Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Thorn Queen - Spoilers!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished it yesterday and I loved it.
I am soooo glad that Eugenie and Dorian are finally getting together. I totally swooned when he killed Leith for her. Kiyo is such a wuss and soooo self-centered. No foreplay? seriously? What a jerk.

I can't wait to hear what you guys thought!

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (hnybee411) Loved this book! I've read the part where Dorian killed Leith like five times. Read it to my husband and my mom.
Just that simple "I can."
I was going "Yes, Dorian!!"

I'm so glad they're together too. Hopefully it will stay that way. I never have cared much for Kiyo. Dorian's biggest fault is that he always tells Eugenie the truth, even when she really doesn't want to hear it. I always thought he cared more about her than Kiyo though.

Okay, I guess I'm writing my own book here, I just really loved this book though. (You know, in case you couldn't tell)

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I hope that if she gets pregnant that its a girl :P

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yeah. Dorian has cared more about her and done more for her from the very beginning. Plus their sex is way better too.
Agreed Kyle!

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I'll admit the whole getting tied up thing? very hot :P even if that was in storm born :P

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

haha yes indeed

message 7: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Just finished it and I LOVED it.

Kiyo has never been my preference. I've loved Doriand from the start. For all his ulterior motives (which he's blatant about), Dorian's just the better match. Like he said, to be monarch, you must be loving and ruthless all at once, and he demonstrated both those qualities with one sword-thrust. A strong queen needs those very same qualities in her lover/confidant/advisor, and Dorian more than lives up to expectations.

Had Eugenie stayed a lil human shaman, Kiyo might have been good for her. But she's so much more now and he's just not capable of supporting her.

That said...MAKE AMENDS? I was yelling as though he were in the room with me. Make amends..."Oh, Katrice, I'm so sorry your son raped me repeatedly and you tried to kidnap me. Here, have a cookie."

Ugh. Disgusting.

I also yelled when Dorian killed that whimpering Rowan psycho slimeball, but it was shouts of joy, adoration and a lot of thank you, my lord.

Even Roland was on the verge of killing Leith. But Kiyo wants to make nice. I agreed that in that moment he failed as her protector.

Dorian and the ropes in Storm Born..hot. Dorian here...hot for such deeper reasons. I dog-eared every page with him on it. Couldn't help myself. His declaration when they were drunk was particularly superb. As was the "nothing" that happened in the village.

Anyone notice how the "too soon" comment toward the end mirrored her sex convo with Kiyo in the beginning?

How crazy is it that Jasmine is now willing to help her, even short-term? I wonder if Eugenie will ever fully talk sense into the girl.

Ysabel is going to be an issue later, isn't she? Sigh. Here's hoping SHE doesn't turn up pregnant!

And I feel there will be more to this metal-worker than meets the eye. Anyone else feel that way?

message 8: by Kathy (last edited Aug 05, 2009 06:54AM) (new)

Kathy  (hnybee411) Okay, don't even talk about ysabel getting pregnant. That would suck. She did say she has children though didn't she. Damn it. Now I'm going to be thinking about that.

Oh, and the metal worker will definitely play into it some how. He's got a trick or two up his sleeve I think.

And did anyone else wish they could have been a fly on the wall when Dorian found out she'd broken up with Kiyo?

message 9: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Dorian knew E & K's relationship was doomed the moment he told Kiyo he should've killed Leith. I know I certainly saw it coming! And damn skippy, too.

I'd like to see what Dorian does to Kiyo the NEXT time he sees him! If Dorian thought Kiyo wasn't worthy of Eugenie before...

I loved Dorian even more seeing how he understood her throughout the book, especially her need for physical distance, and letting her take the lead. Even his silence in Art's house as the wind raged around them and he just waited to see what Eugenie wanted to do.

That wench Ysabel. It would be just like Mead to put another obstacle in her heroine's way! Can't one thing go right!

That said, I don't think it'd have as much impact as Kiyo's kid did. I don't think Dorian would be absentee, but he IS a king. And he's just so good about knowing exactly how to handle everything.

message 10: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) "I loved Dorian even more seeing how he understood her throughout the book, especially her need for physical distance, and letting her take the lead. Even his silence in Art's house as the wind raged around them and he just waited to see what Eugenie wanted to do."

As the STORM QUEEN. I read over that like 10x before I realized waht she had said I was like 'fuck yeah!' lol

message 11: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments I know! And she totally denies it to Kiyo.

I was so cheering her on in that moment to crush Leith as Storm Queen. And when Kiyo deterred her I was furious!

I was thrilled by the end when she accepted the crown, and Dorian. She's undergone so many changes in such a short period.

I don't own Storm Born, and I'm trying desperately to remember all the details of the vision she had in Underworld. The one with her Dorian and baby on the hillside, surveying their troops.

