Up and Coming Authors discussion

Archives (Past Group Reads) > About Christy Leigh Stewart and Familiar Scars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 150 comments Mod
Christy,

Please post a little about yourself and your novel under this thread.

Members can also post questions under this thread.

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Let me see...

My name is Christy Leigh Stewart which means Christian meadow of "You can take our land, but you can never take our freedom"

I've dedicated my life and my time to enjoying myself and that's as much of a full time job than even I can manage. On the side, I study the occult, write, and type foreign words into Google Image.

Familiar Scars by Christy Leigh Stewart

It's my first book, and it might seem like it when/if you read it.

It's about three orphans who are murdered one night and what becomes of the two who actually survived. It's a lot Victorian and a little romantic/funny/dramatic/morbid.

The book came from a sudden interest in historical fiction, my love of disfigurements, and a challenge from a friend of using the line 'Viewed from a distance, everything is beautiful'

The best part of the book is that it is short.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

I think that may be a new trend that would be welcomed: shorter books. I love reading, but the larger books intimidate me because I don't have the time to devote to them.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I used to only like long books because I felt like I was getting more for my money, but I've found lately that short novels can actually have much better stories sometimes.

I'm not sure why...Maybe because I hate slow plots and short novels can't afford to have one.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

More action, less gibber-gabber ;)

message 6: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Rose (sierrarose) | 35 comments Christy, I just read your preview (one of the first previews on Lulu I could actually read since they're usually so tiny) and found it fascinating.

Since you did a shorter novel, is it easier to write shorter novels these days than longer ones? Also, what made you choose the Victorian era?

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I get bored easily, even with my own writing so I have only been able to write short novels. Even if I had a lot more to write I tend to cut it off at about...150 pages or so. This is either saving my readers from a lot of useless story or I have a problem lol

I've been so taken with steampunk art lately and so Victorian images are in the forefront of my mind. I immersed myself in the art of it at the time I was writing this, so I had no other choice.

message 8: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Rose (sierrarose) | 35 comments No, I understand. I think that's why I always have up to seven stories started at one time so if I get bored with one I can go back to another.

From the preview I read, you really handle the Victorian age well. Must be to draw me in since I've never cared for Victorian things. Lulu and Paypal are giving me problems tonight but I am going to be reading your novel for sure.

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Thanks so much! I hope I don't turn you against the Victorian era too much lol

message 10: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Rose (sierrarose) | 35 comments Trying to read Victoria Holt books did that awhile back so if anything you may urge me to give the era a chance again.

message 11: by Svetlana (last edited Aug 04, 2009 08:15PM) (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna I am reading your book too. I read a first few pages preview and liked your writing style: short, "morbid" (compliment) and to the point.Promise not to haunt you too much about grammar(joke).

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Thank you Svetlana, I promise not to be scared of your haunting!

I will remember not to read Victoria Holt...

message 13: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Rose (sierrarose) | 35 comments Christy, I just got your book this evening and started it. I want to wait to finish until I can give it full attention.

message 14: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna I finished Christy's book and my review is written. I am just waiting for the discussion folder to be opened to post it. Still reading "Celtic Evil".

message 15: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Thanks for reading it you two, sorry again Svetlana lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Familiar Scars (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Christy Leigh Stewart (other topics)