Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > Lady Emily series by Tasha Alexander

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 06:09AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander Tears of Pearl A Novel of Suspense (Lady Emily Mysteries) by Tasha Alexander

The GR blurb for And Only to Deceive:
For Emily, accepting Philip's proposal was an easy way to escape her overbearing mother. And when Philip dies on safari soon after their wedding, she feels little grief; she had barely known him. Now, nearly two years later, she learns that her husband was very different from the man she thought she had married.

Eager to find out more, Emily begins to study the priceless Greek statues her husband collected. Her search leads to the British Museum, where she discovers that a ring of forgers is stealing artifacts from the Greco–Roman galleries. Solving the crime will lead to more discoveries about Philip and cause Emily to question the role in Victorian Society to which she, as a woman, is relegated.

I really love this series, the more I read the more I like it. They are definitely mysteries, and there is a (always tasteful) romance plot weaved through the story as well. The 4th book, Tears of Pearl, is coming out September of 2009 and I am so excited to get it!

Has anyone else read these?

message 2: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) I love this series. The second book was definitely my favorite. I'm eagerly awaiting getting Tears of Pearl A Novel of Suspense. I won it here on Goodreads. :)

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (neferchica) | -3 comments I've read the first three so far and I love the series. I'm eager to pick up copies of the next ones.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 71 comments Thanks to this thread, I just put the first book on my To Read list... will definitely check it out.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 405 comments I'm about halfway through the first book in this series and it has me hooked. I like that Emily is intelligent, funny, and willful--Though not too much so that it wouldn't make sense in her era. She's exactly the kind of heroine I like to see when I read historical fiction set in Victorian England. I really wish I liked her more but I detest how cold-heartedly and neglectfully she treated her late husband, Philip. It really mars my opinion of her.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments I have read all four books, I just finished the fourth one Tears of Pearl: A Novel of Suspense last week. I love Lady Emily and her gumption, especially since the books are set during the Victorian Era, she is full of spunk and somehow she gets away with it. Of course, her reputation is hurt a bit, but mother comes to the rescue...okay that is all I will say b/c I do not want to spoil it for those who have not read these charming books. You should definitely start with book one And Only to Deceive and make your way through the series. The fifth book comes out this October and it is titled Dangerous to Know: A Novel of Suspense.

I actually stumbled upon this series by accident b/c Barnes and Noble was having a buy two p.backs, get the third free and I picked up the second in the series and then of course, I had to buy the first and then I made my way through all four books. The fourth just came out in paperback Sept. 28th and like I said before the fifth is coming out this October.

Enjoy!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (erpedraja) | 4 comments I liked the most recent one that came out last month a lot- I see a lot of similarities between this book and the Lady Julia series

message 8: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I read the first one and then didn't read any more of them. I have the second one in my own library and someday I am sure I will get to it, if I live long enough.

message 9: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I just recently discovered this series because I won a copy of the 4th one recently. After reading it and really enjoying it I have bought the first one and the third one- it was on sale for kindle. I love historical mysteries and I really enjoy the character of Lady Emily.