What other details were there to that vision?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

She had on Storm King's crown in the vision. That's all I remember.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok here's the passage. It's in Chapter 27 of Storm Born.

Instantly, I no longer stood in the chamber. I was on a high, cragged peak, overlooking vast sweeping plains. The sky was dark and heavy with clouds, and lightning danced among them. Below, on the plains, armies stretched as far as the eye could see. Armies of gentry and spirits and the myriad creatures living in the Otherworld. The crown felt heavy on my head yet did a poor job of holding down my hair as the wind whipped it around. A gown of indigo velvet embraced my body, and a black and silver fur cloak draped my shoulders. In my left hand, I held my wand, and in the crook of my other arm, I held a baby.

It was wrapped up in white blankets, its eyes closed. A fine haze of hair, its color indistinct, swept over its head. I had no idea who its father was—I didn’t even know if it was a boy or girl—but some instinctual part of me knew it was mine. Tentatively, I reached out with my fingers and touched that fine hair. It felt like down, like the softest, finest silk imaginable. The baby stirred slightly at the touch, snuggling against me, and something inside of me stirred as well.

I jumped as a hand encircled my waist, and a warm body moved next to mine. Dorian. A sword hung at his side, and a new crown sat on his head, more elaborate than his former circle of leaves. It was made of thick gold, heavy with jewels and dazzling to behold. But it wasn’t as big as mine.

“They’re waiting for your order,” he said.

I followed his gaze out to the fields of people and saw that they were all on their knees before me, heads touching the earth. Above them, thunder rumbled as the storm swirled restlessly.

“I don’t know what to do,” I told him.

“What you have to do.”

As though moving of its own accord, the hand holding my wand rose into the air. The armies rose with it, like I was a puppeteer pulling marionettes to life. A great roar sounded among them, swords banging on shields and magic flaring in salute. One downward motion, and I knew they would march. One motion from me, and I would unleash hell itself. The roar intensified. Dorian’s body shifted closer. The baby stirred again.

My hand felt heavy and started to fall….

message 14: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Thank you, Jan!!

So, different crowns, baby, huge army, storm magic flaring...

Well, even though Eugenie's crown is different from the delicate gold, so is Dorian's--much grander than the one he has now. Perhaps an indication of increased power and lands?

And he's deferring to Eugenie, saying the army is waiting for her. He's doing the same thing in Thorn Queen, telling her he'll be by her side but that she'll be the ruler at the forefront.

So since it seems by the end of Thorn Queen things are already falling into place to make that vision a reality, do you think it was still just a vision, or actually a foretelling?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's a vision that has the potential to come true depending on the choices Eugenie makes along the road.

message 16: by Amelia (last edited Aug 06, 2009 02:25AM) (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Oh....My ....GOD!

I LOVED this book!

Michelle, our brainwaves are at it again! lol

I was annoyed with Kiyo from the start. I mean no foreplay? Not even letting her get off before he did? Forcing her to be around his new baby and baby mama and constantly lecturing her on being jealous!? WTF did he expect her to be!? My God!

The way he ALWAYS wants her to shy away from her power! UGH! Like she said it's a part of her! She can't just leave it. It's always going to be there! Just like she belongs in the Thorn Land too.
It's like he doesn't want her to be powerful and independent for herself! Bullshit!

The moment he tried to stop her from killing Leith, I was sooooo pissed! I was like WHAT is wrong with you!? That scum just raped the woman your supposedly in love with! How was he going to just stand their and be like ... Oh well we can put him in prison I guess. UGH!!!!! Then the whole bit about making amends!? OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! I really wanted Dorian to just run him through with his sword along with Leith! Again. The guy raped the woman your in love with and you want her to go apologize to the guy's mom, who was in on the whole thing, that he got killed for it!? WTF is wrong with him!? I would have ended it right there with a punch to the face!

I LOVE Dorian! He is so hilarious but his feelings for her really came through in this book. He really does love her. I cheered when he killed Leith! (complete with fist pump) I just worry that with all of the politics and Eugenie not wanting to have all these lands and to be conquering things might cause some big issues between them.

Ysabel. UGH! Skank nasty! I thought she might end up preggo too! MAAAAAANNNNN I just wanted someone to smack the crazy out of her! Seriously.

Jasmine.... I think she is going to cause some problems. I figured she'd be on Eugenie's side after the rape but I think she really is going to try and take over the Rowan Land and start some serious shit! Girl needs to grow up and realize it isn't some game! She'd have real people to take care of in her land. She wouldn't just be pampered 24/7 without responsibilities! Brat.

Yea something is up with the metal worker.... He's just too smooth.

I'm wondering if Maiwinn (sp?) will side with anyone in the war? I wonder if Kiyo is going to go back to their romantic relationship? Hmpf!

