Books and Jams Readalong discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
Ready Player One - July > Chapter 1 - First Impressions

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 441 comments Mod
I read the first chapter AGES ago for a Try-a-Chapter tag for my youtube channel. I don't remember much though, so I'm going to start over What do you think after the first chapter? Is the writing style easy to get into for you?

message 2: by Jenn (last edited Jul 14, 2017 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (sterlingmccord) | 30 comments Krista wrote: "I read the first chapter AGES ago for a Try-a-Chapter tag for my youtube channel. I don't remember much though, so I'm going to start over What do you think after the first chapter? Is the writing ..."

I just completed chapter one. As a child of the eighties, I enjoy the references to eighties pop-culture. The writing is engaging and think the book will be a quick read.

I'm not loving the negative references to God and faith, however I am still finding it to be an entertaining read.

Wendy (Wmaresca) | 103 comments So started this morning and the first chapter was interesting. Not sure how I am going to like this book. I love all the 80's reference since that is when I grew up. But I was never a big gamer so that is going to be the diffucult reading for me.

message 4: by Debbi (new) - added it

Debbi Faust | 92 comments Wendy, I feel the same way. I am just not sure about the book yet. I was very much alive in the 80's but I don't even know what an Avatar is. Guess I will have to google that and find out.

Wendy (Wmaresca) | 103 comments ok so I just made it past chapter 8 and moving on to chapter 9. Haven't been able to read much because I started back to work after a week vacation. So, I think it is pretty cool how they go to school over the computer. I know we now have homeschooling but the way they do it where they can talk with one another and travel to different worlds and see so many different things.

Also the Stacks are pretty strange. Stacking Winnebago's and trailers on top of each other. How do they not fall.? I kind of feel bad also for the main character,Wade it seems like he has a very lonely life.

Hopefully things get better for him throughout the book. So far it is just ok to me but I do want to know what happens.

Diane | 11 comments I am intrigued by the premise. I almost always find the first chapter of a book slow-going as I get used to the author's writing style, but I am getting the impression this book is going to have a lot of action so I think it will pick up for me soon.

Krista (booksandjams) | 441 comments Mod
I was drawn in by the first chapter. The stacks were hard for me to picture too, Wendy, until I remembered that's the picture on the cover of my book. It's still hard to imagine them built on top of each other though. What a crazy world. I felt compassion for Wade right away. Living in this setting and so lonely. My heart really does go out to him. I like it so far and am intrigued by the gaming aspect.