Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's July

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments 1. The Way Home, George Pelecanos. Pelecanos is a very good writer, but he just doesn't light my fire.

2. Night Walker, P.T. Deutermann. He does come up with some pretty original plots, and I enjoy he returning characters.

3. Turn Coat, Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden entertains as usual. A consistent series for me.

4. Borderline, Nevada Barr. Babies and politicians are two of my "least interested in" subjects, but Big Bend Park and rafting on the Rio Grande were interesting.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Pelecanos just really appeals to me for some reason. I guess I like observing the seamier side of life from the safety of a book! And I love Harry Dresden, too!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14206 comments Dan:
I have mixed reactions to Pelecanos' books. I have absolutely loved some of them. I am beginning to think the library was kidding when they listed The Way Home as on order.

Daniel wrote: "1. The Way Home, George Pelecanos. Pelecanos is a very good writer, but he just doesn't light my fire...."

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2942 comments Given your background Dan, I can see where Pelecanos gritty urban reality, as seen through the eyes of a social worker, might differ from your experiences. I do enjoy most of his books, but understand that he looks at the world through a slightly different lens than I. I have the opposite reaction in Technothrillers, where they idolize and glorify military life and ethos.

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments 3. Turn Coat, Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden entertains as usual. A consistent series for me.

I just wish he would write a little faster. I have enjoyed every one of these books. I was sorry when they cancelled the tv series. It didn't start out great but, I thought it got better each week

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "3. Turn Coat, Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden entertains as usual. A consistent series for me.

I just wish he would write a little faster. I have enjoyed every one of these books. I was sorry when..."

My husband liked the show. I just could never get into it because it was so far off the books. I wish he'd write faster, too. Maybe that's why I'm always willing to shell out for an anthology that has a Harry story in it!

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments He does write another scifi/fantasy series that is up to book 5 (I think) The first one was The Furies of Calderon

message 8: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Cheryl wrote: "He does write another scifi/fantasy series that is up to book 5 (I think) The first one was The Furies of Calderon "

I tried the first book and just couldn't get into it.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Barry wrote: "Given your background Dan, I can see where Pelecanos gritty urban reality, as seen through the eyes of a social worker, might differ from your experiences.

I guess I just get tired of everything being an "unfortunate occurrence" or a "angst inducing moment" when we all know that the vast majority of offenders are NOT sympathetic characters, but really are dirtbags who never look back at what they've done to harm others and couldn't begin to care less. All this worry over the poor offender serves to further degrade the real victims in these crimes. When is the last time you heard of one of the Hollywood elite coming to the aid of a victim? No, they'd rather glorify the Hurricane Carters of the world. Makes me sick. (Jumping off the soap box now).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Way Home (other topics)