Sooooooo now that I've ranted... lol

message 17: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Lol.

You know, I started to compare them and sort of got carried away. I don't doubt that they both love her, but:

Kiyo
- Holds her back: magic, crown, authority, calls her regent instead of Queen
- Makes her doubt herself: shouldn't be involved in Faerie, shouldn't learn magic
- Tries to keep her human
- Maiwenn & baby complication = jealousy, longing, regret, lost time
- Understands being of two worlds, but doesn't understand what it is to be a leader

Dorian
- A good leader who can advise her on running her kingdom
- Understands her way of thinking
- Encourages her: politically, magically
- Offers his services and makes advantageous trade agreement
- Thinks of her as Queen and has faith in her as a monarch
- Inspired by her to do good things too
- Shows up to offer comfort
- Wants her to take responsibility and follow what she knows is right
- Physically strong and magically powerful
- Gifts her with reliable household staff, guards
- Reassures her that SHE is enough, and that he'd gladly take her at any moment for the pleasure of being with her, for the rest of his life
- Will protect her, no matter what the circumstances or the repercussions to him

message 18: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Dorian:
- Wants to take over the human world with Eugenie's child
- has better sex scenes with the thorn queen
-his and eugenie's baby would be cuter :P

message 19: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Much better sex scenes. Kiyo was hot, but Dorian is scorching! And more versatile.

(lost in daydream)

Sigh.

There is the whole "conquer the human world" thang, but I feel Eugenie could talk him out of that if they expand their rule in Faerie.

I wonder if they'll ever come out to the humans though, Merry Gentry style...

message 20: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Michelle M. wrote: "Much better sex scenes. Kiyo was hot, but Dorian is scorching! And more versatile.

(lost in daydream)

Sigh.

There is the whole "conquer the human world" thang, but I feel Eugenie could ta..."

Theres a series I so BADLY wanted to get into but couldn't...Merry Gentry...I don't know why but she just didn't click with me.

message 21: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Michelle M. wrote: "Much better sex scenes. Kiyo was hot, but Dorian is scorching! And more versatile.

(lost in daydream)

Sigh.

There is the whole "conquer the human world" thang, but I feel Eugenie could ta..."

Theres a series I so BADLY wanted to get into but couldn't...Merry Gentry...I don't know why but she just didn't click with me.

message 22: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Kyle wrote: "Theres a series I so BADLY wanted to get into but couldn't...Merry Gentry...I don't know why but she just didn't click with me. ..."

Really? I actually preferred it to Anita if I have to compare them. I liked all the Fae politics.

Oh well!

In Merry, they are out in public, and the Fae royalty in particular are interviewed and photographed all the time--sort of like the Brit royals.

The comment about how the townspeople look at Eugenie and Dorian like celebrities on the red carpet made me think of it, and made me wonder if Mead will ever out them to the humans.

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I really liked this book and I also couldn't stand Kiyo. What a fcking wuss! He actaully wanted that stupid bastard put on trial? Seriously? I'm so glad Dorian took him out for Eugenie.

And no foreplay?? Jan I'm right there with you. That's ridiculous. Kiyo is selfish and wants everything his way. He wants Eugenie to be okay with him constantly leaving her so he could be with his ex-lover and their baby. What about what Eugenie wants? She just wants a little action lol. And he can't even give that to her.

I hope the next book features her with Dorian, and her learning more about her powers in the otherworld.

message 24: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Oh, Jess, I couldn't agree more on the Kiyo thing. I was so disgusted. And later he wanted her to run to the freak's mother and beg pardon?! Ugh. It makes me shudder in rage every time I think of it.

When Dorian killed that little bastard I screamed, "Thank you, Dorian."

Ugh. Kiyo lost all appeal.

And hello! Foreplay isn't merely a luxury! Fast and feverish is nice, but all the time? Oh, the chafing...

message 25: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I always liked dorian better, just saying :P

Plus, its 2 kingdoms vs. 1 I don't see why they would have to go grovel. Not to mention Dorian is the strongest king, magic wise, and then eugenie is the freaking storm king's daughter! I hope they cut that crazy bitch good lol

message 26: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Baby, I second that emotion.

And I just told someone Dorian had me at the first knot, so you know I'm all about lovin' that man.

Grrr, I can't wait for the next one!

message 27: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Kiyo is a bitch.

When he was trying to talk Eugenie into pleading with that Mother F$%&*#@'s mother I wanted to scream! He's supposed to be all dominant and male and he can't even satisfy or defend his woman. FUCK THAT!

