Mock Printz 2019 discussion

Mock Printz 2018 > July's Selection: Eliza and her Monsters

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Abron | 69 comments Do you think Eliza and her Monsters is Printz worthy? Why or Why not?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennmonk) | 25 comments That was an interesting read. I definitely feel like the author captured the online world of fandom and the strange combination of community and isolation it can lead to. The characters feel very real in all their wonders and flaws. I like how clueless her parents are and yet totally not just filler. They love and care for their kids; they just don't always understand them. There is a bit of infodump for those who already know this world, but that is kind of necessary for those who do not and it is not over done.

I also appreciated how it dealt with anxiety issues and trauma. Pointing out that "having everything" does not preclude someone from these disorders is helpful. Also, showing a variety of ways to deal with them.

Overall, I think it stands a chance of winning or honoring for Printz.

message 3: by Britt (new)

Britt Buckenroth | 6 comments I just finished this today. I really enjoyed it. I agree with the previous comments exactly. As a person who knows nothing about fandoms and online forums I loved learning about that world. I thought the characters were complex and interesting. Of the books I've read so far, definitely in my Printz radar.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (lulu9700) | 11 comments I think this one is definitely worthy of Printz consideration. I felt all of Eliza's family were rich, developed characters and was pleased when she gave Sully and Church more texture and had them play an important role in conveying the enormity of the consequences of outing Eliza as the creator of Monstrous Sea.

Eliza's anxiety and her fear of creating something less than perfect rings true and I felt the author did an excellent job of showing the crippling effects of anxiety and perfectionism. I really enjoyed how her ideas and own creativity could be traced back to an incomplete book series she read as a young teen and her participation in that fandom. The fandom world was great and I felt the author does a better job of building and portraying the fandom than Rowell did in Fangirl (and I really enjoyed Fangirl).

Wallace is my favorite character. I completely empathized with his experiences and understood why his interests had drastically changed. His explanation of how he began writing fanfiction was a great way to tie his tragedy, his love of sports and his now introverted life. I agree with everything the other posters already said as well. I think this book is layered and complex enough to garner an honor and maybe even the gold. I know it is still early in the year, but my other pick is Bang and I feel the characters are much more complex in this book than that one.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Crookshanks71) | 14 comments I liked this one a lot and like some others, I'm not really well-versed in fandoms or webcomics. I have read Fangirl, which gets referenced in reviews a LOT. I like the layered characters. I liked the humor and the very realistic portrayal of an introverts life. I didn't like the bits of the webcomic story (but I didn't like that in Fangirl either).

It's not on my Printz list. For an award winner I want something more original, not something I can easily describe as being like something else. And I've had the benefit of getting to read some fall ARCs that blew this out of the water for me (All the Crooked Saints & Long Way Down). I also recently read Midnight at the Electric and I'm still reeling from that. I'd live to hear some other opinions on that one.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (HeadfullofBooks) | 55 comments I liked, not loved, this book. The conflict seemed a little too self-made and the solutions a little too manufactured. And the cartoons didn't really help advance the story. For a book about webcomics, which contained comics, they should have been an integral part of the story and they weren't. I do think teens will like this story, however, and should be part of the library collections.

I am going to the library webpage to see if I can get Midnight at the Electric after the comment above. :)

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (lulu9700) | 11 comments I enjoyed Midnight at the Electric but I don't feel like the characters are as layered and deep as Eliza. I enjoyed all the characters but felt like there was too much background missing to be an award worthy novel. I needed some world building to explain the way the world worked in Adri's time. I felt the tie-in between the London story and the dustbowl story was too easily tied up in a bow.

I live in Oklahoma and her description of the family experiences during the dust bowl are almost identical to how my grandparents describe their childhood here in the 1930's. I think she did an excellent job with the historical research for that time period. I did bother me that her explanation of why the space launch site was located in Kansas/Oklahoma was because there weren't any earthquakes as an inconsistency. Due to fracking, we currently have more earthquakes than any other place on earth. This is a tiny detail that most won't notice and is certainly not a reason to keep it from an award, but after being impressed by her dust bowl research, I was disappointed she didn't research this as well.

Jennifer wrote: "I liked this one a lot and like some others, I'm not really well-versed in fandoms or webcomics. I have read Fangirl, which gets referenced in reviews a LOT. I like the layered characters. I liked ..."

message 8: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (Robyn_Bravi) | 20 comments Eliza and Her Monsters has some great opportunities for discussion i.e. depression, anxiety, online friendships vs. face-to-face, and fandom. I think the story is one that is relevant to many teens today who are online creating their own content and engaging or not engaging with their fans/viewers/subscribers. But I just did not connect with this book. I wanted to care about the characters of "Monstrous Sea" the way Eliza did, but I didn't understand that story line. I felt that the main story moved really slow since it was developing the fandom world Eliza was struggling with. And the overall conflict between Wallace and Eliza felt weak. In my opinion this is not a Printz winner, but a lot of readers are enjoying it. So who knows? Maybe it will win.

message 9: by MissFabularian (new)

MissFabularian | 11 comments I wasn't drawn into this one. I fell off fairly early in the book.

message 10: by Reving (new)

Reving | 49 comments I really liked this one a lot....https://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2017...