COOKIES! discussion

Recipes > non-baked goods

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 530 comments Mod
I thought a place for non-baked goods was a good idea, since some of us may have an odd idea or two that won't fit in the regular confines.

For example:

SPAGHETTI TACOS

Hard shells (how many you like,I recomend the kind that have flat bottoms (a.k.a stand and stuff)

Spaghetti (left over is fine)

Sauce, the same

Now, I don't eat meat, but Narz does and we found that meatballs are problematic. You may have to cut them up or make a meat sauce instead.

Cook your pasta the way you like it. Then, if you like, mix with sauce or put pasta in baked shells then top with sauce and cheese.

Eat. Enjoy!

message 2: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

CANDY CORN PARTY MIX

Take one standard* bag of candy corn and mix with one standard jar of dry roasted peanuts. Enjoy.

Really good with chocolate candy corn.

*By standard, I mean the size you find in the grocery or drug store, not a whole sale club.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Knox | 1 comments I'll add something soon. First, I want to try spaghetti tacos.

I'd try the other one, but I'm allergic to nuts. I love the sweet/salty mix though. Maybe I can substitute popcorn for peanuts...

message 4: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

This recipe was always one of my favorite's from when I was a kid. My uncle Hugh made this for special family gatherings when he would make his famous and massive chef's salad. As I understand it, this came from a restaurant that was at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport back in the late 60' and early 70's or so.

I know some of you are going to freak out over the oil, sour cream and the egg. I have not had this since I was 10 because it makes so much, but if any of you wish to experiment with low fat or fat free sour cream, please let me know how it is. As far as oil is concerned, the orginal recipe calls for salad oil, so I believe that canola, safflower, sunflower or very light olive oil should work. If you are worried about the raw egg, use a pasturized one. I am not sure about egg substiutes. That too would be open to experimentation. For those of you who make mayonaise, this is very similar. Yes, you can use a food processor.

ONE WORLD DRESSING

1 egg, room temp.

1 1/2c oil, room temp.

1/4 tsp. steak sauce

1/2 clove garlic, minced

dash of garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

dash tabasco

2 TBLSP grated parmesean cheese

Beat egg unitl light and fluffy. While beating, slowly beat in oil, waiting for oil to absorb before adding more. If the oil hangs on top, stop adding oil, beating until combined, them resume adding in the oil. When all the oil is incorporated, beat in the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese. When mixture is smooth, fold in cheese.

Store covered in the frige.

Makes 4 c.

message 5: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

This is something that my Aunt Barbara used to make for family gatherings. It really is better the next day, so do try to make it ahead, and yes you can use low-fat or fat-free if you wish.

DILL DIP

2/3 c sour cream

2/3 c Miracle Whip or Spinblend (DO NOT USE MAYO!)

3 tsp. onion powder

1 TBLSP. dried parsley

1 TBLSP. dried dill

1/2 TBLSP. MSG*

1/2 TBLSP. Worstchestershire Sauce

1/2 tsp. celery salt

1 tsp. season salt

2-3 dashes Tobasco sauce

Stir everything together. Frige at least 2 hours, better overnight.

*If you are worried about MSG, by all means reduce the amount to leave it out, and increase your season salt to 2 tsp. and the celery salt to 1 tsp. Adjust after being in fridge 2 hours.

message 6: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Jul 22, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

This is a crowd pleaser that I developed for taking with me when the kids I watch need a snack to share. It's adjustable to group size and food allergies.

MY TRAIL MIX

1 standard size bag Rainbow Goldfish Crackers, Whole Grain or Cheddar (mix it up if you like) (Do NOT use flavor blasted)

1 standared size bag Pretzel Goldfish Crackers

1 medium bag of M&M's, I use dark chocolate, but feel free to use orginal ones if you like

1 1lb. jar of dry roasted peanuts*, half of the jar.

Mix everything into a large bowl or the container you will be taking with you. That's it. I usualy put it my travel container and gently shake to mix.

*You can leave the nuts out, use peanut M&M's, or even use golded raisins instead or in addition to the nuts. Just add half of the nuts and make up the rest in raisins.

message 7: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Jun 12, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

I make this in a small dish when I want something different for the occassional times I want a chip dip.

I make this in a small bowl using tablespoons of sour cream and teaspoons of horseradish, and dashes of the spices, so if you don't want a lot, it can be made to order. The bowl I use is a mise en place size, which roughly holds a 1/4 c. total.

