Edith Wharton discussion

"The Mother's Recompense"

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 01:07PM) (new)

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I just wanted to highly recommend to those of you who have not yet read Wharton's The Mother's Recompense that you do so! It is a wonderful novel that I just couldn't put down. I am attaching a copy of the review I wrote for the novel here too:

"What a hauntingly beautiful novel! One cannot help but empathize with poor Kate Clephane and the life she has lived. After many, many years, Kate re-enters her, now adult, daughter's life, and the New York society she fled so long ago. The problem is that times have changed, and Kate does not well understand the social mores of the new age, her daughter's age, and this contributes to the moral dilemma she encounters.

The Mother's Recompense is vintage Wharton, and like much of her work, this novel contains an intriguing plot twist that I shan't give away. In my opinion, this novel highlights Wharton's assessment of the stark differences between the late-Victorian and Edwardian Eras and the early period of the Roaring-Twenties and its impact upon American upper class society. This was a Wharton novel that I'd not yet read, and I'm so glad that I have now!"

I'd love to know what others thought of this book too. I hope you enjoy this novel as much as I did!

Cheers! Chris

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) Thanks for the recommendation!