Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Specific IR Book Talk > Book Rant: Beware Of Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 04, 2009 11:28AM) (new)

Arch  | 6568 comments Mod
I think that we should have a book rant thread here. I know that Davina has done a book rant thread on Amazon. I've noticed that some of my buddies will make comments about things they didn't like about a book they are reading, before doing a full review on here.

What do you guys say to ranting about books here? I know that there are some things that I can't stand in some books.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
I think it's a good idea, as long as we keep it respectful towards the author. Keep in mind there are authors on this group, and regardless, criticism should stay constructive and not stuff like 'this book sucks.' That's a general caveat, not directed at anyone in particular.

message 3: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 04, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

Oh, no we must respect authors. I don't have a lot of interracial books. I was speaking about ranting about books in general.

I'm speaking about something on this line: Jane Doe is running into the woods at 1 a.m. in the morning, because she heard noises coming from the woods. Why Jane? Go back home!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments
Jane is running in the woods at 1 am to go potty lol ok sorry

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
You mean rant if something is happening in a book and you're freaking out. That's cool.

Also I think it's fine if you need to vent about a book. Just venting respectfully.

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Arch! xD I've seen that before. Yeah, good thread.

message 7: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle wrote: "You mean rant if something is happening in a book and you're freaking out. That's cool.

Also I think it's fine if you need to vent about a book. Just venting respectfully."

Yes, we can vent too. I was just giving an example of something that I probably would say in regards to a character.

All venting should be respectful.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I just read a book (non interracial) that had a lot of drama in it. The author is someone who I've always enjoyed and this is a re-issue of one of her earlier releases that I've never read before and I've heard really good things about it but when I read I just couldn't get over all of the drama.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sounds good to me, Arch. Great idea.

message 10: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Danielle wrote: "I think it's a good idea, as long as we keep it respectful towards the author. Keep in mind there are authors on this group, and regardless, criticism should stay constructive and not stuff like '..."

Agreed!

message 11: by Justine (last edited Aug 06, 2009 03:28PM) (new)

Justine | 1228 comments A rant should go something like this

What da hell was the author thinking when so and so turned out to be black?! If I want a black hero I would go buy a book with one!!! But do not and I mean do not muddy the waters with the hero purportedly being white and then drop the racial bomb. It's lazy!

Is that a good rant or too disrespectful?

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I think that's okay. I guess the author can always come on and defend her/himself. :)

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

I have something to rant about something that I have read in Hot Pursuit. Nah, I'll touch up on it, in my review. It's about Sam. It will be a spoiler.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 06, 2009 10:58PM) (new)

Eugenia wrote: "Awww Arch, I been waiting for a rant, LOL. "

Okay, duh, my thread has "Beware of Spoilers" written in the title. (I'm speaking to myself.)

Okay, I hate the fact that Suzanne had Sam react late to a dectective saying horrible things about Alyssa. I feel that Sam from Defiant Hero, Over The Edge and Gone Too Far wouldn't given the man a chance to spit out another word. If he went ballistic on Wildcard for calling Alyssa a name he use to call her back in the day, prior to him being in love with her, surely he would have snapped at Mick.

Sam did show Mick that he doesn't allow men to insult his wife, but he could have done it faster. I will not say what the man had said about Alyssa, because first of all I don't cuss and second of all he says some other things and I just feel that Suzanne should have made Sam react faster. I know if I was the writer, Mick wouldn't have a chance to say another word, because Sam would have been on him like red is on hot sauce.

Another thing that I hate is that the man hurts Sam. He actually breaks one of my baby's ribs. Okay, Alyssa baby's rib. Sam is Alyssa's man.

Ex-Navy Seal, who would take down a bad guy in a minute vs. a Detective who doesn't like a woman being in charge.

I'm sorry, but Sam would have hurt that man. That man wouldn't even have a chance to even scratch the old Sam.

