Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Jennifer Donnelly

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Jennifer Donnelly is the author of:

A Northern Light/A Gathering Light
The Tea Rose
The Winter Rose

I have read A Northern Light and The Tea Rose, and they were both easily 5 star reads for me. I love her lyrical writing so much, and her characters are always so brilliant too. What have you guys read by her and enjoyed?

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

message 2: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments I loved A Northern Light! I don't know that I would've read it but it was a group read on Wild Things so I gave it a shot. Soooo glad I did. I have The Tea Rose in my stack of books to read. Maybe I'll read that next.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Natalee wrote: "I loved A Northern Light! I don't know that I would've read it but it was a group read on Wild Things so I gave it a shot. Soooo glad I did. I have The Tea Rose in my stack of books to read. Ma..."

I think you'll really like it! Especially since I know you loved A Northern Light.

message 4: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments 5 stars, easy!

message 5: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
I just got A Northern Light from the library this week. I plan on starting it soon after such rave reviews.

JG (Introverted Reader) My mom even loved A Northern Light and we don't have very similar taste. At least that gave us a book to share!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I'm reading Winter Rose now, I looooove love it. It MIGHT even be better then Tea Rose, although I think I prefer not to compare them so much as consider them one big story.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Jackie wrote: "I just got A Northern Light from the library this week. I plan on starting it soon after such rave reviews. "

*poke* did you ever start it??

message 9: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Ouch! My poor ribs :( It's next on my list once I finish with K's book this weekend.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I have A Northern Light, which I am anxious to get to read. I ordered Tea Rose from paperbackswap, but I have a feeling its going to become a case of lost in the mail, which is going to make me extremely sad. I really wanted to get my hands on that one.

message 11: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
I think that everyone here is also in Fiona's group, but just in case there are any Jennifer Donnelly lovers here who are NOT already aware, Fiona has succeeded in getting Jennifer D. to come for a Q&A session in her Wild Things group on September 9th.

If you are not yet a member of that group and would like to join the fun, I'm sure that Fiona won't mind if I direct you right on over: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 12: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

I can't wait to talk to her in the WT group! I finished A Northern Light the other day and it was excellent. I loved the switch from the present to the mystery/past. I especially loved the concept of the word of the day and how it was incorporated into each chapter. I thought that was creative.

message 13: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) I've read all three of her books and have given them all five stars. I believe she is the only author I have done that with. She is a fabulous story teller.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Christy wrote: "I've read all three of her books and have given them all five stars. I believe she is the only author I have done that with. She is a fabulous story teller."

ditto

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments I finished A Northern Light today and really loved it. Mattie was an amazing character. I need to go and find The Tea Rose. The title of that book makes me smile!

message 16: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Wilson (oldhousejunkie) | 10 comments I love Jennifer Donnelly's books. I am eagerly awaiting "The Wild Rose" when it releases next year (I think.) I first read "The Tea Rose" when I was in college. Unfortunately, I started reading in the middle of exam week...bad idea! I think I read the whole thing in less than 24 hours, and then started it again when I finished.
Jennifer is so nice, too. I wrote her e-mail a couple of years ago, and she wrote back. That sort of amazed me! I'm so happy that there are others out there who enjoy her stories.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments I found The Winter Rose, but I'm still on a search for The Tea Rose.

message 18: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) She has a new book coming out this year! Revolution

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments I loved The Tea Rose and I am going to soon read The Winter Rose and then Northern Light. I am glad to hear that she has a new book coming out this year, but I have got to get her other ones read first! My TBR list is way toooooo long!!!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments I finally have The Tea Rose...now I just need to read it.

Oh thank goodness for my godmother (she sent it to me).

message 21: by Tasha (last edited Jul 01, 2010 07:18AM) (new)

Tasha I had gotten a free credit from a family member on paperbackswap and couldn't decide which book to spend the credit on until...I found this discussion! So, I just placed an order for A Northern Light and am excited for it to arrive! the reviews sound really great :)

message 22: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) | 12 comments Question: I've read A Northern Light and loved it, but I'm wondering, how do her other books compare? My library has them all (except for the new one coming out), so I could easily go check them out. I've been hesitating to pick them up for heaven knows what reason, but I thought maybe hearing some opinions would kick my butt in gear.

message 23: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

I loved A Northern Light...it made my top 5 for 2009. This year I picked up Tea Rose and it was wonderful. I didn't give it 5 stars....more like 4 1/2. I thought it was too dramatic in the beginning and end. The heroine gets put through hell and then seeks redemption...similar to A Northern Light, but on a grander scale. You have to suspend belief, although I think you have to do that for much of the historical fiction out there anyway, but it was really good. It moved along quite well and the writing was just as good as A Northern Light.

message 24: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) | 12 comments Thank you both! The Tea Rose is still on my TBR list, but I'm not rushing to get to it.

message 25: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 51 comments I read A Northern Light right before my friend had her twins....that was eye opening! Thank heavens for epidurals!!!

message 26: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

LMAO!

