Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Ancient History (Old Threads) > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,189 (2189 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 43 44

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Welcome to the group! Feel free to introduce yourself here :)

message 2: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Hi!!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Hi Jackie! Thanks for joining :D

...and go start posting some books! I feel bad (although it is not at all surprising) that I'm the only one that has.

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3686 comments Mod
I will post soon!

message 5: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

lol. I have to look through my list to see what historical stuff I have read that is worth discussion and recommendation.

message 6: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Hi! I recognize you girls... have I seen you somewhere before? *wink*

Well, I haven't been reading Historical Fiction long but I just realized recently how much I enjoy it. So, I am looking forward to everyone's recommendations and discussions.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey everyone! I haven't been reading Historical Fiction long either, but plan to change that and would like to know what's good... that's where this group will come in handy! :)

Good to see everyone!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Natalee wrote: "Hi! I recognize you girls... have I seen you somewhere before? *wink*

Well, I haven't been reading Historical Fiction long but I just realized recently how much I enjoy it. So, I am looking f..."

I know what you mean, I kinda rediscover it over and over again, haha.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments and welcome to the group, Natalee!

message 10: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 09:29AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Linda Grace wrote: "Hey everyone! I haven't been reading Historical Fiction long either, but plan to change that and would like to know what's good... that's where this group will come in handy! :)

Good to see ev..."

welcome to the group! :) Nice to see you here.

message 11: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) | 9 comments Hello Ladies!

First, I'd like to say how much I love the name of this group! Secondly, I've been a fan of historical fiction for years, ever since I read Gone With The Wind when I was 13.

I've done pretty well finding my own historical fiction, but I'm excited to see the many suggestions you ladies have to offer. Thanks for the invite! I'm anxious to see how this group pans out.

message 12: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 09:29AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Andra, I want to read Gone With the Wind so badly, I have no clue why I haven't yet! I have a copy sitting at home and everything.

Welcome to the group! :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 04, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

I want to read Gone With The Wind also, but it is so long I just can't find the time to read it. Maybe I will nominate it next month, since I already nominated something for this month.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments Hi everyone!!! I want to read more HF...so bring them on! (I foresee my TBR getting bigger by the second)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Linda Grace wrote: "I want to read Gone With The Wind also, but it is so long I just can't find the time to read it. Maybe I will nominate it next month, since I already nominated something for this month."

yeah! we'll have to do that.

message 16: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) | 9 comments Truly, GWTW is really long, but it's so trashy and quick to read.

I love the film and the book only makes the whole experience better. I have no idea how it won the Pulitzer Prize. On the first page there is a description of the Tarleton boys' bulging thighs that is downright racy! It's a fun read. And makes a great discussion over whether or not Scarlett is a perfect heroine or a horrible person.

Again, I'm lovin' this group!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Andra, have you read Scarlett, the sequel? I know its not supposed to be very good, but I think I have it on my shelf to read also.

message 18: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) | 9 comments I have read Scarlett, the summer after I read GWTW. It was all right. Definitely a departure from Margaret Mitchell's original plan, but a good fantasy of her future nonetheless.

I did hear about a new book that's a sort of "pre-quel" to Rhett's adventures in the book. I think it's called Rhett Butler's People. I haven't read that, but was planning on it in the future. Right now I'm deep into the Clan of the Cavebear series and I'd like to tackle World Without End. I read The Pillars of the Earth and LOVED it.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments ooo, I have the first Clan of the Cave Bear on my shelf! hehe. I also read and loved Pillars of the Earth, it was several years ago...might need to re-read Pillars before I could pick up the 2nd one.

message 20: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) | 9 comments Clan was so good. It took a little getting used to, but I highly recommend it. There are three books in the series, and the latter two (Valley of Horses and Mammoth Hunters) are kind of totally trashy. And I don't think you'd need to reread Pillars. The first doesn't have much to do with the second--the second is set 100+ years after the first.

Oh, and I just ordered Mammoth Hunters and Rhett Butler's People from abebooks.com. See what you ladies made me do?!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments haha! love it :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

i'm here we can all celebrate now! ha ha!

message 23: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Heather wrote: "Hi Jackie!!!! Aren't you just thrilled to have yet another group to try and keep up with? LOL But hey, we all have to follow one another around, ya know. And you do like HF so... :)"

True. I love staying close to my friends :-) You know, I didn't realize how much HF I've read until looking at the Idiot's list Allison posted. lol. Everytime I think of HF I think of the Tudors period or religious settings.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah you guys! Start posting books already. I haven't added anything to my TBR in like 45 minutes.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments drat. I didn't mean to invite her. :\

just kidding :) thank you for joining us Fiona.

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Oh man! The cat's slacking again and let a bird in!! :P

Just kidding... Yay Fiona's here!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Fiona wrote: "I'd have gate crashed any. Sneaked in through a crack. You can't start a party without me!"

well we COULD...but why would we want to??

...to think, I don't even have to suck up to you in here :)

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 43 comments Hi everyone, I'm Beth and I know most of you from Wild Things are whatever other book groups I belong to. I've joined so many of them I can't keep track! Anyway, thanks for the invite Heather!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments welcome to the group Beth, nice to see you!

message 30: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) Hi Everyone....thanks for the invite Allison...
For those of you who don't know me I'm Lisa. I'm in lots of other groups with most of you.

