¡ POETRY ! discussion

INTRODUCTIONS > Hello from a new member, and a question

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Baker (heidibethbaker) | 9 comments Hi fellow poets. I just found this group while looking for ways to connect to writers and readers of poetry. I'm still not sure how it all works, but I'll keep poking around and assume I'll understand soon enough. I love the monthly poem contest. It allows me to read a wide range of poetry in a single place.

I saw a message today from someone who was sharing a promotion where his book is free for a few days. Standing only to gain, I bought his book. It got me to thinking. For the purposes of this group, is it effective to share $0.99 promotions for ebooks, or really just when they're free? I have two collections available on Amazon, one soon to be available through Smashwords (once I get through their amazingly and necessarily particular formatting process), so spend a decent amount of time trying to learn how to market my words. Thoughts?

message 2: by Jamal (new)

Jamal Uddin | 188 comments Welcome to the poetry group.I'm also new here and just learning things by simply poking around.You seem to be prolific with publications.We will benefit from your wisdom and insight,no doubt.
Some one in the group will have answer to to your questions.

Jamal

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 795 comments Heidi wrote: "Hi fellow poets. I just found this group while looking for ways to connect to writers and readers of poetry. I'm still not sure how it all works, but I'll keep poking around and assume I'll underst..."

Welcome, poking around is an excellent way to learn about almost anything but dynamite:) so you should do well here! I published my first chapbook in 1995, and have since published 17 more as well as three beautiful hardcover collections through lulu.com. in the 1990s, i was the editor and publisher of a print and online literary paper as well as the owner of a used book store and leader of a local active poetry group, through these activities, i sold a number of chapbooks. these days, i am still active in slightly different ways, but rarely sell a book. i tend to use them as gifts.

I think if you hope to make more than a few hundred dollars from publication of poetry, over your lifetime, you might be being too optimistic. From what I have seen, unless you are in the top 20 most famous and popular poets in the world, your best bet at becoming a best selling poet is to become a major celebrity in an unrelated field. otherwise, I suggest you consider publication as a tool to share your poetic vision more so than a way to actually make any money. On the other hand, if you can manage to give public readings, eventually, you might sell a few of your books....