not for me . . ."

Twilight is part of a small sub-genre of fantasy, that of paranormal romance, YA paranorma..."

hahahaha! Point well taken :). I should have researched further when making my selections. I didn't realize Twilight was YA when I selected it. I'm going to count it as my YA genre . . . Any recos for great fantasy?

message 8: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 43 comments Since you like Potter I would look at The Golden Compass (also YA but it is top-tier) or A Wizard of Earthsea.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments The Golden Compass it is! After reading the reviews I decided to go for the one that is more different. The Golden Compass is also one of my son's favorites. Maybe I'll get him the The Earthsea Trilogy A Wizard of Earthsea; The Tombs of Atuan; The Farthest Shore for Christmas.
Thanks

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) I think this is a great idea for a challenge. I may probably intergrate this into my challenges next year, bet that should be fun.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments Liz wrote: "I think this is a great idea for a challenge. I may probably intergrate this into my challenges next year, bet that should be fun."

It is fun. I'm selecting a much wider variety of books this way!

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments Variety is the Spice of Life, Genres update

DONE! Mystery: Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15)
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich
I've read all the books in this series so not so much of a stretch. But, I like mysteries so nothing in this category would be a stretch :)

Currently reading:

Non-fiction: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim Instead: THE VICE - ADMIRALTY COURTS AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. Interesting cut on the effect of the Admiralty Courts on the American Revolution.
THE VICE - ADMIRALTY COURTS AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Carl Ubbelohde

Biography: Truman
Truman by David McCullough
Decided to read No Ordinary Time Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt The Home Front in World War II instead. In progress and I LOVE it so far. I still plan to read Truman perhaps after No Ordinary Time.
No Ordinary Time Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin

I'll probably start the chick-lit genre next . . . something quick and light :)

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments Just finished Remember Me? as the Chick-lit book. Light, quick read. On to something a bit more intense . . . I think I'll read A Farewell to Arms next as either my Fiction genre or Classics genre.
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella