Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > Politicians? Good and Bad?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 04, 2009 05:38AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wingedbeaver said something interesting in the Palin thread about (I'm paraphrasing here) the quality of today's politicians. It's an interesting issue. I'm not talking politicians who share your view, but politicians who are good (however you choose to define that term) politicians.

Questions...what are the habits and characteristics of a good politician? What about bad politicians?

How should a good politician respond to constituent feedback?

Do you have examples of good living politicians? What about bad ones? Ok, that last question might be too easy...

(Note...today is our President's birthday. In no purposeful way is this thread connected to that fact.)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

A good politician is one who stands up for their constituents without compromising their position. Does one even exist?

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod

message 4: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Bad! There's nothing worse than a politician.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I think the special interest groups make it impossible for any poitician to be completely true to any of their promises

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I know I'm a hopeless optimist, but I honestly believe that the majority of politicians go into the field to serve the people.

But, I also believe that the process and/or the power of the position corrupts a fair number of them once they're in. In local politics, where there just isn't as much power and money to be had, there isn't as much corruption.

I think that we could use more regulation of lobbyists and campaign contributions, to help our politicians who are susceptible to corruption fight it.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I think most do go into politics to do the right thing. I think bills are hidden with lines of bogus crap, so they have to way the good against the bad and who can look good trying to do that.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I too feel that most start out at the low level wanting to do what is right for their constituents. But the whole of politics is a game of give and take, that allows some people to have more "power" than others. Power leads to corruption, it is inevitable. Once corruption enters in the democratic process gets lost. So as Bun stated we may not have it so bad, but it could be so much better.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Bill Clinton did a good thing this week.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Heidi, but something tells me there is more to this than we may know for awhile.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I agree, Heidi, but with no "buts".

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I am happy for those girls,can you imagine what they are feeling?

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I don't know about that. He was there several years and chose not to leave when given a chance. These girls were spared years of hell. Even though that crazy Korean dic is going to use those pictures for his own warped aganda, I am glad Clinton went.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm curious to know what you think Clinton's ulterior motives are, Jane.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

It's kind of a cool post-career job, isn't it.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments You are right Jane,I read something into your post that wasn't there. It is just a great thing for all concerned.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

I know, right? I'd put mine on a beautiful natural overlook, on some hilltop. Then, on nice summer evenings the whole side of the building would open like a garage door, and fresh air would permeate the building.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll bring the tea and cookies Bun.