Alyssa would have hurt that man, without him even scratching her.

I'm hating that Suzanne is making Sam soft. Don't get me wrong, Sam is my old Sam. He's very much real, but Suzanne is making him a little soft and I can't stand that.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I know why Sam did that. He wanted to give the jerk enough rope to hang himself with and that's exactly what happened. Smart move on Sam's part with the cellphone trick I would say.

message 16: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 06, 2009 11:10PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "I know why Sam did that. He wanted to give the jerk enough rope to hang himself with and that's exactly what happened. Smart move on Sam's part with the cellphone trick I would say."

At first, Sam was just making a call to Jules. He was surprise that Mick had said what he said, in the midst of him leaving a message on Jule's phone.

Sam thought that Jules would have been a little confuse as to why he was saying what he said on the phone.

Plus, Sam didn't need Mick to hang himself.

I still think that Sam should have taken action faster than he did. Suzanne had him laughing at what Mick said about Alyssa.

If my husband would react like that, I would be mad at him.

That part to me, wasn't the Sam that I know.

message 17: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments I just bought my copy of Hot Pursuit, so I'll start try to catch up with you soon.

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

Loni wrote: "I just bought my copy of Hot Pursuit, so I'll start try to catch up with you soon."

Okay Loni. After you read the book, if you want to discuss it, I can create a spoiler thread for Hot Pursuit, so we can talk.

message 19: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Works for me, Arch.

message 20: by Arch , Mod (new)

Okay Loni.

message 21: by Arch , Mod (new)

LOL, Maya.

I have never wanted to set a book on fire.

I don't know if you have ever seen the movie Firestarter with Drew Berrymore, but if you had that kind of power, you would have set the book on fire with your disapproval.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

Well, thank goodness for the power being fake.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

dreamwild1985 wrote: "Arch wrote: "LOL, Maya.

I have never wanted to set a book on fire.

I don't know if you have ever seen the movie Firestarter with Drew Berrymore, but if you had that kind of power, you would ..."

Well I think you've earned the right to at least wall-bang the book. :)

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

YW, Maya. :)

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Yeah Maya you keep to hissing..no fire starting for you lol ha ha ha

message 26: by Sharon (last edited Aug 13, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments I read it also and it was ok,I alternated between hurrying and skimming through it

message 27: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, Eugenia, those things bug me too! I like to know both the hero and heroine are willing and equally enthusiastic. I don't like when one or the other (or both) is just tolerating it for whatever reason (they were forced, etc.)

And yeah, if everyone's been ID'ed, why not the hero? Brown skin is so ambiguous. I agree, that drives me crazy with questions, LOL.

message 28: by Shiree (last edited Aug 14, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Shiree McCarver | 305 comments Eugenia wrote: like erotica but in this book, the love scenes between hero and heroine aren't really because they know each other it's because they are compelled by some force outside of them to be together intimately which I don't think is romance more than mind control. So it seems kinda of lazy to me ..."

I agree, it is lazy. Part of what makes a romanace a romance is the tension and build up to the consumation. Sort of like dating in real life, the anticipation of becoming lovers can end being the best part of the realtionship when it's over or if it is good, the thing that keeps you together. I call it building memories. When I'm writing a book I try to see it like a moving picture one that if this couple look back on all they went through that got them to this point in the story meaning the HEA, what would go in there memory book. Really, do you want to leave a journal for your kids that tell them you met him and immediately just because you had an attraction or felt compelled to screw him you let him bend you over the hood over his car and you can tell them the type of car he was driving, the type of work he does, but you couldn't tell them if he has a mother, father, brother, sister, favorite foods, what makes him laugh, what makes him pissed...ect...

I think it's important to leave the readers smiling as they live the memory over and over as if it was there own. Most of the time it is not the love scene remembered but something funny or endearing in the story.

Ree

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Well said, Ree.

That's one of the things I liked about Trolling Nights. The passion and the sexual attraction was there, but it built and it was very clear that there was a deep emotional bond that was the foundation for that relationship. I can see Tim and Bevin having wonderful memories and stories to tell their kids about their courtship.

message 30: by new_user (new)

new_user Well, you have to admit, bending the heroine over the hood of his car would make quite a memory! LOL.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yeah, but not one to share with a five year old kid on the lap. :)

message 32: by Shiree (new)

Shiree McCarver | 305 comments Yeah, it would make a good memory but if you wrote a journal and your daughter read it after you passed away I rather she read a hundred pages of how we built that relationship that led mom into bending over the hood. But if she see Date one I did that then mom suddenly is just a hippocrit because I probably been telling her all her life wait until you find someone you love and get to know them first.
I don't mind a book like that but it pisses me when it is erotica and someone slap "romance" on to it when there is only sexual attraction. What do you do with that when you have a illness that stops the sex or an accident. A lover will hang in there because they like there lives better in it. A sexual attraction moves on to the next sexual attraction and for me the hood of his car will be memorable but for him you could have been the 10th peice of tail he bent over that hood...lol there no reason to fool anyone by calling erotica romance cause some of us like a good rump to get us hot. The hard part is writing a book that can do both.

Ree

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Shiree wrote: "Yeah, it would make a good memory but if you wrote a journal and your daughter read it after you passed away I rather she read a hundred pages of how we built that relationship that led mom into be..."

--For me a good with a really good emotional relationship and connection is necessary for me to like the sex scenes. Otherwise it's just warm bodies. That's why I don't like when the book starts with a hookup and no connection between the characters. If the sex happens early, it should be under intense circumstances. JMHO.

message 34: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments dreamwild1985 wrote: "Eugenia wrote: "If your gonna rant, you can't rant in secret. I want to know the name of the book, so I don't end up buying it. You can't do this on the DL, LOL. "

haha, well i didn't want to na..."

That's one of my favorites. I didn't get that at all from the book. isn't it interesting how we perceive things so differently.

:-) :-)

message 35: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments Eugenia wrote: "I don't I bought it, I think I just it from the library so I wouldn't have the chance to re-read it but I should try to re-read some of those early stories, who knows, I might like them then again ..."

Oh i know that book. I actually thought it was ok. I don't care for erotica to be honest, but i thought the book was ok

message 36: by Cinquetta (new)

Cinquetta (darkfaer) | 54 comments Why is it when some authors not all "NOT ALL" who write series especially paranormal stories. Usually they write about white woman with their mate (white man). What happen to diversity. Only white vampire werewolf or shapeshifter males fall for caucasian females. Hello are they only female on this planet. If it wasn't for Eve Vaughn, Marilyn Lee, Shelly Laurenston and couple other authors I wouldn't believe they fall for black woman. I wish other author would write about black asian or indian female in their storyline(hopeful black woman). I give Christine Feehan her props she listen to her fans one of books do have interracial couple in it DARK PROSSION.

message 37: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Aug 30, 2009 01:34PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Cinquetta wrote: "Why is it when some authors not all "NOT ALL" who write series especially paranormal stories. Usually they write about white woman with their mate (white man). What happen to diversity. Only white ..."

Politics and economy, most likely. The authors you mentioned are in the small press and have more wiggle room so they can experiment with stories, voices and characters and mostly the publishers are open to it. The larger press doesn't see high sales numbers in interracials and some Caucasian authors don't want to write other cultures (especially AA) for fear of being chastised because they weren't accurate in their depictions or because it may come across stereotypical.

A few authors in the large press have taken some chances in showing interracial couples and diverse characters like Lynn Viehl and C.E. Murphy, both who write for NY, but the vast majority have had some resistance from large pubs in showing IRs.

I hope we see more diverse characters not only in paranormal series but other genres as well. It'll be a nice breath of fresh air. :-)

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Cinquetta, you should check out Marjorie Liu. Her Dirk and Steele book series is very racially diverse. Also Nalini Singh has some racial diversity.

