Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > Lady Julia series by Deanna Raybourn

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 10:51AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Silent In The Grave by Deanna Raybourn Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn Silent On The Moor by Deanna Raybourn

GR blurb for Silent in the Grave:

"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."
These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests.

Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a longstanding physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth.

Determined to bring her husband's murderer to justice, Julia engages the enigmatic Brisbane to help her investigate Edward's demise. Dismissing his warnings that the investigation will be difficult, if not impossible, Julia presses forward, following a trail of clues that lead her to even more unpleasant truths, and ever closer to a killer who waits expectantly for her arrival.

I would desribe these as romance/mystery. They are quite a bit darker then you will expect them to be, and romance does play a fairly big part in the series, but there really isn't any sex (except AFTER marriage...how classy). The mysteries will be harder to solve then you think too, very twisty turny, and dark, as I already said. I HIGHLY recommend these, one of my favorite series.

(and yes, I know I'm sorta cheating for sticking these in here since they aren't strictly historical fiction.)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I don't like the cheesy cover on the 3rd one, it makes them seem like trashy romance novels, and they are NOT

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (neferchica) | -3 comments I just finished the first of this series last night and I'm hooked. I'm half way through the second one. I love the vivid, unique characters against the Regency setting.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Aug 29, 2010 04:52PM) (new)

Heidi  | 72 comments Okay, I've read all three, however, I was very disappointed with the third because unfortunately it was a little more Harlequin romance and less mystery/gothic than the first two. I like a little romance with my mystery/thrillers, however, the third book pushed the envelope on that angle.

If there's a 4th, I sure hope Ms. Raybourne goes back to her mystery roots. I thought I read that she's got another series coming out-- if so, I'd still give it a try.

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments I don't like Regency, so I avoided these novels, butDark Road to Darjeeling sounded interesting. I like the fact that it's set in the Himalayas.

message 6: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (neferchica) | -3 comments Heidi wrote: "Okay, I've read all three, however, I was very disappointed with the third because unfortunately it was a little more Harlequin romance and less mystery/gothic than the first two. I like a little r..."

I just finished the second this morning and ready to run out and buy the third. I'm sad to hear that the next book isn't as much gothic/mystery...but I don't mind a good romance either. I hope I like it!

message 7: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 146 comments These are great! I just read the first one a couple of days ago and finished the 2nd one today. I still have to mow through the 3rd one and have the 4th from the publisher to review. Can't believe I let them sit on my shelf for so long without reading them :)

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 1 comments I love the Julia novels, and wish they'd go back to the old covers, but alas.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments I just ordered the first two Lady Julia books, so I am looking forward to getting those in the mail any day now! I love Historical Fiction murder/mystery/suspense series with female leads.

message 10: by Mary (last edited Oct 05, 2010 09:02PM) (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Um, they're not historical fiction? I mean, I thought historical fiction was a wide umbrella under which lurked straight historical fiction, literary historical fiction, historical mysteries, historical romance, historical alternate reality, etc. Well, either way, I like the series too, the first especially, (tho agree that Silent on the Moor wasn't the best of the bunch). I just started Dark Road to Darjeeling and am hoping for a really good read.

By the way, I thought they were set in the Victorian era, aren't they? Not the Regency period. I could be wrong.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Zimmerman | 1 comments I have read all 3. I agree that I thought the last book was more romance than mystery. Love the facts on gypsy life.

message 12: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Kroll (worderella) Shomeret wrote: "I don't like Regency, so I avoided these novels, butDark Road to Darjeeling sounded interesting. I like the fact that it's set in the Himalayas."

This isn't a regency series. It is firmly in the late Victorian era. I'm wondering if the books are easy to pick up mid-series, such as jumping in on the fourth book, Dark Road to Darjeeling. I loved the first two and plan to read the third.

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Kroll (worderella) Margaret wrote: "I love the Julia novels, and wish they'd go back to the old covers, but alas."

No kidding! I LOVED the original covers. The new covers turn me off, which is too bad.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments I like the old covers better as well, but I LOVE the series. I am in the middle of the second book Silent in the Sanctuary and yesterday, I ordered books 3 and 4! It reminds me in a way of the Lady Emily series b/c of Julia and Emily's personality and/or behavior being similar, but there are definite differences as well. I love all of Julia's crazy family members and I love the fact that her father loves his 10 children so much and was so liberal (for that time period) with the girls.

message 15: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I bought Silent in the Grave a week or two ago...can't remember now. I haven't started it yet.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments You must read it SP, it is really good. It does take a little while for it to get going or the mystery part of it at least, but I did not see the end coming, so that was nice for a change. The second one is really good as well.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments I just finished the second one tonight and the similarities btw. Lady Julia and Lady Emily keep growing stronger and stronger. They both have devoted butlers, strong willed lady's maids and they are both very independent (for that time period). Well, the third book has not arrived yet, so I am reading something else while I wait for it, but then I will finish up the series with books 3 and 4!

message 18: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (slkenn79) | 82 comments I love this series. I have read the first 3, and have enjoyed them all. I really liked the different setting of the 3rd one. I own the next two. #5 The Dark Enquiry was just published at th end of June.

message 19: by LadyRhi (new)

LadyRhi Raybourn's books have become my favorite historical mysteries (with C.S. Harris' series coming in a close second). Lady Julia is interesting, spunky, and while very much within her Victorian world, accessible to modern readers. The newest addition to the series, "The Dark Enquiry" was a lot of fun, though the ending was a little sad... (I promise, no spoilers!!) I regularly want to bash Julia and Brisbane's heads together, but they always manage to cool my ire with a touching moment or a triumph that sends me diving back into the plot.

Loads of fun, light and dark by turns, and definitely great for a dark and stormy night!

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (erpedraja) | 4 comments Sarah wrote: "Raybourn's books have become my favorite historical mysteries (with C.S. Harris' series coming in a close second). Lady Julia is interesting, spunky, and while very much within her Victorian world,..."

I love both the CS harris series and the Lady Julia series- have you read the Lady Emily series by Tasha Alexander? Its very similar. How far have you gotten in the CS Harris series? I just finished the most recent book, and am very upset by the kat/hero triangle!