HORSERADISH DIP/SAUCE

1 C. Sour Cream (any kind will work

1/4c prepared horseradish sauce (the kind in the squeeze bottle. You can use grated, just use 4 TBLSP or so.) More or less to taste.

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes, crush in hand before adding.

Mix everything together in a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes, then taste. Adjust seasonings if need be. If this is too spicy, you can add more sour cream by 1 tsp. at a time, or if it's not spicy enough, you can add more horseradish.

Fidge overnight for best flavor.

Good for veggie dip, chips, baked potatoes, served on steak*, or mixed into mashed potatoes.

*I don't eat meat, but I am told this is a lot like the sauce some places put on prime rib.

message 8: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Oct 21, 2010 07:56AM) (new)

TRAVELER'S CHICKEN

This made the rounds at church years ago, but it is still one of our go-to meals for large groups and special occasions. I have made this for dinner parties and pot-luck. It is flexible to the number of people you are making it for. You can make it up to the point of the broth and freeze the entire dish. Just add the broth before baking. This is a great dish to take to new moms, people in grief,or as a thank you. I just take the broth, a bag of noodles and the recipe to whomever.

Pre-heat 375

6 boneless, skinless breasts (Or more or less as you need) cut into bite sized pieces.

1 can fine UNSEASONED Bread crumbs

3 eggs- beaten

1 small can mushrooms, drained. (You may use fresh, just slice them on the thin side.)*

1 10 (or so) bag each of mozzarella cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese, shredded.

1 1/2 c. chicken broth

In a large container with a lid,fill with enough cold water to cover chicken. Pour in enough salt to make it taste like the ocean. Put chicken in the water. Place in fridge and soak for 2 hours. Drain. Beat eggs and pour over chicken. Replace lid and shake. Put back in fridge over night.

In a large skillet (I use an electric one set at 300-350) other wise use medium to medium high heat.Put 2 TBLSP. of olive oil and 1 TBLSP. of butter for each batch into the pan. I use a large zip-lock bag, pouring in some bread crumbs, then some chicken, more crumbs,seal and shake. When your oil is ready, put in the breaded chicken. You don't have to cook it through, but you want it browned. Remove to a plate covered in a paper towel. Repeat the previous steps until all the chicken is breaded and browned.

Place drained chicken into a 13x9 pan, sprinkle with mushrooms and cheeses. Pour on broth. Cover with foil.** Bake for 20 minutes at 375, uncover and cook another 15.

Serve over noodles, rice or pasta.

*Optional, I leave them out for large groups and serve them on the side or I make a smaller one with out.

**At this point,you can refrigerate this and cook it later. Just be sure to cook 30 minutes with the cover.

message 9: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

POLLY'S POTATOES

This is a dish that made the church rounds as well and is named after the woman who introduced them to us.

1 2 lb. bag of CUBED hashbrown potatoes

3 cans of creamed soup - cream of chicken, cream of celery and cream of potato (I find that this works with 2 celery and one potato)

8 oz. of sour cream

1/2tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. garlic powder

2 tsp. dill

1/4 -1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 10 oz bag of cheddar cheese

Mix everything but the cheese together in your largest bowl. Place in a 13x9 pan. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours at 325. In last 15 minutes, remove lid and add rest of the cheese. Bake uncovered so cheese may brown.

This can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking. Add an extra 20 minutes to the bake time.

message 10: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited May 03, 2014 07:14AM) (new)

TANGY POPPY SEED FRUIT SALAD

This is a real crowd pleaser that I found in a Dole add.

1 20 oz can pineapple chunks, drained, reserving 1/4 c. juice.

1 small can mandarin oranges, drained

1 kiwi, peeled, halved, sliced

1 c. red/green/or mixed grapes, halved

1 c. strawberries, quartered

DRESSING:

1/4c pineapple juice

2 TBLSP. lime juice

1 TBLSP honey

1 tsp. Poppy seeds

Mix together until honey is blended.

