UK Book Club discussion

Your Reading Experience > Book Websites

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
Are there any sites other than Goodreads.com which you use to discover new books?

message 2: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Other than readitswapit.co.uk which I mainly just use for swapping books, I like to use www.whichbook.net to find new books, which has sliders for different categories and then finds books depending on what you said you wanted in the book. Not a very good explanation but it's the best I can do!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Theres a site called shelfari which is like goodreads but i didnt like it too much so i never went back after i signed up

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I just checked out whichbook. It a really good idea and its good that it gives descriptions cos i had never heard of the books it came up with lol

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah, I always find that it comes up with books that I've never heard of before!

message 6: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Yeah, I use two other sites. www.bookarmy.com is the one I've been using for the longest, and I've had the most good recommendations from. I also use www.readitswapit.co.uk where, obviously you can swap books with other members, but there's also a forum with loads of very friendly people on as well :)

message 7: by Gill (new)

Gill (lockwdg) | 99 comments Have you tried fantasticfiction.co.uk. That's a good one.

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Gill wrote: "Have you tried fantasticfiction.co.uk. That's a good one."

I did have a look at that site before but didn't really get it if I'm going to be honest. I will have another look in a while.

message 9: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments i use two other book sites www.fantasticfiction.co.uk I use that one to look for new books that have come out. The other book site I use is www.bookarmy.com I like good reads better because I can sort my book that i like in a easier order to look up if I need to. The book army site is a friendly site I have made lot of new friend on there too.

message 10: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Nick wrote: "i use two other book sites www.fantasticfiction.co.uk I use that one to look for new books that have come out. The other book site I use is www.bookarmy.com I like good reads better because I can s..."

I use bookarmy too, Nick! If you want to find me on there I'm Voguedotcom xx

message 11: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Dani wrote: "Nick wrote: "i use two other book sites www.fantasticfiction.co.uk I use that one to look for new books that have come out. The other book site I use is www.bookarmy.com I like good reads better be..."<
you will find me under nick

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo Dani (Voguedotcom) wrote: "Yeah, I use two other sites. www.bookarmy.com is the one I've been using for the longest, and I've had the most good recommendations from. I also use www.readitswapit.co.uk where, obviously you can..."

What is your name on readitswapit?

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments I've just joined readitswapit. Swapping books looks like fun! I'm hedgerowfancies on there.

message 14: by Ipswichblade (last edited Jan 29, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Ipswichblade I too would recommend www.readitswapit.co.uk . I have been a member for 4 years and have done over 350 swaps. The forum is excellent and it was through that I learned about Goodreads and decided to join. Also www.bookmooch.com is a good place to get books for points. The site can be slow (don't even try the forums!!) but I have picked up some good books from all over the world as well as sending many out. Also for just book buying with a "eco friendly" slant www.greenmetropolis.com is also worth checking out as that also has a lively forum
I am ipswichblade on all three sites mentioned

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I registered on readitswapit this afternoon and added some books on to swap. I got 5 replies and have just parcelled up two of the books to swap!

message 16: by SJ (new)

SJ (sjcanread) | 3 comments There is also http://www.bookmooch.com I think it is a bit like readitswapit.co.uk except instead of having to swap with the person whose book you are interested in (or who has requested one of yours), you earn points for every book you send out and then can use those points to request a book from someone else.

Be warned though I listed about 40 books when I joined and got deluged with requests in the first few hours and days. I think I posted 15 to 20 books out in the first week, which cost me a lot in postage and no immediate new books coming my way. Fortunately I've since been able to use up the points earned to get books sent my way for free.

You can also set up a wishlist for books you want, and get notified as soon as they become available. It's not perfect though. I find it a bit tricky to navigate and the generous points system means there isn't really the incentive to add make more books available to exchange, which in my experience seems to be detriment to the quality of books that are available across the site. Might be worth a look if you want to shift some of your older books though.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Lynne wrote: "I registered on readitswapit this afternoon and added some books on to swap. I got 5 replies and have just parcelled up two of the books to swap!"

What is your username on readitswapit?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments My user name is CaringCarer Jo I have since swapped 4 books and loaded a few more on too. I have a couple of others to put on too when I get sorted out.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo Maybe we can do a swap one day although with the amount of books you read, i am sure you will have read any i have lol.

My username is mojo88

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I will look you up!

message 21: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Hey! I'm in RISI as well, my user name is Denidax

message 22: by Nick 2E0NAQ (last edited Feb 14, 2010 04:37AM) (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments I use http://www.weread.com on face book and http://www.bookarmy.com . But I do find that http://www.goodreads.com is the better because you can keep your books in some sort of order on here.

message 23: by Ipswichblade (new)

Ipswichblade Just found another useful site that tells you by email when your favourite authors release books. Its very easy to add as many authors as you want
http://www.bookwatch.org/

message 24: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Today I came across this site books should be free where you can download audio books for free!

message 25: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I had a look here Dani, when you download do you know if the site automatically directs you to the iTunes store?

message 26: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Yes, I tried to download a book and it went to my iTunes, but somehow I only managed the 1st chapter!... I'm not very good with computers, so I must be doing smthg wrong!

