Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

November/December 2008 > The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Started this last week but haven't had much time to read lately. So far I am about 120 pages into it and it's awesome. It's got everything.... intrigue, romance, vengeance, politics, girls with goth makeup.... I hope to get more into it this weekend. Anyone else read this gem? I know there is a sequel, or another book that follows it, but the author died shortly after submitting them. Too bad! I'll definitely read the next one.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I bought this last month, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I would like to start it sometime before the summer ends, especially after your depiction.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn It really is interesting.... it reminds me of a little bit of Dickens mixed in with a southern gothic tale with an added dash of international intrigue. And yet, it doesn't take place in the south, or even in the US.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I started it and had a hard time getting into it. I think it was a timing problem. I have not heard anything bad about it, and almost everyone I know that has read it has LOVED it. I will definitely check it out again.

I have heard that the second book is even better. I think it is called The Girl Who Played with Fire.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn No, you're right Stephanie. It was a little slow at first. But it gets better once you know all the characters' stories. The chapters are dated...It gets really interesting on Christmas day, which is pretty early on. That's where I decided to stay with it.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Jenn, I read the first two books of this trilogy (it seems that Larsson´s widow was a fourth one, found in his laptop). I hope you like Dragon since Played with Fire is even better!!! I look forward to read the third one who is coming in UK next month....Enjoy then!!

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Thanks Laura! I didn't know about the 4th book, that's awesome. I read somewhere (Entertainment Weekly maybe?) that he was with his girlfriend for years and years but in Sweden they don't have common law marriages or domestic partner rights. She didn't get a penny after he got published. She is currently trying to pass a law in Sweden to rectify this for other couples.
Just a little fun fact to start everyone's day!

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments I just finished this last night. I agree with Jenn about this book. I found it slow at first, lots of business background and details; I almost put it down. I had to take a break from reading yesterday to cook dinner (darn family obligations:) and realized I was thinking about the book and couldn't wait to get back to it. Not sure exactly when the transition from not sure about staying with it to staying up until 2:30 to finish it happened, but what a good story.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Finished this yesterday. Great read. The story centers on a journalist who was convicted of libel. Before he serves his time in jail, he is propositioned by a wealthy business man to solve the disappearance of his neice back in 1966. The journalist takes on the freelance job and, with the help of a mysterious (but brilliant) tattooed girl, becomes involved in a web of family betrayal, deceit, and sadistic torture.

I was slightly disappointed that there were very few (if any) descriptions of the landscape. It takes place in Sweden and the only thing really mentioned is the temperature. But, I'll let it slide.

The author was a journalist as well, and the book is very concise and clear. Not being a financial wiz, I did not have any trouble following the ins and outs of the libel suit. The story is paced very well. It's a little deceiving... there were some parts I found that were slow, but there's always something going on in the slower parts. Pay attention! :-)

I recommend it to anyone who likes crime novels (obviously), international intrigue, computer techy stuff (very hip these days), and putting puzzles together.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I loved this book. I agree that the beginning was a bit slow, but the book is worth the work. The characters were new and fresh, unlike some other mysteries that seem to recast the same hard-boiled detective or spunky sleuth. I can't wait for the Girl Who Played with Fire to come out in paperback.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I took this on vacation in July, but didn't get to it, and since then I keep pushing it aside. As soon as I finish Dune for another book group and The Little Stranger for here, then I'm definitely going to start it. You all have convinced me. I feel like I'm missing out.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura The Portuguese version of the third volume will be available next month!!! I promise I won´t post any spoiler here but I am not sure I will be able to stop teasing you!!! LOL

message 13: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I'm dying to read the 2nd one. They give you a taste of the first few pages in Tattoo (at the end), but I need more baby! Totally stinks that the writer is dead. I think he wanted to create a 10-book series. Sadly, we may only get 3 or 4.

message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen | 10 comments I really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so much so I gave it 5 stars. Have the second one to read soon. Found the country/language differences interesting. This is a super read!

message 15: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm just getting ready to start this book tonight. You all make it sound interesting, so I'm looking forward to a good story.

message 16: by LynnB (new)

LynnB This ended up being a very good mystery/family saga/business intrigue. The mystery was pretty easy to solve, but I loved reading about how they figured it all out. The business intrigue varied between very interesting and very boring. At times the author used too much description that really had nothing to add to the story and much of the graphic violent sex was unneeded for the story ... therefore, some of those sections were skimmed. Overall, though, I did like the story and will read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

message 17: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire. I liked it better than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - though I liked that one too. Whereas Dragon Tattoo had a lot of finances, sex and computers, Played With Fire is more of a detective story though it does have the sex and computer elements still - just a lot less than the first book. It tells the mystery behind Lisbeth's story. I'm going to be reading the third book whenever it comes out.

message 18: by Peyton (new)

Peyton | 2 comments I read the book in July and gave it only three stars because the last 50pp or so were disappointing. I am looking forward to The Girl Who Played With Fire, based on Lynn's description. There was enough good about Dragon to make me wish I loved it instead of just liking it, and still hopeful that one of the three I will love.(If that makes sense).