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 306 comments I've read The Tea Rose and have Winter Rose on my TBR shelf.
I enjoyed The Tea Rose, but thought it was a bit overwrought at times.

I loved A Northern Light and read it twice. It is supposedly young adult, but I loved it both times.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I just got an ARC of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

can't wait to read it :D

message 29: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) | 12 comments Allison wrote: "I just got an ARC of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

can't wait to read it :D"

Ohh, I'd love to hear what you think of it when you read it!

message 30: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 51 comments I just bought The Tea Rose & The Winter Rose from Amazon based on all your guys' recommendations! Thanks!!

message 31: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

I just got The Winter Rose at the library today :D I've been wanting to read it for awhile now.

Allison, how is Revolution?

message 32: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) | 120 comments I got The Tea Rose in the mail last night! I can't wait to start it!

message 33: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

I think you will enjoy it Kristi. I actually enjoyed Winter Rose more than Tea Rose. I can't wait for the next book on Seamie. He's such a cutie.

message 34: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) | 120 comments I had to get it, because you all talked so highly of this seriws, and I loved A Northern Light! I can't wait to read all the series books!

message 35: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments Hay I picked up The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly but have not read the Tea Rose.Is it a continuation of the same Characters or just set in the same world I was confused about that.

message 36: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Jan 03, 2012 05:46PM) (new)

It's sort of a continuation of the same characters. It's really a family saga. So the first one is based on the sister, the second on the older brother and then the third due out this year I think is about the youngest brother. But you see the other characters and some of the background story, so it's best to read them in order.

message 37: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments So I can read them out of order?

message 38: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

I just amended my comment. lol. You should read them in order so you can fully understand the story.

message 39: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments Jackie wrote: "I just amended my comment. lol. You should read them in order so you can fully understand the story."

Okay thanks Jackie I put the first book on hold at the library so I will get that one and read it first.

message 40: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Hope you enjoy it Chakara! And thanks for mentioning it because I just saw the 3rd one was published last year. I'm going to order it from my library.

message 41: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments Jackie wrote: "Hope you enjoy it Chakara! And thanks for mentioning it because I just saw the 3rd one was published last year. I'm going to order it from my library."

Yes! I saw it at BN a couple weeks ago loved the cover then found out it was the 3rd in a series so I requested them from the library. :) These books are very expensive and prob time consuming with the length So im not going to run out and spend all my little College Loan on them lol not yet if I fall in love with them then I will lmao.

Unrelated: I saw a bag at BN that said something like I spend all my money on books and then if some is left I buy food and clothes. LMAO

message 42: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Jan 03, 2012 06:01PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Jess wrote: "Allison wrote: "I just got an ARC of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Ohh, I'd love to hear what you think of it when you read it!"

I loved The Tea Roae but to be honest didn't care for Revolution at all. I love time travel and read all three of the Rose books by now, but Revolution just didn't do anything for me. Gave up on it at page 100.

message 43: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments Nancy wrote: "Jess wrote: "Allison wrote: "I just got an ARC of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Yea, I tried Rev too and couldnt get into it. I might give it another try it seemed to start out very slow and the main character didnt hook me in.

I loved The Tea R..."

message 44: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments Nancy wrote: "Jess wrote: "Allison wrote: "I just got an ARC of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

I loved The Tea R..."

For some reason my response didnt seem to post. Anywho I tried Rev it was way to slow and I didnt get pulled by the characters so I checked it back in at the library.

message 45: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments I read the trilogy, Tea Rose, Winter Rose, Wild Rose, last year and loved them all. Definitely to get the msot out of them, they should be read in order.

message 46: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Only read Revolution. It was okay, but the sub-elements weren't all that well-melded, I thought. I'll have to check out the Rose trilogy though.

message 47: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Jeremy wrote: "Only read Revolution. It was okay, but the sub-elements weren't all that well-melded, I thought. I'll have to check out the Rose trilogy though."
My daughter just gave me Revolution for Christmas knowing I loved Donnelly Rose books. I think this one is a YA.

message 48: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie LemonLinda wrote: "I read the trilogy, Tea Rose, Winter Rose, Wild Rose, last year and loved them all. Definitely to get the msot out of them, they should be read in order."

I found them all well written, but loved Tea Rose and didn't like Wild Rose because I hated the main characters.

message 49: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 38 comments I did get the book from the library but its not well taken care of sadly and it has another hold on it so i cant renew it.

message 50: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Edgar | 33 comments I've read Revolution, which is wonderful. It's so hard to write a timeslip book that works, but somehow the strangeness of Paris for the main character together with her state of mind makes the slip into the past feel right.

« previous 1