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Wow, some good Kiyo bashin, which I totally agree with. Dorian has always been my favorite...he totally understands Eugenie.

message 29: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Amelia. You is in my head. No surprise there.

message 30: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Naturally. lol

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I agree with all of you!!!! There is NO competition between Kiyo and Dorian.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my favourite scenes would have to be when the Queen had the baby and Dorian showed up as Eug. was getting drunk with her staff. He just had to be there for her. And then he defends her in the end :D

Don't think we'll be seeing that much of Kiyo in the next book, unless she ends up fighting against him, or he dies trying to defend her, but I don't think he's man (or fox) enough to do that.

message 33: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Well, it's funny, because Kiyo was actually good in all the fights they've been in. He did die for her once already! I think that's why I was so completely shocked when he went with his political instincts rather than his protective ones when they found her.

I wonder if he'd have reacted differently if that happened to Maiwenn instead?

And the tequila circle was awesome! From Volusian's trip to get it through to Dorian & Eugenie in her room.

message 34: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments LMAO the tequila party was ridiculous. XD

EXACTLY Michelle! Kiyo choosing politics is the kind of shit he would accuse Dorina of doing! You know damn well he would've went ape ... or rather fox... if it had happened to Maiwenn! Fuck Kiyo's couch!

I bet he WILL be in the next book more than we want him to be! He'll probably go back to Maiwenn and Eugenie has to deal with the other royalty. Also Kiyo is obnoxious enough to try to get her bakc. HMPF!

message 35: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Fuck Kiyo's couch! Ha ha ha ha!

I'm Rick James, bitch.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think Kiyo is also going to try to get Eugenie back.. he wasn't that happy when she sent him packing. He'll definitely be in the book. But I hope that Eugenie is firmly with Dorian and Kiyo is just sort of on the fringe trying to get back in but not succeeding.

message 37: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments I would be seriously disappointed in both the character and the writer if Eugenie got back with Kiyo in some fashion. His lack of concern for what she went through was just appalling to me. I understand he wanted to prevent a war, but he didn't even acknowledge what Eugenie had gone through!

Kiyo couldn't support her in ANY area, apparently.

When you consider his fox tendencies, you'd think he would have at least reacted out of territorial instinct.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah, considering he has the mating habits of an animal.. why wouldn't he respond possessively when Eugenie was injured! Those two things don't match up with eachother.

message 39: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments It WAS sorta contradictory!

Even her dad was ready to do violence. Kiyo was so odd man out.

message 40: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments I'll say it again .... FUCK KIYO'S COUCH!

I will be beyond pissed if Eugenie ends up having anything remotely romantic going on with Kiyo in the next book. Let's list the reasons why it would be ridiculous...

1-Dorian
2-Kiyo doesn't let Eugenie get off half the time.
3-Dorian
4-No foreplay!?
5-Dorian
6-Baby mamma drama
7-Dorian
8-Rape shmape! Let's all be friends! ::pukes::
9-Dorian
10-Dorian
11-Dorian
12-Kiyo's a douche
13-Dorian
14-Kiyo tries to force Eugenie to surpress her powers.
15-Dorian
16-Kiyo makes Eugenie feel bad/dirty for having powers she was born with and can't really help at times.
17-Dorian
18-Kiyo is a big bag o docuhe and a hypocrite!
19-DORIAN

.... Yep pretty much covered it all I think ... feel free to add to this. :D

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments LOL LOVE THE LIST

message 42: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Um, you forgot to mention Dorian. And ropes.

And maybe Dorian.

Screw Kiyo's loveseat.

:p

message 43: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Damn! I knew I was missing something

20-25 DORIAN AND ROPES

message 44: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments NOW I deem it complete.

message 45: by Amanda (last edited Sep 18, 2009 06:21PM) (new)

Amanda Amelia-I agree!!!!!!!! Kiyo sucks! Dorian Rocks! I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one!!!! Dorian, Dorian, Dorian... **Sigh**

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG Amelia! LMAO! Love the list!

message 47: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments I'm very proud of this list. lol

message 48: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments As well you should be. It's quite accurate.

message 49: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 15 comments To Michelle-I stand corrected, screw team Kiyo! :) He failed Eugiene hardcore...ugh, and I really was holding out for him to prove himself, just maybe. Although hey, I can't get enough of Dorian, i just hope they make it official already and that she doesn't let Kiyo back in...unfortunately you know something like that will come about sooner or later.

Totally off topic, but did I miss something or is this just book error? On the cover of Storm Born, Eugiene's snake tattoo is clearly coiled around her right arm. On Thorn Queen's cover, it is on her left?

message 50: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments See, Desiree? Kiyo is an ass and Dorian is a dream. Didn't you scream in elation and feel so vindicated when he slew that little bastard? Wheeee!

I've said it before--I'll be disgusted with character and author if Kiyo were let back in. The character is much stronger than that! I mean, if I'M this furious with him and I'm just a reader, Eugenie should be permanently disgusted to the core.

The tattoo thing is an error I suppose. I noticed that too!

« previous 1 3