Mix the fruits together and toss with dressing.

message 11: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 59 comments yum.

message 12: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

The fruit salad is really good in the Summer-time and quite refreshing. I think it makes a good side-dish or desert and is picnic friendly. As for the chicken and the potatoes, well, let's just say they are get-together staples.

message 13: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 59 comments I don't/can't eat meat..... To tell the truth, it's been such a long time since I last ate chicken that I can't actually remember what it tasted like.

message 14: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I only eat chicken or turkey, sometimes canned tuna. I gave up red meat years ago because I didn't like it. I have made the fruit salad as a "self defense" dish for a pot luck. That way I know there is at least one thing I can eat.

message 15: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

COUS- COUS SALAD WITH CITRUS DRESSING

This can be served warm or cold.

1 box of cous-cous (I use Near East brand)

1 small to medium cucumber, peeled (if desired),cut length wise, seeded and diced. (If medium, use 1/2)

2 medium carrots or one small bag of pre-shredded carrots

1 bottle of your favorite citrus dressing or one recipe of homemade (to follow)

Make the cous-cous according to the box directions. ( I use chicken broth, lemon, and butter. Don't forget the salt! Feel free to use vegetable broth, but know it will have a pink color to your cous-cous). Cool so you can handle it.

When still warm, mix in cucumber and carrots. Add 1/4 of the bottled dressing or half of the homemade. If serving later, taste and add more dressing if needed.

Fridge leftovers.

HOMEMADE CITRUS DRESSING

1/3 c orange juice (strain out pulp is using bottled)

2 tsp. lemon and lime juice

1/2 c. olive oil

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. orange,lemon, and lime zests (optional)

Whisk well.

message 16: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

One of my Aunts gave us this years ago. It's so simple, we burned ourselves out on it. So it's been a while since we have thought about it. We call this "Stuff" since there is really no good name for it. It is very good and so easy. I prefer this with dry roasted peanuts, my mom with cocktail style (no skins), and it is good with honey roasted peanuts too. I just saw a new corn flake yesterday that was cinnamon flavored and I think that may be really good too. This a good way to use up that Karo syrup you may have around from making pecan pie.

STUFF

5 c. corn flakes

1 c. peanuts

1 c. small pretzel twists,thin sticks,or pieces

1 c. peanut butter (Do NOT use reduced fat)

1 c. Karo (corn) syrup

1 c. sugar

In a large bowl, combine dry. In a medium pan, bring syrup,sugar and peanut butter to a boil. Pour over dry. Mix well. Spread onto a cookie sheet until cool. Will be soft and sticky.

Store in air tight container between layers of waxed or parchment paper.

message 17: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

A woman who goes to the senior center with my grandma makes these and they are really clever.

GHOST LOLLIPOPS

Tootsie or Blow pops (you want larger than a Dum-dum, but not too big)

Tissues (yes, Kleenex. I would use a generic one for this since you are NOT going to blow your nose int these)

orange or black chenille stems, cut in half

1 black crayon or marker

Take one pop, drape with tissue and secure with chenille stem (twist on to form "neck"). Draw on eyes. If you want to add a message or use as a table place card, you can twist the ends of your stems again to hold what you need.

This is great to make a lot or a few and the kids can help!

message 18: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

This is a lovely fruit salad that is very refreshing in the summer. It goes over well as a side dish or desert and lends itself well to doubling. It is good for all dietary needs as it can be adjusted. Use fruits in their own juice for a healthier version.

LEMON FRUIT SALAD

1 20 oz. can pineapple, drained

1 can, standard size,fruit cocktail, drained

1 standard can mandarin oranges, NOT drained

1 4 oz pkg. instant lemon pudding*

Mix fruit in bowl. Sprinkle pudding on top. Mix. Cover and fridge overnight.

*Sugar free pudding mix is just fine to use.

message 19: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

This is a new idea on using pumpkin seeds from your Jack-O-Lantern. My mom used to roast them with salt. These sound really good. I found this in "Edible Cleveland" a free magazine in an article on using edible kitchen scraps.

CANDIED PUMPKIN SEEDS

To separate the seeds from the membrane, place them in a large bowl or sink. Fill with water. Seeds will float to the top. Then scoop them onto a towel in a single layer to air dry. Pat off the excess water before using.

2 TBSP. butter

2 TBSP. sugar

1 TBSP. brown sugar

1 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. paprika

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp. salt

1 c. raw pumpkin seeds

Melt butter in heavy skillet on medium heat. Stir sugars, spices and salt together, cooking and shaking the pan occasionally until the sugars are caramelized. Add the seeds, stirring occasionally until the seeds are coated,puff and turn golden, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to plate and cool. When hardened, break up brittle style.

Makes 1 c.