Good Readers of Scotland discussion

Books by Scottish Authors > Top 100 Scottish books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've decided to make my way through The List's top 100 Scottish books of all time. Someone's been good enough to make a bookshelf here. It will take a few years, but oh well! Is anyone interested in joining in?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfloreyyahoocom) | 1 comments Hi. Where can I f ind this list of Top 100 Scottish Books?

message 3: by Allan (new)

Allan (macindog) | 15 comments Two posts up! Oh okay then - The List's top 100 Scottish books

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 23 comments I finally got the list to come up and was fascinated to find out how many of the books I was familiar with and did not know the authors were Scottish-like J.K. Rowling, who I always thought was British.

message 5: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Anne wrote: "I finally got the list to come up and was fascinated to find out how many of the books I was familiar with and did not know the authors were Scottish-like J.K. Rowling, who I always thought was Bri..."

I think the list is fairly loose with what it considers a Scottish author...JKR wrote the 1st book in Edinburgh from what I remember.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (whatsitcalled) JK Rowling is British. As are all Scottish, English and Welsh people. It's a small point but one that often confuses foreigners.

Rowling was born in England and has lived in Scotland for the last decade or so, which would make her an English author based in Scotland. I'm happy for her to be thought of as Scottish if that's how she thinks of herself.

message 7: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Emma wrote: "JK Rowling is British. As are all Scottish, English and Welsh people. It's a small point but one that often confuses foreigners..."

And we're all Europeans.
But I think most folk will define themselves (if they have to) as Scots/English/Welsh before British...and some will refuse the term altogether.
I know a Yorkshireman that considers himself that first...then English, then British at a push.
I suppose legally it's down to the passport you hold.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you see the documentary where she went back to her old council flat in Leith? If that doesn't make her Scottish I don't know what does!

message 9: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but...if the list is about Scottish "books" does the nationality of the author matter? And what makes a book Scottish? Subject? Where written? Or is it nationality of author after all?

message 10: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Dec 04, 2009 07:00AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa Obisbooks wrote: "Since this is about reading from the Top 100 Scottish books, I'm going to get started with James Hogg - Confession of a Justified Sinner. I have in my possession and am in the mood for an "old-fash..."

It's a smasher. Creepy, and with a sprinking of angry holy ranters...the religous bigotry as relevant now as ever. Satanic machinations or descent into mental illness?

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Old Barbaroosa wrote": And we're all Europeans.
But I think most folk will define themselves (if they have to) as Scots/English/Welsh before British...and some will refuse the term altogether.
I know a Yorkshireman that considers himself that first...then English, then British at a push.
I suppose legally it's down to the passport you hold."

I know this is a very old thread, but I just joined and had to say something about this.

Yes, Scots and Welsh especially will refer to themselves as Scottish and Welsh first, the English seem to be less so. No matter what they call themselves they are British - they live in Great Britain.

I don't understand the reference to passports? There is only one passport for those who live in the UK. The passport says 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'. This includes Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Island.

message 12: by Hazuki (new)

Hazuki | 1 comments most of these books and authors are not Scottish

message 13: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Aye, some have fairly slight connections...