Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Wordpress Support Withdrawn

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Koit (new)

Koit (gktscrk) | 6 comments I assume I am not the only one to have just received the notification that support for cross-posting book reviews to Wordpress will be discontinued on July 12th.

I tried searching on the public (and secret) sites here to see which was the exact reason for this change but could not find anything substantial.

I was wondering if there is an official release for this somewhere which would detail the technical reasons, and any options on possible future re-establishment of the cross-platform support?

message 2: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Kort (EdwinKort) | 12 comments Since qbout a year I couldn't get this to work at all, so finally I switched to Blogger and have that publish to a WordPress site. Still I'm a bit at a lost of this news.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I know nothing about blogs (don't even read them), but this is a staff comment from about a month ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Koit (new)

Koit (gktscrk) | 6 comments I think this is separate to the widget though, and only concerns the direct publish option presently given for cross-publishing. The WP side widget has been dodgy for a while and at least my WP client doesn't even allow utilising it.

message 5: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (last edited Jul 08, 2017 02:02AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 4161 comments Mod
Hi Koit! The reason Wordpress review sharing capability was removed is because we've made large and steady backend changes to how we store reviews — for better performance (you wouldn't notice these changes on the website at all). The Wordpress sharing capability is no longer compatible with these changes made so we've had to remove the feature entirely, rather than to leave it up and broken.

The good news is that you can still share blog posts between the two platforms with a simple copy/paste. This way you can continue sharing your thoughts about the books you read on both sites! 😊

message 6: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield (LanceGreenfieldMitchell) | 20 comments It is a shame that Goodreads have decided to remove this facility.
Over the many years that I have been a member of Goodreads, it has shifted further and further away from what I signed up for. This is almost the final straw. Cutting and pasting is very easy but is inefficient for the user, even though it may be better for the performance of the Goodreads web site. The simple truth is that Goodreads done really care about their users/members any more.
The answer, for me, is simple. I shall quit Goodreads and stick to publishing all of my book reviews directly on my much more user-friendly and user-considerate blog. I don't need Goodreaads as my middle man any more!

message 7: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Lance wrote: "The answer, for me, is simple. I shall quit Goodreads and stick to publishing all of my book reviews directly on my much more user-friendly and user-considerate blog..."

I will miss your reviews here Lance. I know I could go off-site and still read them, but it is so much easier when the reviews are in one place. I hope you will reconsider leaving.

message 8: by Harini (new)

Harini Nayak (Harininayak) | 5 comments Lance wrote: "It is a shame that Goodreads have decided to remove this facility.
Over the many years that I have been a member of Goodreads, it has shifted further and further away from what I signed up for. Th..."

IDK . I post more reviews here on the GR than my blog . I didnt even know a cross posting existed ... :3

message 9: by Koit (new)

Koit (gktscrk) | 6 comments Thanks Shaun! I wonder whether some sort of a script could still do it, but too much time to investigate right now. Doesn't quite need to be perfect (if it isn't "official") :)

I know that copying/pasting would work, but I hope you can appreciate how annoying that is.

message 10: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield (LanceGreenfieldMitchell) | 20 comments Petra Eggs wrote: "I will miss your reviews here Lance. I know I could go off-site and still read them, but it is so much easier when the reviews are in one place. I hope you will reconsider leaving. ..."

I will probably stick around, Petra. I started my book reviewing here on Goodreads and I have enjoyed making so many frineds. It also seems that my reviews are valued by many. I think that is because I always give my honest opinion and I try to be constructive. I've also gained great value from the reviews of friends whose opinions I trust.

I am just annoyed that the managers of Goodreads have drifted so far from the community they serve. It's a real shame.

Finally, I am not sure if I can be bothered to copy and paste my reviews from GR to my blog. I suppose that I will if I think that my blog followers would be interested enough and if I have time on my hands.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Lance wrote: "I am just annoyed that the managers of Goodreads have drifted so far from the community they serve. It's a real shame."

Not sure how far they've drifted. Improving performance at *this* site seems more important than making things easier at other sites.

message 12: by Faith (new)

Faith | 1170 comments I have copied and pasted every review I have written to at least one other site, sometimes as many as three others and have never found it to be a burden or time consuming.

message 13: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Lance wrote: "It also seems that my reviews are valued by many. I think that is because I always give my honest opinion and I try to be constructive..."

And because you write so well. As you should :-)

message 14: by Emily, Community Manager (new)

Emily (emilyfortner) | 806 comments Mod
Koit wrote: "I know that copying/pasting would work, but I hope you can appreciate how annoying that is."

We know this isn't the ideal workflow for sharing your reviews on WordPress, and we're sorry for any inconvenience this causes! We do hope to revisit options for sharing your content on other platforms in the future.

Lance wrote: "I am just annoyed that the managers of Goodreads have drifted so far from the community they serve."

Thank you for your feedback. Our team is always working to make Goodreads better for our members, but sometimes these changes mean that some features or functionality will no longer work; I understand that this can be frustrating and disruptive to your use of the site. As mentioned above, we do hope to provide additional options for sharing your Goodreads content on other platforms in the future, and we hope you'll stick with us.

message 15: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield (LanceGreenfieldMitchell) | 20 comments I've calmed down now, so I'll stick around for a while, Emily.