I don't think I have read a lot of historical fiction but I would actually like to try to get into some of it.

Thanks again for the invite oh and NOW we can get the party started. :~)

message 31: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Welcome to the group everyone! I am really excited to see you all here!

message 32: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 39 comments Hello!

Most of you already know me from TNBBC and Wild Things. I just have to say I love love love Gone With The Wind, and Scarlett was a guilty pleasure. :-)
Another guilty pleasure was North and South by John Jakes.

So what time periods do you all enjoy?
I'm pretty into Asian historical fiction such as Memoirs of A Geisha, WW2, the Civil War, ancient Greece, Rome, ancient Britain/Ireland, and Arthurian fiction. LOL, and there's way more, so pretty much everything history.

message 33: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hi April!! Glad that you could join!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments yeah, thanks for not dissing us Lisa and April, hehe :)

message 35: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Hi all, thanks for the invite! Everyone knows we all need to add more books to the TBR pile. I like historical mysteries and general historical fiction. Some historical romance but only if it's well written. I look forward to discussing books with you all.

message 36: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Sorry, forgot to introduce myself. My name is Kandice and I am a bookaholic. LOL

Anyway, I've always loved historical fiction, can't wait to talk about good books with you guys.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 54 comments Heather wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Hi everyone!!! I want to read more HF...so bring them on! (I foresee my TBR getting bigger by the second)"

Welcome to the group, Jennifer! I know what you mean about the TBR...I c..."

I'm heading there right now

message 38: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Hi Everybody! I recognize most of you from TNBBC. At first, I wasn't sure exactly what HF was...then everyone was talking about Gone With the Wind and I realized I was home.

Thanks for the invite Becky. I feel very privilaged to be invited to a private book club.

message 39: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Felina wrote: "Hi Everybody! I recognize most of you from TNBBC. At first, I wasn't sure exactly what HF was...then everyone was talking about Gone With the Wind and I realized I was home.

Thanks for the invite Becky. I feel very privilaged to be invited to a private book club."

GWTW is a wonderful book! I've loved the movie for as long as I can remember, and the book is so much better! I never had any desire to read Scarlett or any of the related books, because I thought that GWTW was just perfect.

But The Reader is HF too, Felina! And you have quite a few books that I think are HF on your shelf. Don't sell yourself short!

:)

message 40: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Thanks Becky. I guess Historical Fiction just sounds so 'intellectual' and I don't consider myself to be an 'intellectual' reader. I mean my favorite books are written for kids!

When I first got the invite for this club I started imagining dusty biographies of long dead presidents. Yikes! Then I thought that I'm willing to give anything a try as long as there is good discussion. Realizing that its not like that is a very pleasant suprise. You're probably thinking that I could have figured it out cause biographies are not fiction but what can I say. :)

message 41: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Hi!

I'm Susanna, just joined. 22 years old from Finland. I don't usually read historical fiction but I've found that I do like the genre. Most recently, I guess, I read Atonement which was set in the 1930s and during WWII, and Mary Renault's Alexander trilogy which I also loved. I'm excited about this group and look forward to reading with you guys :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments ooo an Alexander trilogy, I'll have to look that up.

Welcome to the group Susanna! We look forward to your suggestions :)

message 43: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Thanks, Allison!

I haven't read anything else from Mary Renault but she has written a number of historical novels set in ancient Greece if you're interested in the era. :)

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna | 49 comments Hi Everyone, I've posted a bit and I recognize a few people from other groups but I just realized that I never really said hello.

I'm from Virginia and I work in the production side of publishing for a technical publisher. My personal reading is mostly mysteries and historical fiction and I lead a small historical fiction book group at our local bookstore. I am really looking forward to chatting about books with everyone.

JG (Introverted Reader) Hi, everyone! I recognize most of you from other groups. Thanks for the invite!

message 46: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Felina wrote: "Thanks Becky. I guess Historical Fiction just sounds so 'intellectual' and I don't consider myself to be an 'intellectual' reader. I mean my favorite books are written for kids!

When I first got the invite for this club I started imagining dusty biographies of long dead presidents. Yikes! Then I thought that I'm willing to give anything a try as long as there is good discussion. Realizing that its not like that is a very pleasant suprise. You're probably thinking that I could have figured it out cause biographies are not fiction but what can I say. :)"

Have you seen my shelves? I LOVE YA, and actually, the last book I read was I, Coriander, which is a Fantasy YA HF!

But I know what you mean, because HF does give one a certain impression of either utter dullness or skin-tight corsets, but theres a lot more to it and I'm so excited to try to show that!

JG (Introverted Reader) Thanks for the welcome, Heather. I've been posting all over the place, now that I have time. It's a great group already.

message 48: by Becky, Moddess (new)

ACK! JG! I am awful! I didn't even see you! Welcome!!! I'm glad that you joined!

That's a whole lot of !'s! LOL

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Hi JG! So glad you're here :)

JG (Introverted Reader) Becky wrote: "ACK! JG! I am awful! "

It was just a little post and easy to overlook. I think I'm making up for that in the recommendation threads. You guys are going to be sick of seeing me in there! :-)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 43 44
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.