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen | 10 comments I enjoyed The Girl Who Played with Fire so very much! Did find the ending..a bit...disconcerting but..interesting.

message 20: by Quiltgranny (new)

Quiltgranny Lisa wrote: "I took this on vacation in July, but didn't get to it, and since then I keep pushing it aside. As soon as I finish Dune for another book group and The Little Stranger for here, then I'm definitely..."
So - have you read it yet? I am having the hardest time sticking iwth it!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Not yet! Other books keeping jumping in line ahead of it. I will definitely have it read by the end of November. I have it slotted to read along with the sequel in a reading challenge I'm doing.

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments I finally got around to reading this for book group in March. Like many of you, I found the first part (really the first half) slow. It kept my interest but didn't seem to be going anywhere. All of a sudden it took off and I could barely put it down. I think it was about when Salander and Blomqvist finally started working together.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just listened to a fabulous NPR discussion about this book and its background. If you're into podcasts, I recommend subscribing and listening to this - I know this series has a huge following. His story is quite fascinating - his involvement with politics, why he didn't marry the woman he lived with for 30+ years, why his family is in control of his estate and their intentions. Really interesting.

They talked about how the first fifty pages are SO SLOW and then the book is impossible to put down. When I first tried to read it, I couldn't get into it but enough people have said this that I now own a copy of the book and will be reading it this year.

The original title was Men Who Hate Women.

message 24: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments My brother in law has been trying to get me to read this for awhile. I tried and as everyone has said, the first part was so slow, I put it down. But my brother just keeps raving about it along with everyone else I know, so I think that I will have to give it a try.

message 25: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Patti wrote: "My brother in law has been trying to get me to read this for awhile. I tried and as everyone has said, the first part was so slow, I put it down. But my brother just keeps raving about it along wit..."

Patti, you might try reading a bit farther. I have heard many people -- in various on-line groups and here at home -- comment that the slow part is the first 50 pages, and that's what I would agree with. Slog through those first 50 or so and then it takes off.

message 26: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments I will do it. i would hate to miss out on a fabulous read!

message 27: by Helen (new)

Helen | 10 comments I have read the first/second book of this series and really enjoyed each one. I even like the "slow" parts that set the scene with background information. Really looking forward to the third and very excited to hear there will be a fourth!

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I finally read and finished this last week and I could not tear myself away from it. I used to be a reporter so all the financial journalism at the beginning of the novel didn't slow me down. I find Lisbeth to be one of the most intriguing characters I've ever read. I just kept waiting for her to show up on the page. I'm looking forward to the second and third books!

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I bought this last August and keep swearing that I'll read it soon. Why do I keep pushing it aside for other books? I really think I'll like it, especially seeing the mostly positive reviews.

Sometimes I get depressed and stressed, because I have too many books I want to read!

message 30: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (dottiem) | 13 comments Curious to hear someone say that there would be a 4th book since the author is dead- I had heard that he had only finished the first 3 (of what I think were to be 8) and they were all published after his death - we need a person in the business to give us the straight scoop. I have read all three and if you think the first starts slow, wait until the 3rd.

message 31: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments Dottie wrote: "Curious to hear someone say that there would be a 4th book since the author is dead- I had heard that he had only finished the first 3 (of what I think were to be 8) and they were all published aft..."

This is hardly the "straight scoop" but what I read somewhere was that after his death, his wife found the bulk of the fourth novel on his computer. Anyone have any additional info?

message 32: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Betsy wrote: "Dottie wrote: "This is hardly the "straight scoop" but what I read somewhere was that after his death, his wife found the bulk of the fourth novel on his computer. Anyone have any additional info?"

I don't have any real info either, but I also heard that there was a fourth novel he was writing when he died, and there were notes on others. I'd be interested if anyone has some definite info, too.