Mine to Possess has a hero who is half Black African and Hostage to Pleasure, Ashaya is clearly of Black heritage. She has brown skin, curly black hair, although her eyes are silver blue. Most the characters are racially diverse because race is not an issue in her books.

message 39: by Cinquetta (new)

Cinquetta (darkfaer) | 54 comments Thank you Ladies I understand why the authors write what their publishers and editors want hopeful time has change for more diversity in characters. I know author describe their characters on how they appear in their mind eyes. That is another factor and if imaginary characters describe themselves one way, the writers must go with the flow. Yeah anyway I still want to read more women of color (mainly black women)in these roles.

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You're not alone, Cinquetta.

message 41: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments Cinquetta wrote: "Why is it when some authors not all "NOT ALL" who write series especially paranormal stories. Usually they write about white woman with their mate (white man). What happen to diversity. Only white ..."

What we all need to do is vote with our pockets. I have been doing that for years now. And I feel really good about doing so

message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Aug 31, 2009 12:51PM) (new)

I agree we should vote with our pockets, but I think I go about it a little differently than you, Justine. I buy a lot of interracial romances, thus to support the genre. I do not buy most erotic interracial because it is not my taste, but I think the interracial I do buy makes up for it.
Also we get the word out by recommending these books and talking about them, and opening doors cross-culturally. If you are willing, blog about the books. Post on groups about books. I go onto the Amazon forum and I recommend interracial books that fit the theme of interest in a particular forum. People are always afraid of what they don't know. But at the end of the day, it's a good book, regardless of what color the person is in the book.

I pose a question and this is not intended to step on any toes:

If you only want read about Black characters in a book, is that any better than a reader who only wants to read about White characters? Shouldn't the story be the most important thing, and how it draws you in?

This is food for thought.

I love reading books with diverse characters. As a Black woman, I wish there were more stories in my areas of interest that had Black heroines. But I am happy to read a story that I enjoy and connect with regardless of the color of skin of the heroines. That is just me. I certainly don't intend to judge anyone for feeling different.

message 43: by Justine (last edited Aug 31, 2009 05:06PM) (new)

Justine | 1228 comments That's a good question Danielle and I don't have a good answer for it. I can only tell you what I do.

Take J.D. Robb for instance. I've read one book by her and I did not find her writing anymore spectacular than Rochelle Alers' or Denise Skelton's or Roslyn Hardy's or Eve Vaughn's or any other number of authors - and definitely she's not in the same class as Judit Smith-Levin. Yet there are publishers knocking down her door and Judith Smith Levin cannot get published, apparently because there's not a following for her genre. What absolute poppy cock! Ms. Levin's genre is mystery - it just so happens that her hero and heroine - an IR couple. So her books can actually cross genre.

So I would always support an IR author as long as the writing is passable.

Ms. Robb doesn't need my support. And if she did, I would still not give it unless a major character were to be a minority.

message 44: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments dreamwild1985 wrote: "Justine wrote: "That's a good question Danielle and I don't have a good answer for it. I can only tell you what I do.

Take J.D. Robb for instance. I've read one book by her and I did not find he..."

Dreamwild I thought it was only me... I can't figure it out either.
Her husband must own the publishing company or something. The closest I've come is that a PR guru posts a story about how good the book is and like sheep people run out and by the book.

Well I'm not impressed and I ain't wasting a penny.
And there are no minority characters. I'm sorry as a minority if you don't think well enough of us to give us a mention, my hard earned money will not be spent supporting you.

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Aug 31, 2009 05:23PM) (new)

I can totally respect where you are coming from Justine. I appreciate your thoughts.

I'll take a chance on a new for me author the first time. If she or he lets me down, off the consideration list that author goes. I don't care what color he/she is.

message 46: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments Danielle wrote: "I can totally respect where you are coming from Justine. I appreciate your thoughts.

