New Canadian Library and other Canadian Lit Challenge discussion

Monthy Book Discussions > Street of Riches or The Tin Flute

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Traceyrb) | 199 comments Mod
Both the above titles are by Gabrielle Roy. Either can be read for July.

I hoped to get Street of Riches but was unable to so have substituted The Tin Flute.

Please post reviews below.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 148 comments Both books are good examples of Gabrielle Roy's writing. I am reading Rue Deschambault(Street of Riches) because it is a nostalgic look ag her childhood in Saint-Boniface, Manitoba.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

I managed to obtain both books. I have finished The Tin Flute which was excellent. Very sad but also very sympathetic. I now have Street of Riches which I will start reading today. I have never read the works of this author before and she is already a favourite. She speaks from the heart and at the level of the people.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 148 comments That is so true, Tracey, she does speak from the heart. Every book of hers is special, but my favourite is Ces enfants de ma vie,Children of My Heart. As a retired teacher I can really relate to her experiences with her pupils, even though she taught in a completely different environment than I did.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "That is so true, Tracey, she does speak from the heart. Every book of hers is special, but my favourite is Ces enfants de ma vie,Children of My Heart. As a retired tea..."

What I felt from reading The Tin Flute is that Roy relates to people from different places but similar situations. She made me feel that we are all more alike than we are different. A very rare talent.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 148 comments I finished Rue Deschambault. I forgot how amazing the last chapter was.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

I didn't enjoy this books as much as The Tin Flute but still a good book. The title itself tells one that Roy believed her growing up experiences to be something to treasure, and those little gems are scattered throughout the stories waiting only to be picked up.

My favourite stories were My Whooping Cough, The Voice of the Pools and by Day and by Night, and the scene in Gadabouts, where Maman meets again her childhood friend, was very touching.

Quotes:
'...revealing to me that sorrow has eyes the better to see how lovely is this world!'

'...almost always throughout my life I have been unable to hear a human say, "I love..." without feeling my heart contract with fear, and wanting with both arms to clasp that so sadly vulnerable being and protect it.'