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I don't believe this was mentioned in the NPR podcast I listened to. His entire estate was turned over to his family - he was not married because he was an outspoken member of the community about politics and marrying the woman he was with would have made all of their information public, so it was a safety thing. This has to do with laws in the country. They were together for over 30 years, but never married.

(As you read this, keep in mind it is very late here and I listened to that podcast over one week ago. I am trying to remember as much as possible.)

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie If you are interested in this topic, you really want to check out the NPR Books podcast and go back a few episodes to listen. It was fascinating - and I haven't even read the books yet.

A film version is in the works for the first book, but I am not sure when it is coming out. I have heard nothing about a fourth book from any of my resources, and I am trying very hard to stay up-to-date so I can get my web page back up with regular blogs,news, and reviews.

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (torim) | 7 comments I hadn't read the book yet when I went to see the movie last month at my local independant movie theater(The Moxie in Springfield Mo.)A very treasured local gem of a movie theater.
The movie is due out this summer on DVD The Movie is so intense you really don't care thats it subtittled into English. It's a first rate (but rough in someparts) movie. One that sticks with you.

As I understand, The Author wasn't actualy legally married under Swedish law. His loved signifcant other, was able to remove the 4th book from his computer before the family got ahold of it. The Family legaly recived everything ($) from his estate. He was a strong pro-Human rights adovact and that's the underlining strong message in the books. I've read somewhere this series is being considered for the Noble Lit. Prize
I have to say,reading the first book after seeing the movie was a bit diffrent for me. In a way it clairified something. Her long spiked tail is like a metaphore for the actual tale or "story". That long spiked tail that fits her personality perfectly. It repesents the danger that can happen when someone makes incorrect judgements about people they don't know. The swish and bite just might lash out sharply.

message 36: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 14, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Stephanie The Swedish version of the film was released a couple of months ago, but surprisingly, many of the critics here panned the foreign film, although its Rotten Tomatoes score is 86%! I even heard critics say to wait for the American version. WHAT?!?! I want to see it and judge for myself.

My disappointment escalated to new levels when I found out that the US version might possibly star Kristen Stewart (sorry Twi-hards, but this girl loathes anything related, including the scowling, hoodie-wearing "actress"). The other contender for the role of Lisbeth is Carey Mulligan, who was nominated for an Oscar this year for her role in "An Education." A MUCH better pick, and I hope they go with her. I don't think I could watch Stewart on screen without nausea, especially after loving the book so much.

message 37: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (torim) | 7 comments Stephanie I agree, This is a book to love. Amazingly, so is the film. Kristen Stewart would be impossible in Lisbeth's role. Carey Mulligan is just not the best choice for this part. Roomie Pepace makes this film tick. Yes, the male roles could be passed to other actors. Lisbeth's role is so perfectly done by this Actress, Ms. Roomie Repace, it would be a serious mistake to make this film over without her. I can't really add to this post without spoilers possibly spilling out.

message 38: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments I think Keira Knightley could pull off Lisbeth. If you've seen her in The Jacket, she can play a darker role convincingly and I think she also is really good at roles that juxtapose her youth with her sexuality/sensuality - sort of like the character.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (torim) | 7 comments didyou see the film?

message 40: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments Victoria wrote: "didyou see the film?"

Yes, I did - I think my post about it is in another thread. The Lisbeth character was absolutely perfect, but I'm making the assumption that the American version will not select her and want a big "hollywood" name.

message 41: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (torim) | 7 comments Your quite problely right. I saw the new Entertainment magazine. They are suggesting Daniel Defoe or Brad Pitt for one the Industrist. I can see Defoe in the role but not Brad Pit in this role.

message 42: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments Victoria wrote: "Your quite problely right. I saw the new Entertainment magazine. They are suggesting Daniel Defoe or Brad Pitt for one the Industrist. I can see Defoe in the role but not Brad Pit in this role."

The friend I went to see the movie with left me a voicemail because she had just gotten the Enterainment Weekly and couldn't wait to tell me. But she hadn't read the article yet, so was keeping me waiting on all the dirt!

(Do you mean Daniel Day Lewis by any chance?)

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Daniel Craig (James Bond) was the actor mentioned. I agree that Brad Pitt would be a disaster. Entertainment listed several possibilities for Lisabeth, but they also said that the producers were looking at getting an unknown actress.

message 44: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments Melissa wrote: "Daniel Craig (James Bond) was the actor mentioned. I agree that Brad Pitt would be a disaster. Entertainment listed several possibilities for Lisabeth, but they also said that the producers were lo..."

I can see that - Daniel Craig might be a good match.