Polls for our Souls discussion

What book do you love that others don't seem to really grasp?

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface One of mine is The Godwhale. I find the 2,000-year quest for a new pair of legs fascinating; I find the travel into the future fascinating; I find the future relationship between humans, cyborgs and robots fascinating; I find the destruction and re-creation of the biosphere fascinating

But others seem to read this book and toss it aside with a "meh, it was OK I guess," at best.

message 2: by Annesofie (new)

Annesofie (ananasofie) | 187 comments john green's an abundance of katherines, philippa gregory's order of darkness series, ernest hemingway's the old man and the sea & caro king's seven sorcerers

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface What do people not seem to get about those books, in your experience?

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia Kristin | 3 comments Paper Towns by John Green. I find that some people don't understand Margo at the end, and even get frustrated at her.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam :) (samreadsalot) | 123 comments I absolutely loved reading Lord of the Flies, which is so heavy with symbolism I can barely hold it. It's not that people don't understand/get the symbolism, it's just that I feel that most don't appreciate it the way I do. Oh well, to each their own.

The same thing applies to Paradise Lost. I admit, reading the language is very difficult most of the time. However, I found the struggle very much worth it, because the epic says a lot about religious beliefs at the time it was written, as well as tells an epic tale!

Oedipus Rex is my absolute favorite drama, purely for the element of irony. That kind of humor is the reason I love Greek mythology so much. It doesn't take itself seriously, which is awesome! I loved reading that play so much, and I wish more people loved it the way I do :)

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam :) (samreadsalot) | 123 comments Annesofie wrote: "john green's an abundance of katherines, philippa gregory's order of darkness series, ernest hemingway's the old man and the sea & caro king's seven sorcerers"

I just picked up An Abundance of Katherines from the library. What about it do you think people didn't understand that made them not like it the way you do? I want to enjoy reading it. (no spoilers, please!)

message 7: by Annesofie (new)

Annesofie (ananasofie) | 187 comments it just seems to bore people & the mc tends to be annoying. i thought it was a lovely fun read though

message 8: by maria (new)

maria (maria-blackthorn) | 33 comments The Fault In Our Stars - I just read this at the right time in my life and it was a book that got me back into reading/contemporary. I honestly adored tfios

message 9: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 2 comments I'm going to say Bird Box, alot of people hated the ending but to me the ending and the fact that the characters never see what they are meant to be afraid of seems just right.

message 10: by Beagle Lover (new)

Beagle Lover  (BeagleLover55) | 56 comments John Dies in the End by David Wong. I thought this novel truly refreshing for it's humor, imadinative plot, outrageous senarios and intrigueing protagnonists.