I would miss all of the friends that I've made here and their great and varied reviews. Also, the encouragement that I have had for my own writing from GR friends has kept me going when finding time and energy has been tough.

message 16: by Emily, Community Manager (new)

Emily (emilyfortner) | 806 comments Mod
Lance wrote: "I've calmed down now, so I'll stick around for a while, Emily.

I would miss all of the friends that I've made here and their great and varied reviews. Also, the encouragement that I have had for m..."

I'm happy to hear that! We're glad to have you.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Myers (bollydophie2013) | 17 comments I am also disappointed with this change. When a review is automatically shared from GR to WP, it also takes across the book cover, star rating, a link to the GR page and the user's other reviews. This is where I feel let down, as advising that a "simple-cut-and-paste" would work, really wouldn't. I'd have to find and download the cover, add hyperlinks, and try to add a star rating widget (which I have 0 ideas how to do). Also, I have limited storage space with WordPress and will soon start to fill up the memory with the pictures I need. That being said, I still love GoodReads, and if anyone can advise of an easier way to do this, I'd appreciate the guidance? I use Wordpress.Com and not the Org version, and I am in the UK.

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) | 126 comments Faith wrote: "I have copied and pasted every review I have written to at least one other site, sometimes as many as three others and have never found it to be a burden or time consuming."

Well, yeah. That's how I've done every one of the 700-odd reviews on my blog, and how I used to do it when I used Booklikes as well, and how I add reviews to LibraryThing - I have the relevant sites open, write the reviews on Word or Notepad (since Goodreads is notorious for hiccuping and losing them), and then just copy and paste into each site. I prefer to tweak the formatting on the blog so that it looks better - I wouldn't want to have Goodreads cross-post them.

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 784 comments Joanne wrote: "I am also disappointed with this change. When a review is automatically shared from GR to WP, it also takes across the book cover, star rating, a link to the GR page and the user's other reviews. T..."

Load the review page as "view review" and look to the right. Along the right column, you should see:

BLOG THIS REVIEW
Copy/paste the text below into your blog.

There will be a box with html, and it includes the cover and ratings along with links to goodreads for your shelves and the book. The formatting isn't perfect, but you don't have to go searching for the cover, upload it, etc.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Myers (bollydophie2013) | 17 comments Dannie *migraine in 5..4..3..* wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I am also disappointed with this change. When a review is automatically shared from GR to WP, it also takes across the book cover, star rating, a link to the GR page and the user's o..."

Thank you, do I paste that onto the HTML section rather than the normal writing section?

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Myers (bollydophie2013) | 17 comments The integration is still live as of today. I've just used it.

On another slightly different note, does anyone know what will happen to any previously integrated posts? Will they be affected at all?

message 22: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) | 126 comments Joanne wrote: "Thank you, do I paste that onto the HTML section rather than the normal writing section? ,..."

Yes - that includes html formatting.

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 784 comments Joanne wrote: "Dannie *migraine in 5..4..3..* wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I am also disappointed with this change. When a review is automatically shared from GR to WP, it also takes across the book cover, star rating,..."

Yes sorry. Also after you paste it, you can switch to rich text and see it there if you want to make changes or adjustments to it that way.

♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ I like (JeriTaliaRyan) | 5 comments Sure - copy and paste is always possible but lets be honest - the bloggers among us have so much to post that they always aim to keep their work as simple as possible.

And this is really not making our life easier - so this is in no way a good news and I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult to keep wordpress when it seems to be no trouble keeping blogger - I especially changed to wordpress because it is the most supported app..... so what do I do now ? well I tell you .... since I have no option to keep myself organized other than goodreads - I let my reviews now run into a blogger page and copy paste them from there to my wordpress - lol ... talking about making things easy ...

message 25: by Brad (new)

Brad Revell (brevell) | 4 comments Then why did you leave the "Post to Blog" there it isn't available anymore?

Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms (Lexxie_unConventional_Bookworms) | 182 comments I actually do the opposite... I have an application for my Wordpress blog that posts my blog reviews to Goodreads... That way, the copyright for my review is always mine, but it is still posted here - after the fact ;)

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Myers (bollydophie2013) | 17 comments Lexxie, is that Wordpress.com or .org?

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Myers (bollydophie2013) | 17 comments Brad, the "post to blog" button was still posting directly to Wordpress on 14/07, not sure why it is still working but I'm not complaining as I'm trying to hang on for it forever haha

message 29: by Brad (new)

Brad Revell (brevell) | 4 comments Lexie, I would love to know what application you use to do that! Could you please share?

♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ I like (JeriTaliaRyan) | 5 comments Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews wrote: "I actually do the opposite... I have an application for my Wordpress blog that posts my blog reviews to Goodreads... That way, the copyright for my review is always mine, but it is still posted her..."

Yeah - I am with the others .... could you tell us the name of that ? - I did not come across it sofar ...

message 31: by Harini (new)

Harini Nayak (Harininayak) | 5 comments An application for wordpress ? I guess she's using the .org guys . As far as I can tell , the .com doesn't allow plugins .

message 32: by Crumb (new)

Crumb | 40 comments Dannie *migraine in 5..4..3..* wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I am also disappointed with this change. When a review is automatically shared from GR to WP, it also takes across the book cover, star rating, a link to the GR page and the user's o..."

Dannie, I tried doing that today.. it wasn't working. Do I copy and paste the full Html link? It doesn't look like a real link? Is anyone else having problems with this?