I'll take a chance on a new author the first time. If she or he lets me down, off the consideration list tha..."

I've done that and continue to do that with IR authors. As a matter of fact there is one whose writing I don't really care for. But I still support by buying her books and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Aug 31, 2009 05:26PM) (new)

You're a better person than me. I won't buy an author's books that I don't like. It comes down to economics for me in that sense.

message 48: by Arch , Mod (last edited Sep 01, 2009 04:19PM) (new)

I love reading BWWM books, don't get me wrong, but when I read a book, I am reading to "see people" - a person's color doesn't bothers me.

I have read a lot of black romance books, where there were no whites in it, just as I have read white romance books, where there were no blacks in it.

I can't expect a white romance book to have a black character(s), if I don't expect a black romance book to have a white character(s) in it.

I would never support an author, because she writes a theme that I love. I don't read everyone's work.

A lady at my job thinks that I am weird, because I don't watch every black TV show on TV or watch every black movie. She knows that just because I'm black, it doesn't mean that I have to watch every Black TV show or movies. I may be black and the actress and actor maybe be black, "and?"

I'm character and colorblind and I will not change that fact.

message 49: by Tina (last edited Sep 01, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

Tina | 1377 comments I live in a multi-culti family (we're like the Obamas & his sister's family only not as cool) so my overwhelming preference in any books I read is to read stories with a wealth of character types and races. Generally speaking for what I like the most, I have to find outside of romance. But I like romance novels so I read mostly based on the writing.

It is a lucky thing that a person like Nalini Singh is such a good writer because I totally dig what she is doing. She populates her world and her space with multi-cultis -- kinda understanding that if you are writing about an alternative, fantastic world, then it is possible that the people in it aren't exactly sharing the same racial-political space as we are.

I do have to defend Nora Roberts a bit though. A lot of her stature today has to do with her longevity in the industry and really she pushed the envelope in category romances in ways that opened up the narrative structure for many other authors. She came up through the harlequins, through the mass market etc. She was doing time travel and paranormals in Silhouette before that hit a lot of people's radar.

I do agree that her current stuff she pumps out under the Nora Roberts name is extremely underwhelming and while her sales don't reflect it, her reviews do. And truthfully I no longer actually buy her Nora Roberts books. However, I will say her JD Robb stuff is very good and these I do buy. And again, she really pushed the envelope there -- creating a futuristic romance-mystery hybrid (she insisted that it be shelved in mystery), hard-boiled female-cop/romance heroine in back 1995 while everyone else was pouring their efforts into romantic suspense and the same old, same old Western Europe centralized historical romances.

Truly, I can't fault that she writes mainly what she knows -- white people with Irish backgrounds. But she is one the of the very few mainstream, big names who has featured IR secondary couples in some of her books (Divine Evil, Black Hills) and her JD Robb stuff pretty blatantly acknowledges that the New York of the future is populated largely by mixed race people.

Speaking of Judith Smith-Levin, I do agree that what is going on with her is criminal. She can truly write ! In a perfect world she would be pumping out the books like Sue Grafton or Faye Kellerman. I can name about 50 romance novelists alone who publish every year who don't have the writing chops she has.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Sep 01, 2009 03:39PM) (new)

Excellent points, Tina. I agree with you about the multi-culti world. That's part of why I don't read too many AA romances. They are the same but opposite. I like reading about all kinds of people. I love Asian people (just always have). I don't want to live in a one race world.

One of my GR friends pointed out that Black Hills has an IR relationship, so I put it on my list. I'd like to read Rising Tides because Ehtan is apparently a great hero. I also want to start reading the JD Robb books because I heard they're good stuff. I don't think I'll ever be a huge NR fan like some readers, but I'll read the ones that interest me. I'm looking forward to reading Judith Smith-Levin.

« previous 1