Homeschoolers discussion

latest fav

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice Spence-sharpe | 6 comments Our latest favorite homeschooling book is "Life of Fred: Fractions." My dd (10) has struggled with math being boring until we found this series. She loves to read and the literary component of this book has her hooked. The story of Fred is funny and silly and covers most everything you'd want to know about fractions. We've not had it long enough to know how much of the info will stick in the longterm understanding part of her brain, but she's having fun and has asked me to order more of the series (which goes through calculus).

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Have you ever seen the 'murderous maths' series of books? Same idea, humor with practical use of math in a story like format. Anyway, I hadn't heard of fred...sounds interesting!

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice Spence-sharpe | 6 comments I have heard of the 'murderous maths' series, but haven't seen any of them yet. They are on my "buy someday" list. Thanks.

message 4: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Smith (ProudGuateMama) We are just finishing reading The Strictest School in the World. This is for our night time read that dad does. It is a very creative book and we have thoroughly enjoyed it. We struggle to find books that are engaging for all of us - I have two 8 year old boys and a 5 year old girl. Sometimes, though, the kids will surprise us and like something historical and nonfiction!

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (Bec-ster) I can't seem to find this book about Fred and fractions, who is the author?
My son was almost in tears today as I was trying to explain fractions. I think I made it a little bit harder then it needed to be. I would love to get more books about math, not textbooks but fun books!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (Bec-ster) Can you believe it? They only have this series in Spanish in our library! I thought that was cool but not cool because I need them in English!
I guess I will need to look in another library system.

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice Spence-sharpe | 6 comments Becky, here's some info that might help you find it. "Life of Fred Fractions" by Stanley F. Schmidt is published by Polka Dot Publishing. There website is polkadotpublishing.com . When I tried to get this book through our library's interlibrary loan program, they said it was too new. It was published in 2007. On the website, you can read a few pages of the book to give you an idea of what it's going to be like. Good luck!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (Bec-ster) Thank you!

message 9: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. We have been enjoying some spooky stories with a twist of morality, Ancestral Shadows, by Russel Kirk. With my kids being older this works. They would be frightening for younger children. What I like about them is that they have a Christian world view which for us means good triumphs evil and evil is not glorified.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen O'Mara | 1 comments My three and I went to the movies yesterday. We watched the film version of Prince Caspian by CS Lewis.

They were pleased with the film but all agreed that reading the book was better. Upon our return home, the comment of the book being better was reaffirmed and they decided to re-read all the Narnia books which commenced immediately.

Apparently, re-reading books runs in the family.

message 11: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrialine) We have a cute intro-to-fractions book that uses a Hershey bar! The kids (only 6 & 4) love it even though we haven't yet actually busted out the chocolate to make it the hands-on lesson it could be. It's titled The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Fraction Book by Jerry Pallotta

Obviously the post I'm replying to is old so this might not help Becky - but maybe a future member of the group.