Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Front Parlor > What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 8,663 (8663 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 173 174

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Tell us what you're reading! Doesn't have to be historical fiction of course...we're still interested, and will still probably add it to our TBR lists :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments I'm reading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, which is fantasy. I'm not really that far into it, but I'm very intrigued to say the least. It is quite a...departure from the norm.

message 3: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments I just started The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton... I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading City of Glass, the last installment of the Mortal Instruments Series and classified as YA fantasy.

I enjoyed this series, but this last book seems like it has a lot going on... probably because it is the last of the series and the author wants to fit everything in, but it can a little overwhelming... I just want to know how it ends!! :)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I'm currently reading Mistress of the Art of Death which I've been really looking forward to. I'm only about 50 pages into but enjoying it so far.

message 6: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments Heather wrote: "I'm currently reading Mistress of the Art of Death which I've been really looking forward to. I'm only about 50 pages into but enjoying it so far. "

oooo, I really want to read that!

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'm reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and I really like it. I can't explain what it is about Murakami I like. Explain what his books are about and they sound a little... bizarre and uninteresting. But they're not.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Natalee wrote: "Heather wrote: "I'm currently reading Mistress of the Art of Death which I've been really looking forward to. I'm only about 50 pages into but enjoying it so far. "

oooo, I really w..."

I'm really excited that I'm liking it, Natalee! I somehow or another got my hopes up for it, which can be dangerous you know, but luckily it hasn't disappointed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments is this your first time reading Harry Potter?

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments Yes Allison, this is my first time (I guess that makes me an HP virgin)! I read the first two a few years ago but I bought my husband the whole paperback set (minus the 7th since it just came out) for Christmas and he's been loving them so I decided it was time for me to get back to them. He's reading the 7th right now so I feel I should try to catch up to him so we can talk (we've seen all the movies but I heard the books are different)about them. By the way, do any of you have any suggestions for what to read that's similar to HP. My husband wants to read some things like HP once he finishes book 7.

message 12: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 02:48PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments The Percy Jackson series gets compared to HP A LOT. It starts with The Lightning Thief. A movie for it is actually coming out in early 2010. They are classified juvenile fiction, and written for a youngish audience...but really, once you get into it you won't notice. They are awesome! There are 5 books in the series, and they are all released. The 5th was released earlier this year.

Anyway, it was a WT group read, so you've probably heard of it.

I also have to recommend my very favorite book of all time, The Name of the Wind. It is adult fantasy, the first of a trilogy (other two books yet to be released). It is absolutely brilliant, I can't rave about it enough. The trilogy is supposed to chronicle the life of Kvothe, the main character. The first book is him as a child and then growing up and attending a university. Your hubby (and you of course!) should definitely check it out!

message 13: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 02:45PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments and Beth, I'm so excited for you! HP are some of my favorites, I really hope you love them :)

message 14: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) I am going to finish I Capture the Castle tonight when the boys (hubby and son) are at scouts...the girls usually leave me alone on Tuesday nights so I know I'll have time to finish it. Then I'm going to start the Dead Until Dark.

Beth I need to finish the Harry Potter series too...I have only read up to the 4th book.

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3734 comments Mod
Oh, I wish that I could read Harry Potter again for the first time! I am so jealous! I hope you love them!

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments Thanks everyone, I'm excited for HP too! And Becky, I know all about being jealous over someone reading something for the first time. That's exactly the way I felt when my husband finally read The Book Thief! Allison, I bought The Lightening Thief when it was the WT group read so I'll give that to my hubby when he's finished with HP. Thanks for the recs! Lisa, I kind of wish our scouts lasted through the summer. I kind of miss having Wednesday nights to myself, LOL (except when the meetings were at our house. Ugh!)

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments I am reading Ines of My Soul A Novel and Mistress of the Art of Death. I have to admit Mistress of the Art of Death is holding my attention more, it is very hard to put down.

message 18: by Felina (last edited Aug 05, 2009 08:24AM) (new)

Felina | 612 comments Becky wrote: "Oh, I wish that I could read Harry Potter again for the first time! I am so jealous! I hope you love them!"

I agree SO much. The HP books are by far my favorite books and right now I am trying to get my best friend to read them (hopefully before the first of the Deathly Hallows comes out so she'll go at midnight and dress up with me) because I want to be excited with someone about it because I'm always excited alone. I've read the series 13 times through. I'm the ultimate HP nerd.

Beth - I LOVE The Book Thief. I just finished it for Cynthia's Challenge a week ago. I can't recommend it enough.

Allison - Don't worry...I have officially put The Name of the Wind in my TBR. Fantasy is my first love.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Donna wrote: "I am reading Ines of My Soul A Novel and Mistress of the Art of Death. I have to admit Mistress of the Art of Death is holding my attention more, it is very hard to put down."

Donna, I'm having a hard time putting down Mistress of the Art of Death too! I had to force myself to stop reading last night so I could get to bed. I picked it back up this morning, as soon as I had my coffee ready, and read for a bit. How far along are you? I'm on page 131.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Lisa & Beth, my 8 year old son is starting scouts this fall. He's really excited about it. I don't really know what to expect...I've heard that it's pretty time consuming for the parents as well. Do you guys find that to be true?