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) BOOKS SHOULD BE FREE STUDENTS ARE SUFFERİNG BECAUSE OF THE PRİCES

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments ✿ Deni wrote: "Yes, I tried to download a book and it went to my iTunes, but somehow I only managed the 1st chapter!... I'm not very good with computers, so I must be doing smthg wrong!"

I only got the first chapter of the books I wanted too, so its not just you doing something wrong!

message 29: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Ummm I'm not techie either, do the books download from iStore? or the Books should be free site? iStore should give you the whole book, but the other site maybe just giving a taster so you can go to iStoer to download the whole freebie.......just a thought.

message 30: by ✿ Deni (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) Well, that could be the case, but then they shouldn't be called books should be free! :oD It's a bit disappointing, I was so exited I thought I found heaven book!... can you download free books in the iStore?

message 31: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Deni when I went to BSbF I thought it was a reference site that linked you to sites where you could download books that are free anyway not books that should be purchased for free. Most of the ones I saw were classics.. which are very often free . I may well be wrong. When I checked for various authors the site bought up no results and refered me to amazon etc.

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments Just read some of my previous posts. I do actually use Fantasticfiction now, nearly every day actually. I work in Waterstones now, so it comes in pretty handy at work for finding series orders and things.

message 33: by Dani (new)

Dani C (pentopaperreads) | 117 comments I've mentioned other websites that I use on here before, but I am posting for a different reason now. I mentioned www.bookarmy.com before, and that was a fantastic place to discover new books, and I have found many great reads from it in the past. However, that was a year and a half ago, and since then things have gone down hill very quickly. Even books such as Stephenie Meyer's The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner are not listed on their library at all, despite my bugging them with messages, and this is the same with numerous other bestsellers and new titles as well as older titles.
I wouldn't recommend it anymore.

message 34: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jul 13, 2010 01:10AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Dani, do you get paid by Waterstones or do you have to pay them at the end of the month! lol!

I know which way round my answer would be if I worked there!

My local Waterstones are starting a bookclub on Thurs night Sci fi and fantasy on. The first book is a new author for me, Mainspring by Jay Lake. I am really looking forward to going and meeting new people, as well as reading new authors I have not read before.

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo Have fun, Lynne!

message 36: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments I have been asked if i would like to join a writing group at the libriary. The lady has heard about my book.

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo Does anyone use www.greenmetropolis.co.uk ? You can sell your books on there. Every book goes for £3.75 (i think) and the site keeps the 75p and you get the rest. Obviously you have to pay postage aswell, but if it's a big book you can add on to the price to cover it. If the book is a bit battered or whatever, you can reduce the price and some books go for £1.75. It's a good place to find a bargin and get rid of books you don't want anymore! Sometimes they have books for cheap that you can't find anywhere else without selling your house to pay for it.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Hi Jo
I signed up on it today! I got a bookmark from a RISI swap advertising it and thought I would try selling my embroidery books, I await and see!

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo Oh great! I added a load of my books recently, but no bites yet! I did get a few cheap books off there that were in great condition though.

message 40: by Jo (new)

Jo Has anyone ever used www.listbooks.co.uk ? I came across it today and i like the sound of it. You can list books for free and you get all of the money whereas other sites take a cut. I listed a book and i will see if anyone wants it but im not sure how many people use it.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I sold my first book on www.greenmetropolis.co.uk on Friday night with was good. Only 20 left to sell now. The othr 120 I had I took to the book barn on Saturday morning for them to sell.

message 42: by Jo (new)

Jo What book was it? I have had books listed for ages but no one wants them :(. Did you reduced the price or add extra postage?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I put some of my embroidery books on it not novels. I had over 300 and needed to clear some of them out as I was not doing so much stitching as I was before. I have kept quite a few still but still some to sort out and try and sell.

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo Oh right. It sounds like you were due for a clearout! I am still hoping to get rid of some of mine but unfortunately i had to add on postage to most because of their size and some are hardbacks. If they don't sell in a couple of months i will transfer them to listbooks because they don't take a cut and i can lower the price.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Yes I did too as they are all big books to post.

message 46: by Jo (new)

Jo Oh well, hopefully we will both have luck getting rid of the books we don't want.

message 47: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments Found another site for you all to have a look at

http://www.booksetc.co.uk/

You can sell on here as well as purchase new books, and they sell e-books too.

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo I will check that one out!

message 49: by Jo (new)

Jo I finally sold a book on greenmetropolis! It cost me 81p to post so i made a profit of £2.19. And the book was given to me so i didn't even pay for it in the first place!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Oh thats great! Here's to more being sold!

« previous 1