UK Book Club discussion

Your Reading Experience > Buying Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 445 (445 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
Which book shops do you think are the best value for money? Or do you just shop in charity shops or swap books?
I find that Poundland often has some good books, which are obviously only £1.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I have never looked in poundland for books! I didnt know they sold books. I buy most of my books online at amazon mostly because it works out cheaper if you buy used books on there

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I bought a few of my uni books from the marketplace because it made them £2 instead of £30! I always find that it's nice to start reading a book that's brand new.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I like books that are a bit beaten up but i must admit i prefer to be the one that has made it that way. Most of the used books i buy are like new or good. I avoid ones that say acceptable

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter I only purchase books through either amazon, play or bookdepositoyl they're always cheaper than the bookstore or should I be looking harder in the real world?

message 6: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I think that them websites probably are cheaper than other bookstores! Other than Poundland, but that only ever has about 10 different books on offer at a time.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Ooh, how do we all stand on the Oxfam vs. Second-hand Book Store?

message 8: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

There's a second hand book store up the road from me which has books from 50p, I haven't been in there yet but I do keep intending to! (It looks a bit scary!!) I always find that Oxfam isn't actually that cheap for books, but I guess you should want to give more money for them as it's a charity, but personally, I think that if they're being given the books for free, they should sell them for a lower price. They would then sell more and get more money and we'd get a better deal.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo There are no second hand bookstores in my area :( I've never been in the Oxfam in my town its just full of old ladies clothes

message 10: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, in Dorking we have a separate Oxfam which is just for books, and a lot of the other charity shops have some books, but none of them are very cheap :( There is also a Book Ends and British Book Shops (used to be Sussex Stationers). In Portsmouth we've got everything :D
I keep forgetting that I have £30 of book vouchers that I haven't spent yet!!

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo I vaguely remember seeing a lot of bookstores in Portsmouth. My brother went to uni there

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Not the cheapest, but I believe book heaven is Waterstone's on Piccadily.

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo I bet thats a big one isnt it. The Waterstones in my town is little and rubbish but i have been to some really nice Waterstones

message 14: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah, Waterstone's isn't very cheap a lot of the time, they do give you points though :D

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Biggest bookshop in Europe: eight floors!

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo WOW i bet its hard to find what your looking for in there! I have a Waterstones points card. You can use it on the internet too.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter Getting lost in there is no bad thing. :)

message 18: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah, I've not got many points on it though :(
May have to visit that book shop at some point!!

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo True! lol I can think of worse places to get lost!

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo Zoe wrote: "Yeah, I've not got many points on it though :(
May have to visit that book shop at some point!! "

Everytime i order from there online i can knock off about 12p from my last order but it still usually makes it more expensive than amazon

message 21: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah, I find that too.

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter I need this: http://www.archdaily.com/31172/livrar... near me, and in English plz.

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo Thats way cool Peter!

message 24: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah! That's amazing!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments I buy from Waterstones when there are new books I want to read, with my points I then buy ebooks from the website for my Sony Reader. I also buy new and used books from Amazon. I also buy from the supermarkets as they are quite cheap too, but I can never pass any bookshop without going in and browsing!

When out shopping I browse through charity shops for books and never come home without one or three!

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo Is the Sony Reader a similar size to a real book? Do they hold many books? I think that amazon is great for used books. Some are just 1p before postage!

message 28: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Aug 13, 2009 03:37AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments Yes about the size of a paper back but slim! I have over 150 books on it and on an sd card with nearly 600 songs as you can put earphones/tiny speakers and listen to music too. I love it!

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo It sounds pretty good!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments Check it out on the waterstones website.

message 31: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

That does sound cool, I saw something similar on Amazon a while ago, don't remember what it's called now though!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments The one on Amazon is the Kindle.

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo Do you get the Sony books of Waterstones?

message 34: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I just got an email from Waterstones offering me 10% off any order before noon on Friday if I spend £15 or more. It's tempting! I don't think I will though as I don't have any money :P If anyone wants to use the code and doesn't have it, then it's JY7592
Not sure how many people it would let use it!

message 35: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Aug 13, 2009 04:13AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments Yes you download the ebooks to the Sony from waterstones and I download public domain books to my sony from manybooks.net too for free if you like classics and old books. In return I proofread pages of books they want to turn into ebooks.

message 36: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I downloaded an ebook reader on my iphone which searched Google books for books that were available for reading, they didn't really have many books I was interested in though.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments Thats the catch with free books most are out of copyright and public domain and some are very old and obscure! Mind you I have found quite a few that I thought were interesting and have enjoyed reading too.

message 38: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I just got an email from WHSmiths which is offering the same as Waterstones (10% off orders over £15) which lasts until Monday, the code for that is 10PCBOOK if anyone's interested and prefers WHS to Waterstones :-)

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo I would use it but i cant afford it :(

message 40: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Same here :(

message 41: by Jo (new)

Jo I just got an email of WHSmith for 10% off aswell lol

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments I just came back from shopping and have come back with 8 more books from various charity shops! Wonder if we need to start a councelling type topic, BA Bookolics Anon! for those who have no will power over buying books!

Small Town Christmas - Debbie Macomber
Back to the Bedroom - Janet Evanovich
My Point...and do I have one - Ellen Degreneres
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
The Fire Within - Chris d'Lacy
Eye of the World part 1 - Robert Jordan
Happy Birthday Shakespeare - Mark Wallingham
The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke

message 43: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, I had to work really hard at not spending so much money on books - now I try to just buy books which are £1 or less :) doesn't always work but I'm doing ok!

message 44: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, I had to work really hard at not spending so much money on books - now I try to just buy books which are £1 or less :) doesn't always work but I'm doing ok!

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I tend to get my books from either secondhand book shops or Waterstones if its a new one out. I love secondhand stores, they have so much more character and charm than Waterstones (as much as I also love wandering around the one here in Cardiff). I'm not a fan of charity shops selling books for the simple fact that they can affect the trade at secondhand stores that need the trade to stay in business (call me heartless if you will).

I'm not sure about those Sony readers either, surely part of the charm of books is the smell and feel of the pages (yes old fashioned I know lol), which you're not going to get with a Sony but hey if it gets people reading more, brilliant :-)

message 46: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I do prefer actual books to e-books, but e-books are a bit easier to carry around with you at all times in case you get stuck somewhere and want to read! And then you don't have to worry whether you've taken enough books on holiday with you either!

Second hand bookshops seem to smell more 'bookish' and are fun to spend hours in wandering around! I really should try to visit them a bit more often when I'm back down in Portsmouth!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments I have just spent a happy hour with my sony reader in the cafe at waitrose! It fits in my smallest handbag and has 158 books on it as well as 569 songs on the SD card.

I also popped a book back to the library and they were selling off some of their books 'fill a bag' for £1! Well I found another 7 to help me through my nightshifts!

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo Loads of people say they find fill a bag sales. I wish i knew where some were near me!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3619 comments Keep an eye in your local library! I shall really have to visit it more often! Maybe I should go one day a week..................

message 50: by Jo (new)

Jo I dont go to my local library. Maybe i should

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9