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments Hi Heather, I'm a bit further along, around pg 200, and I have not lost interest. I am looking forward to some more quality reading time tonight.

message 22: by Felina (last edited Aug 05, 2009 09:16AM) (new)

Felina | 612 comments Heather - The "Poof! I'm a mod." is hilarious. Just thought you should know.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Donna wrote: "Hi Heather, I'm a bit further along, around pg 200, and I have not lost interest. I am looking forward to some more quality reading time tonight."

Me too :)

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Felina wrote: "Heather - The "Poof! I'm a mod." is hilarious. Just thought you should know."

Haha! Thanks, Felina :) That title was bestowed on me courtesy the Head Honcho, Becky. I love it!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Felina if you love fantasy...we're going to get along great! :) I know you'll love Name of the Wind.

message 26: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments Ok, first of all, don't kick me out of the cool kids club buuuuuuut... I have NEVER EVER been interested in Harry Potter. I know, I know... WHAT!?!?!? However, I have to say over the past month or so, they keep calling my name. "Nataleeeeeeeeee". I have no idea why but lately I just really want to read them.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments you should give them a try Natalee, even if fantasy isn't your thing :)

If this was a FANTASY club...I'd probably kick you out. But since its not, I'll forgive you.

(kidding of course)

(but really....you better like them, or else.)

message 28: by Felina (last edited Aug 05, 2009 09:52AM) (new)

Felina | 612 comments Natalee - Have you tried reading them and couldn't get into it or it just never sounded interesting? Cause I've never met anybody who started reading them who didn't completely love them.

Besides, I think its the character development that makes these books so intense and loveable not their genre.

message 29: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments Allison wrote: "you should give them a try Natalee, even if fantasy isn't your thing :)

If this was a FANTASY club...I'd probably kick you out. But since its not, I'll forgive you.

Ok, Ok... don't get hostile. You're hurting my arm.
:-D
I think I will give them a shot in a month or so. When I do, we can discuss in WTYA group. :-)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments sounds good to me ;)

message 31: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I'm reading the last book of Stieg Larsson's Millennium series, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. Not historical but mystery/crime which is not really my genre but I really like the series. Only a quarter of the book left. I'm sad there won't be more.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Where do you live? Is it an English translation?

I would kill to get my hands on that.

message 33: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Allison,

I live in Finland so it's the Finnish translation. I guess it's easier to get a translation from Finland because the author was Swedish. I'm so sorry the English-speaking world is behind on this awesome trilogy.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments me too! hehe. The second book just came out last week. Sheesh.

message 35: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I see you really liked the first two. I actually was a bit frustrated with the second book but I'm loving the third. Any idea when the third book will be released?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Susanna wrote: "I see you really liked the first two. I actually was a bit frustrated with the second book but I'm loving the third. Any idea when the third book will be released?"

2010 here in America, but in the UK it'll be released in October, so if I really feel desperate I can order from Amazon's UK site.

message 37: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) 2010, WOW. That is just insane. :/

message 38: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) My next read is going to be the second book, The Girl Who Played with Fire. Really enjoyed the first book -- impressive for a first novel especially. I'm excited to learn more about Lisbeth.

Anyway, I'm currently reading a mystery novel, New Tricks.

message 39: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) 2010? I don't think I could wait until then! I mean, when 2010 and why does it take so long? I thought waiting till October was bad enough. 2 months to go - actually I think isn't it the endy bit of October so 3? Oh no... :(((

Do you think I can learn Swedish before then?

message 40: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife now for TNBBC August book read. Just started it last night but its pretty good so far.

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments Felina wrote: "I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife now for TNBBC August book read. Just started it last night but its pretty good so far."

Me too and also for TNBBC group read. I'm on page 380-something and loving it!

message 42: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments Jennifer wrote: "Felina wrote: "I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife now for TNBBC August book read. Just started it last night but its pretty good so far."

Me too and also for TNBBC group read. I'm..."

oh your killing me. I'm on page....wait for it...here it comes....17.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments Felina wrote: oh your killing me. I'm on page....wait for it...here it comes....17"

LOL My favorite chapter so far is in over 300 pages so keep going :)

I'm trying to read 2 other books right now but I'm not getting very far in those because all I want to do is keep reading TTTW.

message 44: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments I understand Jennifer. I can't read one book at a time because I don't want to limit myself. But sometimes an awesome book comes along and you forget about the other ones. I'm happy that TTTW is that good. I'd love to ignore my other books.

message 45: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Sort of historical fiction, yay! The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna; Finnish troops during the Continuation War.

message 46: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 07, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments I've started Skeletons at the Feast, its pretty good so far...a WWII story.

message 47: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments Um yeah Jennifer...I'm about 100 pages into it now and this book is amazing. I'm falling in love with Henry.

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 63 comments I'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn & Girls in Pants (I know. no HF, but I'll look for some soon)

message 49: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Finally started reading The Girl Who Played with Fire. Can't wait to learn more of Lisbeth's past.

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments I'm reading 3 right now -
Edward VI The Lost King of England Chris Skidmore (non-fiction)
The Prince and the Pauper Mark Twain (classic)
Voyager Diana Gabaldon (fantasy/historical fiction)

:D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 173 174
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.